The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Help me to motivate

(54 posts)
  • Started 13 years ago by 140559
  • Latest reply from brenda midgley

No tags yet.

1. 140559

Despite several tries I just can't get motivated with my stitching. I've only finished one project since being in hospital in the summer. I need someone to set me a target and check on me! I've several new projects to start but cant decide. I need someone to say "do this one" and then check up on me! Any volunteers?

Posted 13 years ago #
  2. Flee

I will whip you into shape and keep a check on you!!!!!!!!

What have you got to start????

Posted 13 years ago #
  3. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Agreed!

List what you've got and we'll soon get you sorted between us :o)

Posted 13 years ago #
  4. Auntie Beryl

I suggest something small and easy . i.e. look in your "bit box" and do a coaster or a lavender bag for your wardrobe . Sometimes I find a large project a bit overfacing and a small piece is more relaxing . I hope you soon feel better and "raring to go" .

Posted 13 years ago #
  5. 140559

Thank you for agreeing to get me over my slump! I've been looking through my stash (bigger than I care to mention!) and have selected a few as possibles. I have a pretty coaster kit, a pin keep that I got from Jane's sale bin, a really cute old fashioned Winney the pooh, a lighthouse and an old fashioned sampler. I await suggestions as to where to start!

Posted 13 years ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Ok, so the pin keep should be nice and quick and easy to do - try starting with that.

Posted 13 years ago #
  7. Brigitte Gant

Definitely pick out something on the small side. That way you get a result very quickly and you will want to do more. How about a long narrow band and stitch on a letter of the alphabet in different styles?

Posted 13 years ago #
  8. 140559

I'll start the pin keep tomorrow and will let you know how I get on. Thank you!

Posted 13 years ago #
  9. Brigitte Gant

How is the pin keep coming along, Alison?
    You did not think that you could get away with empty promises, did you? Don't forget, we are all rooting for you.

Posted 13 years ago #
  10. 140559

I've just sat down after cleaning the kitchen! My treat is to spend the afternoon sewing! I will let you know how it goes this evening xxx

Posted 13 years ago #
  11. 140559

Not doing great. Opened kit, sorted threads, glanced at instructions and found the pattern. After a few rows I began to have some doubts. It looked like the sewing wouldn't fit on the material. I went back to the instructions and found the problem. The design is for 2 strands of floss over 1 thread of 28 count linen. Now, my eye sight is not bad but this is impossible. It's a case of sew 2 stitches and then undo and go again. It's a nightmare!

Posted 13 years ago #
  12. Jean Strange

I had that problem with a pin keep too. I didn't realise it was over 1 either. Mine is in the UFO pile at the moment. Perhaps try the coaster kit if you can't face the pin keep at present. Or like Brigitte suggested a long narrow sampler as each "row" doesn't take long and you feel like you've done something!

Posted 13 years ago #
  13. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Oh dear, I hadn't realised that the pin keep was over one thread! I'm sorry I suggested it, now, but I thought it would be quick and easy - how wrong can you be!

Oops....

Posted 13 years ago #
  14. 140559

I'll have another go tomorrow. I hate being beaten by a piece of material and some threads! I'll let you knowwhathappens

Posted 13 years ago #
  15. I did exactly the same. Started a pinkeep and couldn't understand why it was so large until it dawned on me that I should have been working over 1 thread. it turned out alright in the end after some reverse stitching. keep at it. It will come right in the end or as Brigitte suggested perhaps a narrow band to start with.

Sally

Posted 13 years ago #
  16. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Just checking how you are getting on?

Posted 13 years ago #
  17. 140559

I'm going to tackle it this afternoon. After brain surgery i am not going to be beaten by a liittle piece of material! Will report how I get on tomorrow

Posted 13 years ago #
  18. Ruth Harrison

I never knew that a little bit of material could do so much damage to one's ego or self esteme. You are the boss, not the material, and whatever it looks like its ok and uniquly yours. (sorry if the spelling is off, bad work day).

Posted 13 years ago #
  19. How are you getting on the the wretched piece of material? Hope it's now under control or have you started the coaster instead?
    Helen

Posted 13 years ago #
  20. 140559

Going to have another go when I've finished my coffee. I WILL WIN! Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't read the instructions carefully!

Posted 13 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.