The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

French Trip

(35 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by junefromak
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone

Tags:

1. junefromak

Was hoping there would be some reports of your activities in France. Full of envy here. June

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. Brigitte Gant

I came down to earth with a bump today having to tackle an overflowing linen box. Margaert has gone back to her home, so my house seems a bit empty. Were it not for my 'wardrobe' still standing in the dining room and a bag of goodies, last week might well seem to be a dream. Elizabeth's boss came up trumps and my little travel brolly had a nice roundtrip again without coming out of my bag. What a week. I did very little stitching, as I was too busy looking out of the window of the coach and taking in as much of the sights as possible. I came away a happy little bunny from Pour l'amour du fil, clutching yet another alphabet book. (I since have ordered and received two more which I resisted at the time, with the feeble excuse that I wanted to spare Malcolm the extra strain of heaving my case onto the coach.) I think I speak for every traveller that Jane and Bill took us on a magical tour yet again.

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Ann S

It was my first trip with CSG so I can't say 'again' but otherwise second what Brigitte has said - it was quite wonderful.

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Spot on Brigitte, another great trip. And friend Pauline's first trip went down very well despite being locked in the loo twice - once in Angers and once in the gents at Fecamp!

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

!!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Barbara Stone

Don't ask Christine - the time at Fecamp was hysterical to the rest of us but for poor Pauline, it must have been a nightmare. Sorry Pauline, we didn't mention anything for fear of embarrassing you. But seriously, we all had a fantastic time, but I had to come back down to earth swiftly in order to return to work, and also finish the quilt, so I could hand it in for assessment. And I did so yesterday, so tonight I can stitch without thinking I've got some sewing to do. However, the bags will be made very soon ladies who have requested them. So now I'm looking forward to next year - please Jane??

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Ann S

Next year? Yes, please, Jane. Dates asap to ensure I don't let anything else get in the way!!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I understood that Jane's trips for next year were already on the website?

http://www.thecrossstitchguild.com/Events_and_Classes.aspx

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. Ann S

Yes, those with Arena tours are but many of those on the French trip did or/their best to persuade her to try to fit in at least one of 'her' trips, albeit only, perhaps, for a long weekend. Whether or not we'll succeed is yet to be seen.

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. Barbara Stone

Some of us can't afford to go to France, Norway or the States with Arena travel, on a trip where you don't do anything else but stitch and still have to pay for all your meals, so we've been doing our level best to persuade Jane to go somewhere else, that we CAN afford. Hopefully, Jane was talking about Honfleur again, and I know I'd like that, especially if it were combined with a trip to Nantes and the quilt fair again. .

Posted 10 years ago #
  11. Jean Strange

I agree with you about the Arena trips. As I have now officially retired if there was an affordable trip I might well consider it next year. As you say an expensive trip where you still have to buy all or almost all meals is just too expensive.

Posted 10 years ago #
  12. Barbara Stone

Shame, beause they sound good, but as you say, just too expensive. Might have to consider a do-it-yourself trip with a few others, if Jane doesn't do one, that we can all go on.

Posted 10 years ago #
  13. Barbara - great idea. Count me in and I am sure Pauline as well should it happen. See you at Swindon xx

Posted 10 years ago #
  14. Ann S

Barbara, Can I come too? Please, please, pretty please....

Posted 10 years ago #
  15. Brigitte Gant

I would certainly make every effort to come along. Love the idea of three days in Honfleur plus the travel day either side.
    Pretty please accepted, Ann.

Posted 10 years ago #
  16. Janet Nicholl

Before the trip to France there had been some mention of a possible weekend in 2014 to include the Goodheart samplers at Montacute House (pre booked so we saw the collection, not the few they display!) and maybe the Bristol sampler museum. I am sure Jane would not do both with the three trips abroad already on the calendar and a UK trip would be less expensive than travelling all the way to Honfleur - lovely though it is. The cost of travel plus coach on the train etc would add up and it would have to be longer than Fri to Mon because of distance, maybe causing a problem in booking time off for those unlucky enough to still be working!

One other thing to consider is that some of our number cannot get travel insurance at a reasonable cost for European travel but travel cover in the UK is still within reach.

Just my tenpennoth to add to the debate!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  17. Jean Strange

I remembered a discussion about a UK trip next year but couldn't remember where was discussed. I would certainly consider a trip to Montacute and although a Bristolian have never been to the sampler museum. Is it called The Red House? Would certainly try to afford that one!!
    Yes please Barbara if you are thinking of anything keep me posted. I have your e-mail will send you a quick Hello message so that you pick up mine. Not sure if I gave it to you before or not.

Posted 10 years ago #
  18. Brigitte Gant

Yes, Honfleur would be lovely, but to be honest, I am not bothered about the destination as long as there is a destination. I really don't want the recent trip to be the end of our touring days.

Posted 10 years ago #
  19. Ladies,
    Can I give a piece of information at this point? My husband owns a coach company (Bikeliner Coaches) so perhaps he can be of service if you are wanting to put something together? He does trips to France and in the UK regularly for his cyclists, and I'm sure he would be able to do something for CSG members. He knows what stitchers are like - he puts up with needles everywhere, bl**dy great frames (his words)etc. Not wanting to influence anyone - but if we can help then please let me know.

Posted 10 years ago #
  20. Barbara Stone

Annie, thats really good to know. Please give him some names, in case he gets a phone call from somebody who claims to know his wife, and wants information. What area of the country are you in? Thanks for the help anyway.

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.