The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Marmalade

(22 posts)
  • Started 13 years ago by Christine Berrett
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone

No tags yet.

1. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Horrible grey, wet, drizzly day today, so I'm making some marmalade to bring the sunshine back into my life!

Posted 13 years ago #
  2. Brigitte Gant

Yes, it certainly is dull and grey outside. I am going to 'amuse' myself with the ironing. DH and I had a weekend in Lincoln and now it's back to the boring housework.
    However, it's off the the Tuesday Stitch later on and then see my darling little grandsons.

Posted 13 years ago #
  3. Oooh - long time since I made marmalade. I also used to pick the little crab apples off the little tree in the front garden and go down one of the back lanes to pick blackberries and make jelly from those. Himself loved it of coure - men enjoy this sort of thing much more than all these fancy haute cuisine stuff you get in restaurants, I had to keep making steamed suety puddings to drizzle the warm jelly over and then custard over that. Luvly! What memories you've evoked Mrs. Berrett - perhaps I'll think about it again roundabout August time when the fruits are right. Thank you for that.

Posted 13 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

If you don't like cutting up the fruit etc., I think a good alternative is to buy the stuff in the Lakeland catalogue, and cook it yourself and bung it in jars. Lazy way of doing it I know, but some of us don't have a lot of time. Get out the violins!!

Posted 13 years ago #
  5. Auntie Beryl

We have made marmalade from tins for years. It is certainly a lot nicer than the bought stuff. You can also make it the thickness you like . We have Gibralter marmalade .... Rock of ..... It never slips offmy toast !

Posted 13 years ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hello Auntie Beryl.

The marmalade I made today looks ready good - it's a beautiful golden colour, with the peel well distributed in the jars. Hope it tastes as good as it looks :o)
    And it was no trouble to make, really. The trickiest part of the whole operation was judging when it had reached "setting point".

Thing is, I still have plenty of seville oranges left, so will be hunting out some more recipes - Whisky Marmalade, perhaps??? Luckily I have plenty of jam jars available...

Posted 13 years ago #
  7. Andrea Thompson

ummm do'ya know I think I should have bought the book I saw in the library last night, and sent it to Christine. (The library were selling off old books)
    I did suggest that Auntie Beryl might have liked it ;-)
    I wish I had bought it now.
    I'll let Auntie B tell you what it was called.
    hehe

Posted 13 years ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Ooooo, now I'm really intrigued!

Posted 13 years ago #
  9. Auntie Beryl

Really ,Andrea , how do you exspect me to remember the title of a book after anights sleep ! I can hardly remember my own name . Do you want me to get it for you ? I will probably know it when I see it .On second thoughts perhaps you should just remind me of the title !

Posted 13 years ago #
  10. Andrea Thompson

Auntie Beryl you have a very good memory!
    The book was called "Cooking with Booze"
    If Christine would like it then I'm sure we could get it to her :-)

Posted 13 years ago #
  11. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

LOL, how well you know me!

I have a fridge magnet which says:

"I love to cook with wine.
    Sometimes I even put it in the food"

Posted 13 years ago #
  12. Auntie Beryl

Our very words ! ! This friendship gets deeper by the minute !

Posted 13 years ago #
  13. Barbara Stone

Is there any other type of cooking except with Booze? (Hic)

Posted 13 years ago #
  14. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Not in this house, there ain't.......

Posted 13 years ago #
  15. Barbara Stone

Actually, since my husband took over the cooking (well he's got nothing much else to do), and he doesn't cook with booze (or not very much anyway). Might have to take back the cooking!!! (I cannot believe I just offered to do that!) This insanity will soon pass I hope.

Posted 13 years ago #
  16. Brigitte Gant

Would I recognize a sane Barbara?

Posted 13 years ago #
  17. I think we are all a little insane, I know I am, my little gey cells are having a hard time of it at the moment to much work and stress,roll on April for a stress free week of fun and laughter with the girls

Posted 13 years ago #
  18. Brigitte Gant

Yes, Helen, one does not have to be mad to fit in with our crowd, but it sure helps.

Posted 13 years ago #
  19. Barbara Stone

Nobody would recognize a sane Barbara. I will need a week of relaxation along with all my other mad friends to get over the panto - roll on next Monday when it will all be over.

Posted 13 years ago #
  20. Ruth Harrison

I didn't think there was such thing as a sane Barbara? Do you have that ever so rare thing called a sanity certificate to prove you are sane? If so where can I get one? I have not been sane for years, am permanantly round the bend and its great.

Posted 13 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.