The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

(77 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by Linda
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone
  1. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Barbara, if it weren't for the operation I could quite envy you!

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. Brigitte Gant

Good luck, Barbara. Hope all goes well. I shall be thinking of you sitting there enjoying your stitching.

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. All the best Barbara. Will be thinking of you. It should give you a chance to get lots of stitching done. Look forward to seeing it all when we next meet. Sally

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

Thanks for all the good wishes. I'll be in and out on the same day, and then I can sit and stitch non-stop. I should be able to get on with my tablecloth, that I bought after I'd been to Bonheur des Dames, 5 years ago, and which isn't even half done yet. Plus I've got my Norwegian jacket to do, and a patchwork quilt to do some work on. I don't think four weeks is going to be long enough do you?

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Barbara, hope the op was OK and you are feeling better and doing lots of stitching!

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

The Stitchers Retreat also needs lots of little tables to put our bits and pieces on, and waste boxes for the thread ends.

Posted 11 years ago #
  7. Barbara Stone

Slaves (also known as husbands) would be quite nice as well, to serve us our meals, bring us our drinks and look after our every whim. Had my op. on Tuesday morning and was home by 11.30 a.m., cos I had a block instead of a general anaesthethic, so Tuesday afternoon was spent, sitting on the settee, being waited on hand, foot and finger, by my beloved slave, while I stitched my tablecloth. The op. was completely successful, so I've now got to sit with my foot up for four weeks, - think how much stitching I can get done.

Posted 11 years ago #
  8. Glad to hear that all went well Barbara. Have a lovely time stitching with the knowledge that you don't have to get up and get things done.Make the most of it. Sally

Posted 11 years ago #
  9. Brigitte Gant

Good to hear all went well, Barbara. I can just picture you looking all sorry and sore and enjoying every minute of it all. You will clear such a backlog of stitching. Don't forget to give the 'slave' a cookie every now and then.

Posted 11 years ago #
  10. My slave thinks he'd like a cookie, just cos he cooked tea
    He's now gone to sulk & wash the bike

Barbara, glad it all went OK. Did you opt for the block to keep an eye on what was happening?

Helen

Posted 11 years ago #
  11. Barbara Stone

Naturally. As a theatre nurse, who's never even seen the op I had, I wanted to know what he was going to do, so when they offered the block, I jumped at the chance. It was very interesting, and he showed me why it was so painful when I stood on it. Not stitching as much as I could, cos there are lots of people of the television hitting a little yellow ball around, so I'm watching that between stitching.

Posted 11 years ago #
  12. Jean Strange

Hi Barbara
    Hope the foot is healing well. Know what you mean about the television. Fiona came over for a day this week and we spent the time stitching and tennis watching. Think I might spend this PM stitching as my back is playing up today so won't be able to do much of that gardening that is staring at me!! Might go and pull a few weeds so that the guy who is coming to put up new fences, hopefully tomorrow, can get there.

Posted 11 years ago #
  13. Barbara Stone

Hi Jean, hope your back doesn't become too much of a problem, so in the meantime, if I were you, I'd stitch and ignore the weeds, cos they'll still grow despite anything you do. Hope you feel better soon. (And the foot is healing well thanks)

Posted 11 years ago #
  14. Jean Strange

The back I'm afraid is an ongoing problem and the reason I'm in compromise agreement negotiations with school as they think someone with my quite bad back problem can work with 3 year olds in nursery. Sitting in chairs designed for less than 5 year olds and playing on the floor with them etc. The chiropractor report says definatley not as does all others but they seem determined to ignore it.
    Did manage to pull a few weeds out between the rain. Just enough so that the guy who is supposed to be putting up new fences can see where he is going!!! But looking at the weather that might not happen.
    Will definately be stitching this PM with TV on to watch Wimbledon even if it is only Centre Court matches at least it is something.

Posted 11 years ago #
  15. Barbara Stone

Tell the Chiropractor to write letters to all relevant people and see where that gets you. Hope you succeed. Failing that, a consultants report is always helpful. So I hope you feel beter soon. I'm afraid the weeds will hve to wait, as it is still pouring with rain here,(and has been for the last few days) but at least the tennis is fun.

Posted 11 years ago #
  16. Jean Strange

Yes enjoying the tennis.
    Everyone has taken note of the report from chiropractor except the Head at school. The Occupational Health Nurse keeps saying "How can they possibly expect someone with this back condition to work in Nursery? Why couldn't they leave you doing previous job?" I had an Ergonomic assesssment carried out by a NHS Physiotherapist and he said the same but the Head still thinks it right to ask me to do this job. Anyway have been signed off sick since Feb with stress/depression related to this. Waiting to hear from my union on next negotiations.
    Between the rain yesterday landscaper got new fence panels up.
    Have done some sewing and managed to finish my Fleur Pocket yesterday. Back to next page of Flower Sampler Book today.

Posted 11 years ago #
  17. Barbara Stone

Spoke to my beloved slave about your problem, and he reckons you ought to take out a personal damage claim against the Head. Sounds a bit extreme to me, but as he was in union work when working, he knows about these things. Apparently if you've got all the paperwork, and everybody knows that you have an ongoing problem, and the Head has been told about this problem, if he/she continues to make you do this, and it has aggravated an existing back problem, then your union solicitor could start a claim against the Head, and he/she would't have a leg to stand on. It would be laughed out of court. You're probably completely up to date about all this anyway, but if not, hope this helps, (and of course I hope you feel a lot better soon.)
    Got lots more sewing done yesterday, after watching Andy in the tennis, cos I turned it off after the women came on. Why do they have to scream so much? They never did it when I watched it when I was younger. I suppose I'm getting older and less tolerent.
    Just realised, this lot of correspondence has gone a long way from welcoming the lady who started it, but thats the nature of the beast.

Posted 11 years ago #
  18. Barbara Stone

Sorry, meant to say that any counter claim against you by the Head would be laughed out of court.

Posted 11 years ago #
  19. Jean Strange

Thanks Barbara, my union is pretty good. I belong to ATL who are very proactive in these situations. We are going for a compromise agreement for me to get away from the stress etc, asap.
    Still getting lots of stitching done. I know what you mean about the women screeching they didn't do it when I used to go to watch the tennis in Bristol.
    Weather a bit better today have even seen that yllow thing up in the sky for a few minutes!! ( dare not say word or it might disappear again)

Posted 11 years ago #
  20. Barbara Stone

It did!!! It was out for 5 minutes, now its grey again!!!

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.