The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Where is everyone?

(40 posts)

No tags yet.

1. Hi

Where is everyone? Are you all too busy to chat? I expect to see lots of stitching from everyone when we meet up again. I’ve missed chatting as it’s over 6 weeks since I last stitched. It’s only in the last week that I’ve managed to do a few stitches before I put my work down, so I look forward to hearing from other people, but everyone has been so quite. Never mind it won’t be long before we meet on the coach for Scotland by which time I hope to be stitching a bit more. And we can all have a good gossip. Look forward to hearing from you all.

Sally

Posted 12 years ago #
  2. 140559

It has gone a bit quiet hasn't it. As someone who's not allowed to go to Scotland (stupid surgeon) I hope there's going to be loads of photos taken. I really hope that this forum wakes up as I'll be incarcerated in the Royal Free from Monday and my BlackBerry will be my link with the rest of the world!
    Alison xxx

Posted 12 years ago #
  3. 140559

It has gone a bit quiet hasn't it. As someone who's not allowed to go to Scotland (stupid surgeon) I hope there's going to be loads of photos taken. I really hope that this forum wakes up as I'll be incarcerated in the Royal Free from Monday and my BlackBerry will be my link with the rest of the world!
    Alison xxx

Posted 12 years ago #
  4. 140559

My computer thinks it's all gone quirt too. That's why it sent the last message twice!

Posted 12 years ago #
  5. Hi Alison

We'll make sure that you see plenty of photo's.

Sally XX

Posted 12 years ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

It's very frustrating that we can't post photos on this forum. Grrrrrr.

Posted 12 years ago #
  7. Barbara Stone

I was thinking exactly the same thing as Sally, that as nobody was talking, obviously we were stitching. However, I must admit that I haven't done very much (in fact none at all) cos I've been busy doing stilly things like making cakes for my two coffee mornings in aid of Macmillan Cancer relief. Raised over £50.00 just by asking for donations for a slice of cake. Quite chuffed about it. Looking forward to Scotland, and when are we going to have to pay for it?, but I promise Alison, I will take lots of photos and send them to you. When you're lying in your bed, and recovering very nicely, and thanking Colin, you'll be able to look at them, and see what a good time we had, and look forward to Norway. See all the rest of you on the coach!

Posted 12 years ago #
  8. Auntie Beryl

I was beginning to wonder where everyone had got to . I will be away for two weeks from Friday , please save anything exciting until I get back !I have already packed my stitching , I am making a start on Christmas cards . Why is it , in all my years of organizing Christmas (60), I am never ready ! !

Posted 12 years ago #
  9. Doris

Seeing as how I'm too far away to join in the stitching trips (that was whining but probably won't work, huh?) I'll just assume you're getting entertained by Barbara. However, I will be on the Norway trip. Am so looking forward to it and letting Jane "sort" me out. LOL

Doris

Posted 12 years ago #
  10. Sue Robinson

I am not doing much stitching, but I am knitting for a change, but I wwill have to get cracking soon on 2 wedding samplers. I am glad that we did not put you off going with us again Doris. Look forward to seeing you again on the Norway trip.

Posted 12 years ago #
  11. Brigitte Gant

I don't know where the time goes. After getting back from Germany I seemed to be busy catching up with chores and then DH and I went to the VMCC ralley in Saundersfoot, South Wales for almost a week. Again playing catch up at home. Went to Windsor Great Park today to cheer my daughter on. She was running the Half Marathon in preparation for the London Marathon next year. I am glad to put my feet up in my Thora Hird chair as I must have walked the best part of four miles and stood about. I bet Isaac was asleep in the car seat before their car had left the car park. Am busy stitching a picture for DH's big birthday, but fear it might not be ready. It takes longer than I had anticipated. Would someone volunteer to do my housework for the next four weeks so I could non-stop-stitch? (I am not holding my breath)

Posted 12 years ago #
  12. Jean Strange

Yes everything had gone quiet. Back at school not so much time to do things. Also bought a lovely new caravan to use as a "weekend cottage" in the New Forest. Spent this weekend there sorting out the last things my husband didn't manage when van delivered. I was at Jane's for a day workshop when van delivered!! Far more important.

Posted 12 years ago #
  13. Andrea Thompson

I haven't done much stitching either and I blame one of my friends for it entirely. She's leant me all the Harry Potter Books. I hadn't read them before because I wanted to see all the films first. I find that I can enjoy a book after seeing the film, but can't enjoy a film after reading the book! Hence seeing all the films before even thinking about opening the cover of the books.

Since everyone raves about the books, and since I'm the kind of person who takes an instant dislike to things that everyone else likes - just for the sake of it - I had almost hoped to hate the books. Instead I can't put them down! They really are really, really good. And so well written! I've just finished the Order of the Pheonix (Book 5) and the way she'd written Harry's anger and frustration, and him taking it out on his friends... it just reminded me so much of being a teenager again. Oh the injustice, the unfairness and how nobody understood me. Why couldn't they just all see it from my point of view? <sigh> thankfully those days are long gone! But she captures it so well in the books.

I'm also finding it much easier to follow what's going on. Sometimes I would get completely confused in the films, but with the books it explains more of the background, more about what can and can't be done and why.

There is one additional drawback, apart from the lack of stitching - the lack of sleep. I like to read in bed to help me nod off. And it works... usually... but these daft, silly books won't send me to sleep. I've had to force myself to turn the lights off at 2am without a trace of tiredness! I pay for it the next morning when my alarm goes off at 6:30 though!

Only 2 more books to go and I can get back to embroidery again :-)

Posted 12 years ago #
  14. Hi
    It's good to know that everyone is still out there. I've never got into Harry Potter Books but if they are as good as you say Andrea I might give them a try. What did you think of the New Forest Jean? That's getting close to my part of the country.Two of my daughters and their families spent a week camping there this summer and they loved it. Well I must get back to my stitching now that I am able to do a bit.

Sally

Posted 12 years ago #
  15. Jean Strange

We have had a caravan in the New Forest on this site for over 10 years now, it is just that we have treated ourselves to a brand new luxury van. We love it there the site is a small family run one with nothing but good loos and showers amd lots of play space for kids, a track which you can walk round the farm and a lake for fishing if you are into that. It is in a friendly village, where I even go to the hairdresser when I am there!!

Posted 12 years ago #
  16. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hi Andrea

Good to hear that you are getting stuck into the Harry Potter books at last! And I'm very pleased that you are enjoying them so much :o) I know they are not to eveyone's taste, but I just love them!

I do know what you mean about being put off by a book's popularity - many years ago when I was a student, everyone raved about Lord of the Rings to the extent that I positively avoided it. Then, at a rather dull party, I sat on the stairs reading a copy (only book in the house) and couldn't put it down. I had to leave the next morning with Frodo arriving at Rivendell and I immediately went out and bought my own copy. That copy has been read and reread so often that it's fallen apart and so I'm on my second copy! (Same thing happened with Pride and Prejudice btw).

See you soon

Christine

Posted 12 years ago #
  17. Jean Strange

Don't mention Harry Potter in this house!! I am the person who after book 1 had to pre-order 2 copies of every book because my husband said I took too long to read them and he wanted his own copy to read at the same time. Well at least we have come to the end of the series and it is now re-reading them. Just waiting for the last film to be released on DVD.
    Know what you mean about Pride and Prejudice and in fact most of the Jane Austin novels Christine. At the Newbury Show last week I got copies of 2 books by a modern author which are based on these novels but set in the present day haven't read them yet but will let you know what I think when I have.

Posted 12 years ago #
  18. Barbara Stone

I know exactly what you mean about re-reading books. I really love the Harry Potter books, I've just finished re-reading Pride and Prejudice, (and I can quote large chunks of dialogue from the television adaptation) and I'm now re-reading all my Dorothy Simpson Inspector Thanet books. Trouble is, I read too much and end up not stitching. Couple of weeks ago, my husband took me out for the afternoon and we ended up in the New Forest. We both love going down there (if only for the day) and as its only about 70 miles away, we can get there fairly frequently. Its only a two hour drive away. You never know, I might see some of you down there one of these fine days.
    Doris, what do you do for relaxation on your weekends? Do you stitch or do you do some other things? I'd love to know!! (I'm basically nosy!)

Posted 12 years ago #
  19. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Sounds like many of us read the same sort of books - perhaps we should have a Cross Stitch Guild fiction library!

Posted 12 years ago #
  20. Jean Strange

Barbara, from where I am in Berkshire, The New Forest is only about 1 and 1/2 hours tops. Which is why we have our weekend retreat there.
    A Guild library sounds like a good idea only need to work out how to swop and return books.
    Would like to meet up with anyone coming The New Forest way if we are there at the same time. Post here and I will send e-mail/mobile phone numbers etc.

Posted 12 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.