The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Thought for the Day!

(27 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from brenda midgley

No tags yet.

1. Hello all,

Had my 'giggle-ometer' buttons pressed today. Had my eye test letter from Specsavers through the week so rang this morning to fix up an appointment.

On the 'phone:

Specsavers - Good morning, Specsavers ----- speaking, how may I help you?

Me: Good morning. I've had my letter arrive about my eye test check up, so may I make an appointment please.

Specsavers: Certainly - you say you've been here before - what name is it please.

Me: Mrs Brenda Midgley

Specsavers: - Oh yes, here you are - but can I just check the date of birth to make sure it's the right one.

Me: Yes of course - 29.05.43 -(thinking - goodness, just how many Brenda Midgleys are there in this area).

Specsavers - Right. Um, let's see - can you make next Wednesday 20th at 9.30

Me: - Oh brilliant, that suits me very well. Thank you.

Specsavers: - Sorry, before you go - can you manage the stairs?

STAIRS!! - never give stairs a thought!! - perhaps I'm getting old then.................and no bugger's ever told me....... I can well see that next week when I am climbing those stairs I shall start wanting to laugh out loud. Must contain myself.

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Rita Barron

Oh Brenda this made me laugh!! You of all people you are so fit and active!! I am sure they will offend a lot of people with this line of questioning!

My hubby was really hurt last week when paying for his coffee in the garden centre cafe, the assistant pointed to a sign and asked if this referred to him - 10% discount for old age pensioners- he's 57!!!! I did laugh!! Poor him!

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. Oh Rita - your tale is funnier than mine - loved it! Poor ol' hubby. Never mind - just point out the benefits to him when he really does become an Old Age Pest - all these discounts off, cheap deals to let you in to places - and a bus pass! I assume you do get those in Scotland too? Forgive my ignorance on that one.......

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Rita Barron

Yes Brenda at the moment all those benefits are available up here. I say at the moment, fingers crossed they will still be there once we do reach the magic age!! Who knows what will happen!!

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

My bus pass and state pension aren't due for another 2 years, so who knows what will be available by then...

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Free trips to the moon Mrs Berrett!! - Yay!! (we'll make sure you're on one......)

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

At least that way I might get some peace and quiet...

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. Rita Barron

Remember to take your stitching.........

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Oh yes, no journey willingly undertaken without stitching!

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. SallyH

I second that Mrs Berrett

Posted 9 years ago #
  11. Sandra Harris

Talking about bus passes I got mine 2 weeks ago. The big 60 was a week last Sunday. I didn't look any older, behaved any different or feel any different. Everything was going well until I took my 84 year old father-in-law for a hospital appointment. A very young man ( just out of nappies I'd say ) called my father- in -law in. I helped FIL into the room and turned to leave when I heard the doctor say to FIL 'Your WIFE can stay if you want'. Now I'm not usually short of a few words but I was speechless. My bubble had burst. However, FIL smiled and winked at me then turned to the doctor and said ' You might have to wait a while as I'll have to dig her up first'. That poor doctor's face was a picture and after the initial embarrassment we all got on well and FIL had good results.

Posted 9 years ago #
  12. Rita Barron

Oh Sandra that's brilliant!!! Well done to your Father-in-law!! He's obviously very astute!! Would love to have seen the look on that young man's face! Bet it was a picture!!!

Posted 9 years ago #
  13. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hang on a minute - does that mean in Wales you can get a free bus pass at 60?

In England, you can't have one until you reach state pension age - 63-and-a-bit, in my case.

(Goes away muttering darkly under breath)

Posted 9 years ago #
  14. Jane N

Count yourself lucky, Christine - I'm one of the poor saps who have to wait until they're 66!

Posted 9 years ago #
  15. SallyH

It must have changed Christine. I had mine at 60. Mind that was 10 years ago.

Posted 9 years ago #
  16. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Yes Sally, it HAS changed - the actual date depends on your date of birth, but it's sliding later and later. For example, my state pension (and free bus pass) age is 63-and-a-bit. For a woman EXACTLY one year younger than me, her state pension age will be 65-and-a-half. This is more than TWO YEARS later.

And as for young Jane N - as she says, she will have to wait until she's 66!

Posted 9 years ago #
  17. Jane N

Bless you for the 'young', Christine, especially as by my reckoning, there's only about 18months between our ages! So as you can see, Sally, not only have things changed, it's happened rapidly. When the change was first introduced by the Labour gov, I would have got my pension at 64 but the Conservatives accelerated the changes and I have to wait 2 more years. Irritating for me but I'm very lucky to have a work-based pension that leaves me fairly comfortably off. However, thousands of women were suddenly faced with having to finance 2 more years without a state pension with very short notice - seriously unfair :-( Sorry to get serious on our fun/informative forum, I'll shut up now ;-) xxxx

Posted 9 years ago #
  18. Rita Barron

Up here in Scotland I will get my bus pass at 60 (if it's still available!) but I have to wait until I am 66 to get my state pension! At least I should be able to get to and from work for free!! Not quite sure about the logic of that one?!! Probably by that age I would rather have a scheme to allow a nap in the afternoon! Luckily Jane I too have a work based pension so not planning to work till 66!!

Posted 9 years ago #
  19. Jean Strange

Yes like Christine my State pension at last info would be paid at 63 years 9 months. As at the time I was teaching thought they would love me to go then as that is the end of September!! Have retired on teachers pension not great but am suriving. Can't get my bus pass til then either another 3 years.

Posted 9 years ago #
  20. Barbara Stone

The day after my 60th birthday, I phoned the council to find out how to get my bus pass, having been assured that I would get it, only to be told that I won't get it until I get my state pension. Now I reckon that Christine and I are only separated in age by about 6 months, but I won't get the pension and the bus pass until I'm 64 years and 10 months! Not impressed at all.
    Rita, if Scotland decide to break away, will they still give everybody free bus passes? Or will that be one of the things that goes to save money?
    Couple of days ago my much beloved and I were in a garden centre, and he showed me a notice saying that over 60's could get half price meals and told me that I could be a cheap date! His head hasn't stopped ringing yet after the slap he got from that one. Cheeky devil, just cos he's younger than me.

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.