The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Cross stitch guild

(22 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by hippojah
  • Latest reply from Marie Stein

Tags:

1. hippojah

Hi all

I am new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am thinking of joing the guild.I would not be able to go to any classes etc, so it would mainy be for the mag. I usually do larger projects although not exclusivly, but am wanting to take it to the next step, as it were. (Running out of wall space). WhatI am asking is would the magazine help me, what sort of projects does it include.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jane

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. carly

The magazine includes traditional sampler type projects with different kinds of counted stitches, hard anger and drawn thread work as well as small projects such as scissor keeps and needle tidies. As a member you get discount from the online shop. The members area online also has some sale stuff and free charts too. Well worth joining I think.

Hope this helped you

Carly

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. SLATEK

Hello all
    I definitely think it is worth joining the crossstitch guild. The magazine is a joy. There are so many projects that do not have to be put on the wall. I wish I had the time to do them all. Also there are lots of other advantages to being a member. The discount and free postage for one and the free gift is worth half the cost of the membership.
    All in all I think it is great value for money.

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. Jean Strange

I have been a member since the very beginning (I am a founder member) and have never regretted joining. I have made some good friends through attending classes including some who live close enough that we get together to stitch and chat outside these classes. I know you say you wouldn't be able to attend any classes but you will soon make friends on the Forum and feel you know the people personally.
    Another good thing is that as a member you can often buy materials packs for projects in the magazine (everything except the chart) before the project becomes a kit in the CSG range. These packs are usually a bit cheaper than the full kit too. It's almost like "insider information". The magazine often has lots of different projects as others have said, small and large some simply cross stitch others with other counted thread types of embroidery I always wait for the postman when a new issue is due (like tomorrow or Thursday hopefully) as Jane has put on her Journal that they were posting yesterday and today.
    Hope you join and look forward to chatting via this Forum.

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. I totally second what Jean says.
    I've been a member from the start as well (what number are you Jean?) and never regretted it. I've made some really good friends over the years & it's really helped me through some low points.
    If you can manage to go to a weekend you'll find everyone really friendly & helpful.
    I can't wait to sit down with my new mag & a cuppa.
    Helen

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. Barbara Stone

I have never regretted joining the guild. I've met so many nice people through it, I've got friends who I met when away with the guild, and we all seem to get on so well, that its just like a glorified party when we're all away together. My life would be extremely boring if I hadn't joined and met loads of new friends, and although I wasn't a founder member, I did join in the first year, but it just seems like yesterday. I can guarantee that if you join, you won't regret it either, and you'll soon be going to events and enjoying yourself as well.

Posted 11 years ago #
  7. Brigitte Gant

I think I only missed the first 5 or 6 months of the CSG. I would be pounds richer, but heaps poorer for all the lovely folks who are now part of my life.

Posted 11 years ago #
  8. Jean Strange

Hi Helen
    My membership number is 0080 followed by the year and the month that Jane set up the guild. Just worked out that is 17 years!!! What lovely days out, weekends away and friends in that time.

Posted 11 years ago #
  9. MORTON

I am in yr 2 of membership and I don't go to the classes due to other commitments but was heart broken when I thought I would not be able to afford to rejoin.
    Eventually I hope to get to one of the classes but not sure if I would fit in lol x I think the membership is well worth the money x

Posted 11 years ago #
  10. Hi Jean - you're just before me my number is 0111, same year & month

To anyone thinking of going to a weekend or class you're sure to fit in - we're all as 'sane' as each other & really friendly

Helen

Posted 11 years ago #
  11. Marie Stein

Hi Hippojah, I joined the Guild last month and I'm already getting the benefits! You not only get the magazine but a gift, which is a little pair of scissors which I've been using since they arrived, plus a voucher off anything else in the shop, as well as the discount. I've also got a lovely big wadge of linen for £20, some of which are really good size pieces and perfect for big projects, with lots of smaller bits I've been using for practice.
    The main thing for me is that I've only recently started stitching after seeing Jane on C&C and I'm really impressed by the learning side of the Guild. I'm hoping to get along to an event later this year but that's really the icing on the cake, so to speak. I definately think that the membership is worth the money even if you can't get to any events. And you could always try the "taster" membership which I think covers a 3 month period.

Posted 11 years ago #
  12. hippojah

Thank you to all of you for taking the time to answer my post. It certainly sounds like the guild is for me. I have been cross stitching for a number of years and watching Jane on C&C has whetted my appetite to expand my stitching. I've made a biscouru from Jane's iStitch program which my son bought me and am itching to try Hardanger if I can pluck up the courage. (Perhaps start small)

Jane

Posted 11 years ago #
  13. Tina Lamborn

I only joined the guild a few months ago and already am enjoying it so much. Itch to stitch magazine is great with ideas for projects. If you haven't tried Hardanger treat yourself to the ebook Hardanger for the Horrified. I did and now have to decide whether to do cross stitch or hardanger! It is really worth buying. The two together go well. I am looking forward to go to one of Jane's linen classes. I am staying overnight nearby as I have over two hours drive, but really looking forward to it, so do join the Guild am sure you will be glad that you did. Tina

Posted 11 years ago #
  14. RozMinis
    Blocked

I'm in my second year of membership. Wanted to go to one of the classes in May last year but couldn't book because I was expecting a thumb operation, but didn't have a clue when. By the time I found out it was way too late, then the op was moved to a month earlier, so I could have gone - grrrr.

Was going to book for Ackworth this year, but we had already booked a holiday, so that is another year down the pan. :( Oh well, fingers crossed that I will be able to go to the Knitting & Stitching show at Harrogate later this year, if I have any money left after the NEC that is! ;)

Posted 11 years ago #
  15. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

My everlasting regret is that I cannot claim to be a founder member - I only joined in 2005.
    I haven't looked back since!

Posted 11 years ago #
  16. Rita Barron

Me too Christine! I collected everyone of Jane's magazines and when she founded the Guild and stopped the magazines I don't know why I didn't join then?! I suppose the kids were little, life was busy and I just never got round to it. So glad I am a member now as I have made some wonderful friends, had some lovely weekends away and of course all the other benefits of being a member!

Posted 11 years ago #
  17. hippojah

I finally did it. I have joined the guild. My membership pack came yesterday and I spent ages just flicking through the catalogue. So many pretties. Where to start.

Posted 11 years ago #
  18. Brigitte Gant

Well done and Welcome to the Mad House. Where to star? No, the CSG is like a ring. There is no beginning and no end, it is just there. Brill.

Posted 11 years ago #
  19. Barbara Stone

Welcome to you from me as well. Enjoy your membership and look forward to meeting you if you can make a weekend. Barbara

Posted 11 years ago #
  20. Jean Strange

Well done and welcome. We can appear a bit mad sometimes and these discussions often go off in very different directions we end up "talking" about something completely different to the original post but all good fun.
    I'm sure you will soon feel you know us and be joining in with the rest of us.
    Off to make a cup of tea and sit with the project started at Pinks last Saturday (the new Pansy needle book etc shown on the home page on the right.)

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.