The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Leicester Stitch Weekend

(32 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by Ginny McCoy
  • Latest reply from Rachel H

No tags yet.

1. Ginny McCoy

Hi everyone. I'm sorry not to have been in touch earlier, but have had to organise my new internet security stuff, and it didn't arrive until this morning. Euch, I HATE computer "stuff"!

Just to say a huge thank you to everyone who went to Leicester for making me so welcome. It was a lovely weekend, and just finished too soon. Also, many thanks to Jane for all her hard work organising everything. What a talented group you all are. It was so good to meet with like-minded people and see what everyone is doing.

I hope to come another time, and will look forward to seeing everyone.

Best wishes, Ginny. x

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Lovely to meet you, Ginny, and I hope to see you at another CSG weekend next year. I can't promise you that there will be half the excitement, though...

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. 140559

Sounds like I missed a really great weekend. I had loads of disturbance at night too, but mine were of the blood pressure checks and drugs type - no hunky firemen! Still, stitches out next week and then four more weeks in plaster. Thank you all for the card which arrived this morning xxx

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

We were thinking of you and wishing you could have been there to share the alarums and excursions!

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. Rachel H

Alarums eh Twinkle! I thought that was a lily....

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

No, Sweetie, that's Arum.

Alarums and excursions are very Shakespeare, I think you'll find :o)

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Jane N

Especially 'diverse alarums' - always made me think "oo er misses!" somehow, but perhaps that's just my childhood, listening to radio shows like Round the Horne & The Navy Lark ;-)

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

How did Kenneth Horn & Co get away with some of that stuff???

Only by listening to it now do I realise how much innuendo I missed the first time round.

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. Barbara Stone

But they were brilliant weren't they? Thank goodness for radio 4 extra so I can wake up to the old programmes and have a good laugh.

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. Jean Strange

Definitely remember the alarums in Shakespeare's plays! Remember listening to The Navy Lark I seem to remember listening while eating must have been on at a weekend lunch or tea time. Oh what fun they were!

Posted 9 years ago #
  11. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Sunday lunchtime, I believe.

Posted 9 years ago #
  12. If my memory serves me right the Navy Lark followed Family Favourites at Sunday lunchtimes. Cliff Michelmore and Jean somebody (who became his wife).....they played lots of lovely romantic records whereby we were reminded of chaps serving in the forces and their girlfriends or wives at home who asked for 'their' music to be played - songs of devotion and longing - "I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places...." etc.

All the longings and True Love that frankly doesn't seem to exist these days. Sad isn't it, - now we have boy who meets girl, girl gets drunk, boy has a grope, all goes too far, girl can't remember very clearly, then oops - Saturday night in A&E for some of them and the back of a police van for the rest of them.

I know which era I prefer!!

Posted 9 years ago #
  13. Barbara Stone

It was Jean Metcalfe who married him in 1950. And I think that Billy Cottons Bandshow was on sometimes before the Navy Lark. However, lots of the shows from that era, are now being repeated on radio4 extra three times daily. So if you fancy listening to repeats of the Navy Lark, it's on, on a Monday at 8.30am and again at lunchtime and in the evening.
    I do agree with you Brenda, I know which era I prefer. Do you think we are getting old, when we look back like this and reminisce about the "old" days?
    Also, it's a visit to the maternity hospital for a lot of the girls after a drunken Saturday night. Fun! I don't think.

Posted 9 years ago #
  14. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I particularly like listening to repeats of The Goon Show on 4 Extra because I'm too young to have heard them first time round (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).

They are still hilariously funny - much, MUCH funnier than most of the stuff on radio 4 at 6.30pm, IMHO.

Posted 9 years ago #
  15. Jean Strange

I thought it was Sunday lunch time and yes now I remember the music request show too. I didn't listen to the Goon show as I still lived at home then and it was not the sort of thing Mum and Dad would have listened to but Dad loved The Navy Lark.

Posted 9 years ago #
  16. Rachel H

Nobody has mentioned The Clitheroe Kid!!

My favourites, as everyone else above, really, The Navy Lark, Round the Horn (Jools and Sandy!!!), The Goons!

And on TV what about Michael Bentine: Its a Square World? Today will be muggy. Followed by Tuggy, Weggy and Thurggy!!

Oh happy days! Fully agree with all the comments above about kids today! Also, wearing all that black, do they actually have fun?

Must be getting old.... (answers not!!)

Posted 9 years ago #
  17. Rachel H

And Christine............... I did know it was an Arum lily! Just thought I'd start a thread and look where it got us!!!

Posted 9 years ago #
  18. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Yo, Rachel, that's par for the course - threads diverted from the OP in less than a page ;o)

Posted 9 years ago #
  19. Auntie Beryl

Wakey ! Wakey ! What about Billy Cottons Band Show,and Children's Hour . Now that is Getting Old .

Posted 9 years ago #
  20. Barbara Stone

Children's Hour was on a Saturday morning wasn't it, and always seemed to feature Sparkies magic piano and The story of the troll, fol-de-rol. Goodness me, the memories this is bringing back. Most of them were good, but .....

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.