The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Counting Pins

(25 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Brigitte Gant

No tags yet.

1. Hi Everyone - Just thought I'd do a posting re Jane's Counting Pins.

When we were at the Swindon weekend I bought a large and smaller one. Just so pretty. Well, you might like to know that I used the larger one the other day as I was doing a folded hem. You know what I mean - the scoring of the 9, 9, 7 technique.

The large counting pin did some brillient scoring lines. Its sharp point (held at an angle so's not to ruin the fabric obviously) just held firmly in place on the fabric line as I pulled the fabric along. It is also thicker than a cross stitch needle so I felt confident that it wouldn't snap in the middle - (I always get the feeling a cross stitch needle might do that) and finally having a nice chunky bead on the end made me feel I really had something to grip onto.

The technique I'm talking about is in Jane's Cross Stitch Bible in case you don't know it.

Not long now to Leeds for those of you who will be there. No doubt Jane will have more counting pins there for sale if you want to think about it. If you get there before me though and buy them all up (as I do want to purchase some more) I shall be really cross with myself for telling you all! Brenda

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

11 sleeps to go to Leeds :o)

Using the counting pins as scoring tools is a BRILLIANT idea, Brenda. And, as you say, the pins are so pretty too. I've always been a bit wary of using a needle to score the lines, for the reasons you state, so maybe I'll invest in a counting pin at Leeds to use for this purpose.

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Rita Barron

Wow only 11sleeps to Leeds can't believe it is so soon! Soo excited!
    I too would love a counting pin. Sounds a great idea Brenda! Might succumb too if there is one left by the time I get there!
    Anyone know how far the hotel is from the station? I haven't been to Leeds before or at least for about 50 years! I guess it will have changed a bit!! Rita

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Janet Nicholl

11 sleeps!!! I can't believe how fast his year is disappearing. I too am looking forward to Leeds, especially the visit to Ackworth.
    Rita - I think the hotel is almost next to the station - from the hotel web site:

Getting to hotel from Leeds City Train Station by foot

Leeds City Train Station is approximately a three minute walk to the hotel; leave the station via the main exit near Marks and Spencers. Cross the road via the pedestrian crossing and go down the staircase to the right of the taxi rank. At the bottom of the stairs take a right and continue along the road and under the recently refurbished railway bridge. Hilton Leeds City is located approximately 200m on the right.

See you soon for a good catch up!

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. Janet Nicholl

The counting pins are beautiful, I admit to being one of the ladies at Pinks who got first dibs on Jane's initial delivery! Her face was a picture when she came back from putting the coffee on and found that all but one had vanished from the tray! She had more supplies by the time we went to France and some at Swindon so should be some in Leeds.

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Pam D

Only 11 sleeps, I am so looking forward to our trip to Leeds and Ackworth. I was one of the enthusiastic stitchers who fell for the counting pins. such beautiful colours and useful too.

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Pam D

Only 11 sleeps, I am so looking forward to our trip to Leeds and Ackworth. I was one of the enthusiastic stitchers who fell for the counting pins. such beautiful colours and useful too.

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. Su Maddocks

11 sleeps to go - can't wait as am so looking forward to catching up with old friends and meeting new. There had better be some pins left for those of us who haven't been lucky enough to get any yet. I wonder what the project will be? Jane says it has been inspired by Ackworth - see you soon.

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

See you all at Leeds - 10 sleeps now!

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. I was greedy & got 3 pins at Swindon & have another 4 on order from Jane
    I have one holding my chatelaine together & the others are really useful for holding the ends of band samplers rolled up whilst working on it - much prettier than using old nappy pins

I'll see you all at Ackworth as I can't stay the weekend. I'm hoping to be able to come & spend a bit of time with you all on Sunday

Helen

Posted 10 years ago #
  11. Just seen your posting Rita - Janet is right with her instructions. As you come out of the station bear over to your right and you will see a sort of covered in stairway. Just go down those stairs and turn right, and under the bridge. The hotel is on the pavement side you are walking on just a little way further on.

Word of warning! - keep your luggage to a minimum, the stairs are steep and your case/trolley thing will soon feel cumbersome if too large - and please - hang on to the rail!

See you all there - it'll soon come round now. Love Brenda

Posted 10 years ago #
  12. Rita Barron

Thanks Janet and Brenda for the instructions-sounds quite straight forward! Thank you Brenda for the warning I will be careful! Don't want any accidents before I even get there!! Can't wait to see everyone and see what you have been all been stitching! Sooo excited!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  13. Got my new counting pins today - they'll soon be sitting in pieces of work

Rita,
    If your luggage is a little heavy you can get to the hotel & not go down the steps, it just takes a little longer
    Come out of the main entrance of the station & turn left.
    Go past the tourist info shop to the traffic lights (where the taxis all have to stop before leaving the station).
    Cross this road - just the single lane bit & NOT the next 3 lanes as well
    Turn right down the sloping pavement
    This takes you past the exit of the steps, under the railway bridge & to the hotel without having to carry your bags
    Hope that helps
    Helen

Posted 10 years ago #
  14. Oh now,there you go, Helen's got another route which I didn't know existed - so you can now take as much luggage as you like!

I'm still trying to get my head round her using nappy pins prior to owning the counting pins. I'm getting visions of 'the girls' (her chickens) running round in Pampers.......

Posted 10 years ago #
  15. Rita Barron

Oh wow thank you Helen! I will see how heavy my bag is and have a peep at the steps and make a decision! Thank you so much for this. I have absolutely no sense of direction so if I'm not there for tea perhaps some kind person will come and look for me?!

Never thought of using nappy pins - very resourceful! I have been using hair clips?? About time I was meeting up with you all again! Getting too institutionalised up here!! 10 sleeps to go!

Posted 10 years ago #
  16. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Only 9 sleeps to go, Rita!

Posted 10 years ago #
  17. Rita Barron

Oh even better!! Dopey me counted next Friday!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  18. Ah Rita luv - you can't help it if you were born stupid, as long as we know, we'll just make sure we'll treat you gently.

Ha! - gotta laugh haven't you. When you think about it - the things we 'chat' about on this forum sometimes bear no relation to stitching at all. When Jane first brought this lovely Guild to fruition she must have had some hazy lovely pictures in her mind of nice women (and men - sorry lads!) devoted to producing seriously beautiful stitched pieces of work whilst conversing eruditely on issues of the day, with thoughtful and insightful views on world and political situations and what did she get? - a bunch of idiots, talking a load of waffle and being incredibly rude to each other!

This makes it wot - 8? sleeps to Leeds now. Suitcase out and clammering at me 'Fill me up and let's get going'.

Meeting Mrs. Berrett on the train, well someone's gotta make sure she gets there okay.

Posted 10 years ago #
  19. Brenda
    I can just see the chicken in pampers - it would be a lot easier to clear up after her, but what would she do with egg?
    Are you sure Christine's not looking after you on Friday?
    I've got one extra sleep, a camping weekend with the bike people & a trip to the Rocky Horror Picture Show before I catch up with you all at Ackworth. I have 2 bags almost permanently packed - one for hotels & one for camping.
    I'm sure Jane prefers us as we are to the rose tinted view of genteel people quietly working away. You know she gets worried when we do go quiet!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  20. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I'm not sure who will be looking after whom, Helen, but I do know one thing - the weekend starts when we meet up on the train!

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.