The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Harrogate Show

(43 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by franfletcher
  • Latest reply from Monica Langstaff

Tags:

1. franfletcher

Hi folks,greetings from Northumberland. First time I've used this, but I've had lots of fun reading other posts. I'm off to the Harrogate show on the Saturday and staying overnight. Anyone else staying over and fancy meeting up for a meal in the evening?

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. Hello Frances - long time no speak. I will be staying with friends, driving up from Kent on Saturday, and will be at Harrogate on the Sunday so if you are there again for a second day will look out for you.

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. Hello Frances - hope you find someone to meet with. It won't be me sadly. I've never done the Harrogate show but keep promising myself 'one of these days'. I had got a bit excited about it as I noticed a local coach company is doing a trip there, but then my brother rang to ask if he could come for a few days - that same weekend! - and of course you don't say 'no'; so it's out for this year I'm afraid.

Monica - am using my bag. Everytime I look at it I'm amazed it was only £1 - it's so well made; and actually came in very useful as something to carry my wadding in that Barbara got for me - a HUGE great piece - that was cheap as well. Leicester was good in more ways than one! Love Brenda

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

Brenda, if you need more, let me know and I can get it to you fairly easily. I don't very often get wadding from shows, because they tend to sell only half widths, which bugs me, so next time you need it, let me know and I'll get it when I next go to class. I keep on wanting to go to Harrogate as well, but never seem to have the time. Hope you have a lovely time Frances.

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. franfletcher

Hi Monica I have a two day ticket just in case I dont see everything on the Saturday, so will maybe see you on the Sunday.

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. Barbara luv - I can't see me needing any more wadding for a while - the piece you got was HUGE! - so wide. I think I could make a life-size double decker bus in wadding and still have some left over for a clippie's uniform. Ah now - I can see the younger element scratching their heads and muttering 'what's a clippie'. Well you see in my younger days we had these extra members of staff on the bus with their little coloured cards and little machine to clip them with. Nowadays of course we just slap a piece of plastic on a reader and off we go. How times change.........oh Gawd - excuse me while I go and get the violin out!

Posted 11 years ago #
  7. Andrea Thompson

I remember bus conductors :-)
    Just!
    I must be older than I think!!!!!!

I spent this morning explaining to one of our younger employees that we didn't use computers at school, when I was at school and he looked really surprised. It wasn't even that long ago! at least not to my mind.

Posted 11 years ago #
  8. Janet Nicholl

We had to use our brains - it was called mental arithmetic - I can never get over the puzzled look on the young shop assistants face when I give them a note and the odds, they haven't a clue!!
    Remember going home with a list of 10 spellings to learn by the next day - no spell checks then either.
    Brenda - It was after I started work that we went through decimalisation and then the change from Purchase Tax to VAT - all without calculators and monthly stock take calculations were made with pen, paper and brain power ......
    But I do love the communication so easily available now -

Posted 11 years ago #
  9. Barbara Stone

I remember clippies, and their funny little machines, where they had to turn a handle before the ticket came out, (but that was on London buses) and using my brain. I don't do it so often now, which is the reason it is atrophying at an alarming rate, but once upon a time it worked (which is more than it does nowadays). I know I'm getting older, but I realised how old I was when one of my colleagues wanted to know what a threepenny bit was, and I was the only one out of a room full, who had actually used one. Scuse me, I'm just going to join Brenda in duet for violin and zimmer frame....

Posted 11 years ago #
  10. Hi Frances, good to hear from you. I won't be going to Harrogate as work is manic at the moment & I haven't even thought of it. Besides I have more thatn enough projects to keep me going.

As for the rest of you, how did you get side tracked this time?
    I remember bus conductors, but not clippies - I've seen enough episodes of On The Buses to know what they are though.
    I remember getting spellings to learn & can do mental arithmatic (quicker than some of the kids can use a calculator). At least we'll always know what change we should be getting.
    Barbara when I was growing up I had an old tobacco tin that had cardboard play money in it. All the money was pre-decimal, so I learnt to count pounds, shillings & pennies even though I don't ever remember actually using them. Also, imperial measurements mean more to me than decimal ones - Mum takes the blame for all that

Like Andrea we didn't use computers at school. The BBC computer was just arriving on the sceen when I left school. However, like Janet I thik it's wonderful being able to write a "letter" to lots of people all at the same time

Take care everyone
    Helen

Posted 11 years ago #
  11. Oh Barbara - threepenny bits - now they really were a long time ago - and hands up everyone - without too much thought now - how many half crowns made a £1?

Yes Janet, I too can remember our school rules on spelling. We were given 50 words every Wednesday and were then tested on them the following Wednesday. You will never convince me that spelling doesn't matter. All those poor children who were told it wasn't so important. YES IT WAS!! When I worked in my recruitment officer capacity I lost track of the number of young people leaving college who told me the subjects they were studying at 'Collage' - English Litrature, Mathmatics - can't think of any more at this moment, but I cringed at the amount of times I saw the very subjects they were studying - spelt incorrectly! To my mind it didn't put them in a good light and would also rebound on whichever organisation eventually employed them.

Oh just don't get me started - I could go on forever and if anyone dares to mention the word 'apostrophe'.............! tomatoe's, potatoe's, chip's - oh - I feel a suicide coming on.

Anyone care to join Barbara and me on our violin and zimmer frame?

Posted 11 years ago #
  12. Barbara Stone

Helen, when I went to school, a computer was something only available to people who put others on the moon, we thought they were really posh!! The idea of having a personal computer was science fiction as far as I was concerned. We had spelling tests and we had to pass with 95% before we could have the next test. Children nowadays use so many abbreviations on their phones when texting, they don't have the vaguest idea of what the correct spelling is. Anybody got any idea how you play a zimmer frame. Do you use a bow or pluck it? Suggestions please.

Posted 11 years ago #
  13. Janet Nicholl

I have just looked back through this - it's Brenda's fault we went off topic with busses and clippies!! (hope the apostrophes are in the correct places!) and I compounded it - isn't it fun :-) :-)
    Much more interesting than a whole page of notes and comments on cycle wheels ---- see another previous post!
    Off out now so will leave you lot to continue unless supper duties call. XX

Posted 11 years ago #
  14. Frances - One of my friends will be in a red electric buggy probably so I will be hovering around one of those, plus said friends husband.
    As to spellings etc - my grandchildren go to a very small grant maintained school. They have to do spellings every week, they do their times tables, and are not allowed to use computers or calculators except in special circs, also have to practice their handwriting as part of their homework so all is not lost. Lauren is just 9 and Daniel is just 7 and I can say they are better than many teenagers who as you say Brenda are worse than useless these days.

Posted 11 years ago #
  15. Missed an apostrophe, did anyone spot? Sorry Brenda

Posted 11 years ago #
  16. Jean Strange

Having just "retired" from teaching I can say that spellings and tables are in vogue again in most of the schools I know.

I remember bus conductors in Bristol too and can even remember one particular man who was a great character and worked on the route I used to get to college every day.

As for decimal currency that happened when I was in the 6th form. We were going on a trip to The Old Vic in Bristol connected with our A level English and we were told the price in "old money" and my friend Anne piped up "OK and how much is it in this new Mickey Mouse stuff then?"

My husband started working in computing at the beginning when they first started to appear in offices and they took up whole rooms!! I know he has said in those days programming could mean going with a screw driver and soldering iron!!! Or at least it wasn't sitting at a keyboard typing in instructions.

Posted 11 years ago #
  17. Yes Monica - friend's husband!

So pleased to hear things are improving in schools nowadays; that means I can put my orange box away again

I can hear you all saying 'Hurray for that!' Oh well, I'll just shut up then shall I.........

But before I go - how many of you played with orange boxes as children - now in my young days we put wheels on 'em and dragged 'em along with a piece of rope tied on, giving each other a ride in turn - what? - what are you saying? - Oh Gawd - here she goes again............

Posted 11 years ago #
  18. Barbara Stone

Talking about computers that took up whole rooms - my brother tells me he had a lecture from one of the guys who invented the Colussus computer at Bletchely Park, and then couldn't get recognition because of the Official Secrets Act. Apparently, that computer took up a space that was at least 60 yards by 30 yards - now thats some computer, and he can't even be sure of the sizes, because they never measured it properly. Hells Bells, my house is smaller than that!!! And No Brenda, I've never played on an orange box. Obviously I had a deprived childhood.

Posted 11 years ago #
  19. AND - what about those things in shops where the money was put in a tube and handle pulled and the thing whizzed across to the cash office! Nothing computer driven there.

Posted 11 years ago #
  20. Auntie Beryl

I remember those , Monica. It was mainly in the Co-op I think . Can you remember the "Divi" number ?and queing up to collect the cash . There is something to be said for modern technology , I now have a card that is "swiped" and the money goes into my account . I now have a new phone , It should have come with a Techno Wizard and a Translator !

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.