The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Nature in the raw

(22 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone

No tags yet.

1. Oh, how sad. We know we must accept nature in the raw, but I've just had a Sparrowhawk bring down a Collared Dove outside the living room window.

I've had my eye on this dove for quite a few days. It's been in the back garden with parent birds, eating, flying, but obviously not 'quite right' in some way I haven't been able to fathom.

I was in the living room as two birds flew towards the window, the dove banged into it and with its wings outspread I could see by the feather markings that what was chasing it was a Sparrowhawk. The dove fell and the hawk just dropped down and clamped its claws round it.

Geoff came into the room as he'd heard the bang and said let's try to chase it away, so we went and opened the conservatory door (it was right outside). The hawk was so defiant it just stayed there - literally a foot or so from us! It re-shuffled its claws to get a better grip and then just flew off holding the poor struggling dove.

We only rarely see a Sparrowhawk - this is literally only the third time in about 10 years, so how on earth had its senses alerted it to a vulnerable dove in an ordinary back garden.

Looking at it coldly - nature is amazing, but looking at it from a Brenda Midgley point of view, it's just distressing.

I need to go away and talk to myself - get my perspective back on track!.....

Please someone put a thread on the forum to tell us something cheerful!

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. SallyH

Sorry Brenda, I can't say anything cheerful. We regularly get Sparrowhawks swoop down in our garden. The only cheerful thing is that a warning is normally given and the little birds hide out of the way,but in the summer my grandchildren saw a little bird taken and were quite distressed about it. Unfortunately we may not like it but it is nature. It really upsets me though as you feel so helpless.

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. How about this.
    Mick has been digging a pond (until he put water in it I did threaten to put him in & fill it back up). The chickens tried to help, but kept getting it wrong so had to go back in to their enclosure - the older one walks to heel!!
    We now have 6 fish happily swimming in it - 3 are goldfish that we've had about 5 years & are now too big for their tank. We also have a frog that keeps coming to see what Mick is up too.
    I also have a baby squirrel bouncing around the garden & trees. They are funny creatures when they see you & try to run away.

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Hello Helen and Sally

Thank you for responding to my glumness over the wretched Sparrowhawk. As you say Sally all other birds just scarpered for the rest of the day, but do you know an hour later I saw the Sparrowhawk fly in again. He came up from the bottom of the garden and perched hidden amongst the branches and leaves of a huge cotoneaster that we have. I only saw him because I noticed him fly in - but how he managed that through trees and branches without catching his wings I don't know - the bottom of our garden is quite dense wih trees. He sat perched for a while but in the end gave up and flew away.

As for your pond Helen - love it! (specially the bit about putting Mick in it and filling it up again!) Wih regard to squirrels, we too have them in our garden. You can actually tame them down quite easily and I regularly used to sit feeding them on my lap some years ago. However I stopped because one year I found myself counting 6 at the same time hopping about and thought Whoa! If they get into your loft they can start to strip off the joists holding up the roof! Bit dodgy that.

Well, lovely day here and I've got stuff to do. I also want to bob up the road and buy some stamps and a newspaper. Why I want to read it I don't know - but I missed most of the tv news last night in which they reported on the execution of David Haines; distressing beyond words for his family, can't believe there are such cruel people in the world.

The world generally is going mad I feel - and in the middle we have Scotland wanting to divorce itself from the rest of us. Dear God - please Scottish people - we are such a small country and we are living in a dangerous world - we need to cling together. The grass on the other side of the fence always seems greener - when you get there it never is.

Anyway, the end of the week will tell us what is going to happen on that one and in the meantime, to finish on a more cheerful note - we have Itch to Sitch to look forward to.

Also - anyone going to Ally Pally - Rachel and I are meeting up on Thursday morning around 10.15 - 10.30 - anyone want to join us we shall be going for coffee and a chinwag if you would like to join us. Will post again as to where exactly we shall be standing to meet.

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Jean Strange

Hi Brenda
    Our problem is Magpies they took at least one baby Blue Tit out of the nesting box this year.
    As for squirrels we did have at least one that got into our loft a couple of years ago. Jeff took his air rifle up and popped a shot to give it a shock (definitely not to hurt it) they have not come back since!! Oh and before you ask no he didn't shoot a hole in the roof! We did have to throw away some things stored up there as the squirrel had nibbled at paper and card!!

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Rita Barron

I love reading all these posts and all about nature even if some of it isn't too pleasant!! I too have lots of birds and wildlife in the garden and love to watch the red squirrels playing in the tree behind my garden fence. I am a bit wary of encouraging them in as they can do a lot of damage.
    I can't bring myself to read newspapers or watch the news on Tv at the moment. What cruel people there are in our beautiful world. I agree Brenda people seem to be going mad doing such horrible things. Begs belief! I too will be glad when it is Friday and get this vote over with. Fed up of it. I agree we should all stick together, safety in numbers especially in our volatile world!!

Right going to cheer myself up with some stitching as I have a day off work today!!

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. SallyH

Hi Brenda, perhaps we can arrange to meet again later in the day as my train doesn't get into Waterloo until approx. 9.50. and then I have to get to Ally Pally. I would hate to miss you as it will be a long time before we meet. Up again.

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. Rita, you're so lucky to get red squirrels mine are greys (even though they seem to have red in their fur)

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Ha!! - Helen! - you've beaten me to it. Yes!! I too noticed the way Rita quietly slipped into her entry that her squirrels are RED ones! There's always someone who has to boast about these things....... Mine are plain 'ol grey too, like yours. Ah well girl, ours might be more boring colours than hers; but ours are bigger! (Although I'm not so sure that that's anything to brag about!)

Jean too mentions squirrels in the loft. You are right Jean, our next door but one neighbour also sat in his loft for a whole day with an air gun rifle too to frighten off the pesky varmits (this was several years ago now. Don't know that the squirrel moved out, so the neighbour did instead....)

Now - Ally Pally - Sally it will be lovely to see you. Rachel and I have agreed that after coffee and chinwag we will each do our own thing (anguish to be walking round all day with someone if both want to look at different things!). So - I could meet up with you at lunchtime if you wish. I have two workshops booked for the afternoon. One at 1.00- that's Patchwork for Beginners (hexagonal - never done that) and then 2.15 Hand sew a Wrist Pin Cushion; so an early lunchtime - 12.00 or just after would be good for me as long as it suits you too. Anyway, have a think on it.

In the meantime Rita - hope you are having a lovely day with your stitching; especially if you are completely on your own and it's something with a bit of a challenge to it. Agonising if you are in a really concentrating study with special stitches and then someone 'phones or the doorbell goes! I'm sure we've all got the T shirt on that one! Love to all. Brenda

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. SallyH

That will be fine Brenda. Look forward to seeing you.

Posted 9 years ago #
  11. Rachel H

I'd like to meet up with Sally too, please!!

Posted 9 years ago #
  12. Er - dunno Sally, what do you think - should we let the mad woman from Bury St. Edmunds join us or not! I suppose she could be useful if we left her with all the bags and saved us some seats while we queue'd up and organised the tea to go with some sarnies........... Okay, yup - that seems like a good idea, all right Mrs. Harman yer on!

Final details to be arranged nearer the time when anybody else decides they'd like to join in. Surely (hopefully) Brigitte is going to be around somewhere as well........

Posted 9 years ago #
  13. SallyH

Er- yes I think that might be arranged. I think Brigitte is going but no doubt she will be in touch. Speak to you nearer the time for final arrangements and if anyone else wants to join us we'll look forward to seeing them. I think!

Posted 9 years ago #
  14. I'll have to join you all in spirit - it's a bit too far for a day trip
    On a similar theme is anyone going to Harrogate?

Posted 9 years ago #
  15. Barbara Stone

I'd love to go to AP, but because I've got nowhere to put anything should I buy something, I'm not going to go, but I'll be with you all in spirit if not in person. Hope you all have a lovely time.

Posted 9 years ago #
  16. annew

Yippeeee I have answered a question on Perfection
    "Lonesome George". Thanks Barbara xxx

Posted 9 years ago #
  17. Barbara Stone

Glad I was able to help, Anne. On the original topic, Brenda, today saw a Sparrowhawk trying to have a go at a small chaffinch, when it was seen off by a crow. I bet you'd have sat and cheered at the crow wouldn't you? Mind you I was glad that the chaffinch got away. Trouble is, Sparrowhawks have to eat as well.

Posted 9 years ago #
  18. Absolutely right Barbara - Sparrowhawks do have to eat as well, but I still would have jumped about with glee at the Chaffinch that got away!

Now what's all this with Anne and Perfection? - being nosey - I want to know!!

In the meantime - been at the RSPCA today. "Buttons" is sporting two very dainty babies socks on his back paws. He has a little wound on the back of his neck and has been scratching at it with his back paws! The need, therefore, for some protective clothing!....... ah, but did he look sweet..........

Posted 9 years ago #
  19. Barbara Stone

Okay Brenda, you did ask for it. It was a question about the last Pinto Island tortoise in the world, who was called Lonesome George. I had told Anne about George because there was a theory that George was in fact "gay", because he wouldn't mate with any of the females that were put in with him. It was so sad that he died last year, he was only about 150 years old, which is young for a giant tortoise. He is being stuffed and put on display in the Galapagos Research Station. So that's the answer. Hope that satisfies your curiosity.

Posted 9 years ago #
  20. Thank you Mrs. Stone - you are very kind to little old ladies with a curiosity bigger than their wallet, but - coo - don't you know some stuff...........!

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.