The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

The Great Tapestry of Scotland

(22 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Tinouche24

No tags yet.

1. Hello All. Just had to write and tell you of the amazing exhibition I attended in Edinburgh yesterday - The Great Tapestry of Scotland. Those of you living in the area will no doubt have been aware of it for some time. For those of you who haven't yet seen it YOU MUST GO!!

It consists of 165 panels, each one metre square and the whole thing has been done in crewelwork (despite the use of the word 'tapestry'). I bought the book and will quote below a paragraph from one of the opening pages:

"All over Scotland, handovers have been taking place. Packages have changed hands in doorways, on kitchen tables, in coffee shops, at the school gates, rolled up, wrapped in cloth, folded inside Marks & Spencer carrier bags. One even made its way back and forth on the ferry between Harris and North Uist, watched over by the crew. Precious packages. Packages of craftsmanship, packages of history"

The planning of this work began two years ago - and even then it was given the date of September 2013 to go on show in the Main Hall of the Scottish Parliament. In that time span the historical facts were decided upon, arranged into chronoligical order and the artist Andrew Crummy commenced drawing, bringing to life all the information gathered together. Following this, Dorie Wilkie and her team of volunteers took over and traced all Andrew's designs onto linen and made up packs for the stitchers with the panel, a coloured illusration and a selection of wools.

Several stitchers could be involved in just one panel and on most of them can be found the initials or names of the stitchers. In all 1000 stitchers took part.

I was privileged yesterday to be introduced to Dorie Wilkie (she, as a gifted stitcher herself, became the co-ordinator of all the stitchers and panels).

As some of you know I stitch away at a band sampler in a sort of diary mode and I took my latest section with me and I was over the moon when Dorie agreed to sign on it (so's I can stitch over her signature.) I then met another lady - Christine Simm - who did some of the stitching on Panels 70 and 76 so we too had a lovely chat and she also signed my band sampler - I tell you I was nearly wetting myself with pleasure! She told me that she had been 'volunteered' (rather than offered herself) and said when the parcel arived at her home she nearly died when she unwrapped it and saw what she had to do. Also she didn't know the other ladies who stitched it with her and they had to work their way round who was doing what and when; to ensure it got completed and returned to Dorie.

I intend bringing the book with me to Leicester so's you can have a look at it. As for the tapestry itself, it is hoped it can do a tour round England and will also go to North America before finally being found a 'forever' home. Personally I think it would be brilliant if it could find its way to Ally Pally for 2014 - this would ensure that hundreds of stitchers would see it and be able to appreciate all the work that has gone into it.

My feet still haven't yet touched the ground!

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. SallyH

Hi Brenda, it sounds as though you had a very interesting day and that you thoroughly enjoyed yourself.I'm looking forward to seeing your book and hearing all about it at Leicester,also to seeing your band sampler with the signatures on.it would be lovely if we get the chance to see the tapestry. I can only imagine the hours that went into stitching it.

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Barbara Stone

Hi Brenda, saw a snippet about it on the box a couple of days ago, and was fascinated by it, but you're extremely lucky to have seen it all in situ. Good idea about getting it to Ally Pally, but looking forward to seeing the book at Leicester. See you there.

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Hi Sally and Barbara - been sitting this afternoon stitching over the signatures of the two ladies. I indicated to them both whereI would like them to sign on the band so it left a gap over the top that I could fill in with wording of what the occasion consisted of; so I've also been scribbling on some graph paper to work out what I could actually fit in. Anyway that part of it is all done now, so I'm pleased with it so far.

There are some poignant pieces of work in this Tapestry - one - which is written about in the book - relates to the panel on the sinking of the Iolaire on the 1st January 1919. A lady on the Isle of Harris was one of the stitchers for this and records how raw the emotion still is for some of the Islanders as this Admiralty yacht was bringing home the Hebrides troops who had fought in the First World War - surviving four years of what we now know must have been hell on earth - only for the yacht to founder within sight of Stornoway harbour with the loss of 205 lives. It must have been a highly emotive piece of work to stitch.

Interestingly enough is the fact that all the panels are stitched in Appletons wool - with the exception of Panel 93. This one - entitled 'Scots in India' - is stitched all in stranded cotton. This isn't noted in the book anywhere, but Christine Simm gave me this information. I went and studied Panel 93 again after Christine told me that and a lady at the side of me said 'I don't know why, but I really like this panel - the colours seem sharper and the designs more clearly etched' - so I told her what Christine had told me. When I went into the shop and bought the book I was fascinated to see that the design on the front cover consists of the Turban worn by the Indian featured in Panel 93 - so when you see the book, even if you don't look beyond the front cover, it will give you some idea of the work that went into it.

For any Scottish ladies reading this who now feel tempted to go and have a look at what they should proudly regard as their heritage - I must tell you that the exhibition is on until the 21st September. If you go by train make your way out of Waverley Station on the Market Street entrance, turn to your left and go down to the bottom of the road (T junction), turn left there and then down to the bottom of that road (T junction) turn right. Follow that road down to the bottom and it comes to a main road (again T junction) and then turn right again and you will see the Scottish Parliament building with a wonderful backdrop of mountains behind it.

They have a security system as you go in whereby your coat has to come off and that and your bag have to go through an x-ray machine. Belts too have to be removed to go through and whilst waiting in the queue for this I suddenly had a mental picture of all the gentleman standing patiently waiting to get their belts back - with their trousers round their ankles!

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. parddu

It sounds fascinating. I have ordered the book as I haven't a hope of being able to see the tapestry itself.

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Janet L

Thank you Brenda for highlighting this tapestry. I saw some of the panels at the Creative Stitches exhibition at the SECC in Glasgow in the spring. There were a couple of completed panels and at least one work in progress. To give you some idea of the scope of the tapestry it is longer than the Bayeau tapestry and similar in that it tells the history of Scotland along its length. Don't think I am going to be able to see it in Edinburgh but the idea is for it to go on tour. There is a website as well as the book. Try http://www.scotlandstapestry.com and see what you get. I have yet to spend enough time exploring the website.

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. SallyH

Thank you Janet. I have just glanced at the web site and it looks fascinating. Will have a better look later as It will take a while to study it properly.

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. Brenda, this sounds wonderful. If it could come to the Harrogate show that would make the entry fee well worthwile.
    Don't forget to bring the "diary" to Leicester

Helen

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. Su Maddocks

Hi Brenda - thanks so much for making us aware of this amazing project - I have the book coming from Amazon (should arrive today ) but would so love the chance to see it in "real life"

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. Hello all - how lovely for you Janet to have seen some of it at the SECC. It does pay to go to shows other than those nearest to you. I went to the SECC myself some years ago now and there was a display of someone's work there then which was absolutely amazing. Cross with myself now that I can't remember what it consisted of, other than to know that it related to matters indigenous to Scotland as a whole or Glasgow in particular. Have never seen it anywhere else.

I've also been to the Pins and Needles event at Newcastle on Tyne - couldn't possibly forget that one! - up to my knees in snow that year - haven't felt tempted to go again (unless they shift it away from February!)

I'm just extremely fortunate that living in Crewe it's a wonderful station to catch a train from as it seems to be the gateway to just about anywhere. The fact that my Geoff is a retired railwayman means I have a little card that gives me free or privilege rate travel tickets which is such a boon!

I really do hope, therefore that The Great Tapestry does do the rounds of the shows - other stitchers will really appreciate the work of it all, whereas those who don't stitch could be forgiven for looking and thinking 'that's nice' and moving on without really giving it any in-depth study.

You will enjoy the book even without seeing the panels in real life. It's nicest aspect is that it's not written in a boring stuffy fashion but is full of interesting stuff and contains many references to the stitchers and their problems and stories with their panels and you get a strong sense of the pride (totally justified) they feel in having taken part in producing it.

Love to all - I'm going to shut up about it now as pretty soon there's going to be a great roar 'Oh Gawd - she's not still going on is she'.......

Posted 10 years ago #
  11. Janet Nicholl

Hi Brenda - you have done it again - introduced us to a fascinating project which will be a must see if it travels down south! Like Su I ordered the book, it arrived yesterday and so have only dipped in so far but am looking forward to the rest. It seems a very "readable" masterpiece and if the forward is anything to go by it will be fascinating.
    Sorry I will not be in Leicester to see your latest diary stitchy entry! Maybe if there is a weekend next year we can catch up.
    Off to Jane's iStitch course next Saturday and that's my lot until next year. Can't believe it is less than 6 weeks now before we leave the UK. No Brenda - no suitcases out yet, probably the day before knowing us! Everything booked, visas sorted, map book lent to us with camper van sites marked, just a route and itinerary to plan and pack of course!
    Have a great Christmas everyone - I guess we will......
    XX J

Posted 10 years ago #
  12. Hello Janet - oh thank you very much (says she sarcastically) - you've gorn and mentioned the 'Christmas' word! - you do realise you will now spiral downwards in the popularity stakes!

Yes, you are right, the Tapestry book is written in a very readable way - with warm human stories.

I had remembered you are off to t'other side of the world later in the year so do have a really good time and you can tell us all about it at a Guild weekend next year - (hint to Jane - start organising gal!) Love Brenda

Posted 10 years ago #
  13. Janet Nicholl

Sorry Brenda :-( :-( Forgot you are a sensitive little soul when it comes to the C word :-) :-)

Don't think Jane reads the forum - maybe I will ask when I am there on Saturday trying to learn the intricacies of the iStitch software!!

Maybe see you at Ally Pally on the Thursday? Looks like quite a gang will turn up at 2pm on the CSG stand.

XX J

Posted 10 years ago #
  14. Rita Barron

Just to let you know Brenda it's 100 sleeps to the big 'C' !! I didn't say the whole word!!

I would love to see the tapestry as I have heard so much about it on the news and in the papers up here. Perhaps if it tours further north I'll get a chance to see it!!

Sounds like Ally Pally will be a real CSG reunion!! Have a great time!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  15. Janet L

Dear All,

Brenda was right this tapestry is a MUST SEE. It is stunning on so many levels. The overall size and breadth of the project, the quality of the stitching, the history lesson etc etc. Over 30,000 people have viewed this and even on Saturday (the last day to view) which according to the cafe staff was not as busy as the previous few days it was mobbed - to use a scottishism!

I managed to get organised to go and see this tapestry. The Scottish Parliament's presiding officer announced on Saturday that the tapestry will be back at the parliament building July to September next year. This is due to how popular it is.

All you who can, try to persuade Jane to have a Scottish weekend and we can go and see the tapestry. I want to go back as it is so big it is difficult to take in all of it in one go. And if you see it at the parliament building it is free of charge!

I overheard Dorie Wilkie saying to one man that the tapestry will be going on tour round Scotland, England, USA and Canada. Only one problem - possibly going on tour in sections as it is 143 metres in length and not many places can take such a long piece. So you all need to come to Scotland next year to see the complete thing. You will not be disappointed.

I bought a copy of the book so will need to drool for the next 10 months unless it comes to somewhere in Glasgow.

So do your best to see this if you can. Its terrific

Posted 10 years ago #
  16. Aha! - so pleased someone else has been to see it and agreed how wonderful it is!

Currently stitching my band sampler where I've stitched over Dorie Wilkie and Christine Simm's signatures to commemorate my visit. Chuffed to bits that the little piece of 'Scotland' that I am stitching to emphasise the entry is the one Jane gave us when we visited Edinburgh in 2007. I've changed it around a bit but it has a Thistle in it and some stitching to represent Tartan, so it's going to look good I think. Will show Jane at Leicester.

And yes - I agree Janet - wouldn't it be brilliant to have a CSG weekend based around another viewing. Like you I was overwhelmed by how much there was to take in. So glad I too bought the book.

Posted 10 years ago #
  17. Barbara Stone

Went to Bristol Quilters last night, and got told all about the tapestry, and apparently, bits of it (how much I don't know), is going to be on a tour of the country, and one of the first places its going to Cheltenham Town Hall from October 4th to 14th. Entry is free, and I can feel a quick trip up the motorway coming on. If anybody lives in the area, its going to be well worth a visit.

Posted 10 years ago #
  18. Tinouche24

I cannot find anything on Cheltenham Town Hall's website. Is it this year?

Posted 10 years ago #
  19. Janet L

Just checked on the Tapestry website. Some panels will be on show at the Cheltenham literary festival from 4th to 13th October this year. Does not specify the venue but for those who know the festival I presume it will be easy to find out.

Other tour dates and venues will be announced soon.

You could check on the festival website. There is a link from the tapesrty site to the festival site

Posted 10 years ago #
  20. Barbara Stone

Just been onto the festival website. Its definitely on show at Cheltenham Town Hall in the literary festival and apparently entry will be free. Sorry, got the date wrong - it does finish on the 13th. Hope that helps.

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.