The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Leicester!

(23 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Janet Nicholl

No tags yet.

1. Hello All

Well, here we are, Sunday afternoon, and I really do feel I'm on a count down now to Leicester. Expecting to hear from Frances any day now to let me know what train she's on and I can then arrange to meet up with her. oooh - 'citin' innit!

I've spent the whole of this weekend thinking 'this time next week' - honestly I'm like a kid being let out into the playground at school.

Have been busy stitching so's I've got a couple of things for Bring and Brag. With Jane mentioning in her letter that there are about 40 of us we shall have lots to see when everybody gets their items out for the B&B table.

Been wet and windy here this weekend, but even so I've soldiered on and done some clearing and tidying in the garden. Our last garden waste collection is this coming Tuesday then there's nothing until next March (ooh - that immediately brings Sewing for Pleasure to mind at the NEC!!) - tut, Brenda, concentrate.... oh yes,gardens. Didn't want to be left the whole of the winter with rotting vegetation left in the ground, so it had to be removed. What agony though! - I daresay there are others of you who love your garden (I know Barbara Stone does) but I had to clear away a whole raft of Nasturtiums. Yes I know the first really cold night we get they will go all soggy and wilting overnight, but just at the moment they are (or were) still beautifully green with lots of lovely flowers on - really really hard to tug away and dig them out. All done now though but the front garden looks a right mess until I get the chance to dig it over properly and get a few polys 'n' stuff in.

Enjoy your week all of you. No doubt like me you've got the suitcase out and things of a stitchy nature all over the spare bed so's you don't forget them. Clean knickers can wait til Friday morning........... See you there! ta-ra XX

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Only 4 sleeps to go - starting to get over-excited now, like a child before Christmas!

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Barbara Stone

Started to pack already - with any luck I won't forget to put the things I put aside, into the case, as I did last year. Sewing like crazy, but unfortunately its not cross stitch, its pantomime time, so I'm busy with costumes.
    Brenda, you're correct - I love my garden and allotment, but unfortunately, we've had so much rain just lately, I can't get over there in order to do any digging. If I tried, I might need a crane to haul me out of the mud!!!
    See you in 4 sleeps.

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Su Maddocks

I only have 2 sleeps left as I am travelling up to Pam's on Wednesday. We plan to visit Westonbirt on Thursday and we are calling in Witney Antiques on the way up on Friday. My itch to stitch has deserted me recently so I am looking forward to the motivation I will get from all you lovely ladies to get going again - see you soon YAY !

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. Janet Nicholl

Hi Brenda and all
    Nasturtiums seem to be the roadside weed here! Everywhere we drive there seem to be swathes of them along the way.
    In a lovely camp site right on the beach near Coramandel. Seems we have been here for ages we have done and seen so much already but time seems to fly by too!
    Have a great weekend all of you. Yes, I am missing being there with you but not ready to think about coming home yet.
    XXX J
    PS - it rained heavily earlier as we drove up the coast road..... Just to let you know it's not all sun and beaches (well not quite all :-) )

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Pam D

Oh dear, you have reminded me, I have to pack. That means making a decision about what to wear, too hard! Yesterday. I wandered. Into the garden, but it so wet I would have made more mess than I would have cleared up. Bit tough having the garden waste only removed for part of the year. Gardening to me is a twelve month activity, the only way I can keep on top of it. See you soon with my overfull suitcase!

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Pam D

Oh dear, you have reminded me, I have to pack. That means making a decision about what to wear, too hard! Yesterday. I wandered. Into the garden, but it so wet I would have made more mess than I would have cleared up. Bit tough having the garden waste only removed for part of the year. Gardening to me is a twelve month activity, the only way I can keep on top of it. See you soon with my overfull suitcase!

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. martingale

I am brand new here and brand new to stitching holidays but I am coming to Leicester tomorrow too. It will be lovely to meet some fellow stitchers and spend a weekend without my toddler trying to do my stitching for me.

I feel like such a newbie to all this. How much stitching should I bring? I have several projects on the go - one is probably much too big to bring along, but should I bring a couple of others?

Does anyone else have any tips?

Look out for me. I'll be the one standing shyly by the wall being a bit scared to talk to anyone and trying desperately to blend into the wallpaper.

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. Welcome to the Forum and doubly welcome to Leicester tomorrow. We are a very friendly group, potty as they come actually but lovely really and we talk a lot. You don't need to bring too much stitching as Jane normally has a good project to do if you so wish but bring something. Look forward to meeting you - and finding out your first name!

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. Hello You! - a new lady coming to Leicester - how lovely. No need to be shy - although I can well remember how I felt when I did my first weekend. You'll find everyone really welcoming and of course having the stitching thing in common, you'll find you immediately will become part of the scene.

I usually take a bit of stitching with me - so I have something to fiddle with on the train really, but we will all be given a project from Jane. She's on hand to help if there's anything you've not done before; but if you prefer to stay with whatever you've brought with you that will be fine.

Check-in's usually about 3.00 p.m. and most of us will sling our cases in our rooms and then immediately make our way back down to Reception - lots of squashy sofas and things there and everyone congregates and has a chin wag. Do come and join that because when you then go back to your room for a freshen up before drinks at 7.00 you will feel by then that you know a few people and you will feel much happier about walking in to a sea of strange faces later on.

Looking forward to meeting you. Don't worry about being shy - everyone will tell you - I'm the shyest one there......... (wait for the comments)......

Posted 10 years ago #
  11. Brenda - that is the biggest fib in the world!! However can't wait for our hug, I need something to get over doing a bit of gardening this morning. You know how much I hate it but the pansies had to go in and the rain has stopped.............

Posted 10 years ago #
  12. martingale

Thank you for your lovely replies - my name is Nancy (meant to put that at the end of my post!) I am going to be driving up from Surrey, so after I have dropped my little one off for an afternoon at nursery at 2.00, all going well (according to Google Maps), I should be there by about 4.30. I have already started packing. I haven't got to the clothes part yet, I'm still deciding on the stitching!

I am really looking forward to meeting you all.

Posted 10 years ago #
  13. Brenda - that is the biggest fib in the world!! However can't wait for our hug, I need something to get over doing a bit of gardening this morning. You know how much I hate it but the pansies had to go in and the rain has stopped.............

Posted 10 years ago #
  14. Sorry, itchy digit!! If you need a bit of help with directions (or do you have a posh sat nav?) say so as the Hilton is a bit off the beaten track.

Posted 10 years ago #
  15. Brenda I agree with Monica, you're a terrible fibber
    Nancy don't worry, as the others have said we're all friendly.

Leaving work at 2.30pm tomorrow & will be there sometime after 4pm. Save me a squisshy seat

Helen

Posted 10 years ago #
  16. Auntie Beryl

Welcome Nancy , You dont have to be mad to come on a "weekend" but it helps ! Just to give you an idea of what we are like ........ I always travel by train but Andrea and Christine take it in turn to pick up and return my suit case . Brenda has sorted out my train times and even found out the platform numbers ! ! ( which is more than the Rail Staff can ) So just introduce yourself to the noisy crowd in reception . Thats us ! See you soon , Beryl

Posted 10 years ago #
  17. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hi Nancy!

Welcome to a wonderful weekend, free from all cares except deciding what to stitch next.
    I can only echo what everyone else has said - you don't need to bring a lot of stitching, just a pair of scissors and a sense of humour!

And if Brenda Midgley is shy then I'm a Dutchman (hint: I'm NOT a Dutchman!)

Christine

Posted 10 years ago #
  18. Barbara Stone

Brenda, saying you're shy, is like saying I'm the quiet one!!! Nancy, looking forward to meeting you, and seeing the rest of the gang. Take care on the drive up (or the train journey) everybody, and I'll see you in the lobby.

Posted 10 years ago #
  19. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Barbara, if it came to a contest, I'd back Brenda as the noisy one, with you a close second.

(runs away, fast)

Posted 10 years ago #
  20. Barbara! - what a cheek - fancy saying that about us! - I suggest we sort 'er out at playtime.

Her face squashed into her dinner tomorrow night might be a good plan.......

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.