The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

It's the 24th!!

(29 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Christine Berrett

No tags yet.

1. Hell's bells, just realised what today's date is.....the 24th....this day in four weeks time we shall all be bracing ourselves getting ready to tuck into our Christmas din-dins......

Admittedly I had got the Christmas cards out, so's to check how many I might need to go out and buy, but oh dear, hasn't it come round quickly again.

Personally I'd like to go back to the Hilton Leicester and let them cook me my Christmas dinner seeing as they look after us so well..... ooh, now there's a tempting thought..... who wants to join me?? Imagination is a wonderful thing and that is probably the only way it's going to happen, so let's all dream together...

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hang on a minute - are you saying that Christmas Dinner chez Midgley is eaten on 22nd December?

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Pedantic should be your middle name Mrs. Berrett - all right then if you must be so totally accurate... 4 weeks and 2 days.........

mutter, mutter.....some people obviously have nuffin' else to do...... the rest of us get on with real life..... she's probably got a basket of ironing piled high which she's not bothering with while she's setting to and correcting me..... mutter mutter.....

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I usually claim that "Assiduous" is my middle name - the initial is correct, at least.

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. Jean Strange

OK you two I have the problem of daughters birthday on 23rd December and my birthday on 27th December. Don't start getting me panicked about exactly how many days/weeks until 25th!! Also this year with grandsons here until 19/20 December have been requested to have decorations etc out ASAP. Judith wants to do a book advent as well as chocolate. My books from school are going to be in great demand!! Have 18 Christmas books already might buy a couple of Mr Men books as they are buy one get one half price at Waterstones and there are a lot of Christmas titles.

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. Oh - and there was me thinking it was Christine Administrator Berrett. Even if it was Assiduous (diligent, persevering) any of those A D or P would still look good in the middle of C and B when stitched up.....better than an average sized B a skinny J and a big fat M..........

I'm still trying to work out who A B C is - appears an awful lot on charts..........

Jean - you will gather - of the two of us ( me 'n 'er) one of us is slightly dotty....I fear it could be me......!

Birthdays on the 23rd and 27th December!! - do you ever find that your presents get sort of joined up with Christmas ones as well......what a shame... one prezzy when you should be entitled to two......

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. Jean Strange

No Brenda presents not combined as have an Uncle whose birthday is 17th December and it has always been family policy that 2 presents are given unless of course an expensive special present! Judith going to be up north for her birthday this year but back with us for mine!

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Jean Strange

PS just really enjoy these fun posts between us all doesn't matter if we are a bit dotty!

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Auntie Beryl

I have a similar situation . My younger daughter's birthday is the 13th of December and my elder daughter's is the 4th of January . To make matters worse my son's B/D is the 14th of August and mine the 17th ! ( Bad planning somewhere !)
    So , Christmas does not start here until after the 13th.

Best wishes to everyone from "Auntie" Beryl

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Two of my siblings are twins and have birthdays on the 19th and 20th December. We ALWAYS made sure that they had separate presents for birthdays and Christmas.

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. SallyH

One of my Grandsons birthday is on Christmas Day so he has his birthday presents in the morning and his Christmas presents after we've had our Christmas dinner. He thinks it's great. We have two trees. A Birthday one and a Christmas one.

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. I'm beginning to realise what an lot of thoughtful and caring people I know - who are so kind as to recognise TWO presents every time for those with birthdays so close to Christmas.....

Sally's had me chortling the most......Two Trees even!!

Now that's fascinating Christine - two siblings who are twins - serious here I mean, not tugging your leg, do you mean two sets of twins (so four siblings) or is it just one set of twins with one born just before midnight on the 19th and one after midnight on the 20th. Being such a nosey person (nearly said bugger, but thought better of it) - I find that really interesting. Wonder if it upped the odds that you might have had twins yourself, but very probable that your twin siblings did??

Posted 8 years ago #
  13. Barbara Stone

Actually Brenda, its highly likely that the twins would have singles, but then those singles would have twins! Odd I know, but you often find that that's what's happened. When I was doing midwifery, we had a set of twins born in different years, not just on different days. Now that was really unusual.
    But you should have two presents - otherwise, that's just not fair on the one whose birthday is on Christmas Day. I mean, everybody else gets birthday presents and Christmas presents, so why should they miss out just because it was their hard luck to be born on Christmas Day?

Posted 8 years ago #
  14. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

One set of twins: girl born just before midnight and boy born just after.

My Mother was perversely proud of this as she and her twin brother, and her other brother and sister who were also twins, ALL shared the same birthday but 9 years apart (if you see what I mean).

Posted 8 years ago #
  15. Rita Barron

Wow Christine that is amazing! My hubby has been in teaching nearly forty years and has never come across twins with different birthdays!! Fantastic!! xx

Posted 8 years ago #
  16. I dunno - the things you learn on this forum...... it's like a big encyclopaedia of fascinating facts........

Needed something to brighten up the afternoon. It's absolutely dire here in Crewe. I spent an hour in the garden before lunch. Bit windy but not really cold, just busy sweeping up leaves and chopping off dead stalks of things (our last garden wheelie collection is this coming Tuesday until February - hence the motivation to get things done!) and I have to admit I really enjoyed being outside. The garden too looks so much better for a bit of a tidy up. All change after lunch though. Wind got up even more, rained a bit and at about 3.00 p.m. I made a cup of tea and went and sat in the conservatory to drink that and have a bit of stitching time. By half past 3 I gave up, it was that dark and gloomy outside I couldn't really see that clearly.

Shame though, as all my allotted jobs for the day are complete so I am 'free' until tea-time kitchen duties. I shall now go onto a music website instead. Our choir starts on Bach St. John Passion in the New Year. I've done it before but there's a lot of chorus work in it, some of which is quite tricky on 'timing'and sections are really quite fast. However, these music websites are brilliant to work with and really help you get things right, so a bit of practice won't come amiss!

Poor old Geoff is only a bit of hallway away so once again he will have to listen to me caterwauling (as he calls it). It was his birthday yesterday, I should've bought him some cotton wool for his ears.......

Posted 8 years ago #
  17. Barbara Stone

You've been lucky to be able to get out into the garden this morning. Its been p....ing down here all day, so I got soaked running the 30 yards down to the cabin, from where I'm typing this. Keeping one eye on the football scores, and one eye on the tennis, and trying to encourage the lads. (The Murray boys that is - my football team is beyond redemption!) Its pitch black outside, and the forecast is for more of the same tomorrow. Oh well, might have to just sit and sew instead of going outside.

Posted 8 years ago #
  18. Crumbs - did I say it was dire in Crewe yesterday - it was even dire-er (no such word I know) today!! Had a short stint in the garden again this morning - front garden this time. Have been leaving it and leaving it as there are (or were) Nasturtiums in there and even at this late stage - plenty of flowers on them. I was so reluctant to take it all out, but it had to be done. Such a shame to pull out lovely colour whilst everything else around me was grey and bleak. Had lunch and then the weather really took a turn for the worse - it's been truly horrible this afternoon.

Anyway I had stripped our bed and left that to 'air' whilst I sorted the front garden, so when I came in it was with the intention of putting clean bedding on and hoovering through upstairs. Geoff, eager to help said 'can I do anything for you' so I jumped in smartish 'Yes, you can run the hoover round for me up here if you would whilst I sort the bed out' What chagrin on his face! 'I was only joking' he said, 'I wasn't' I replied.......... God I lead that man a dog's life............

Well it's now about 4.30 so Harrogate must just about be finished for Jane. She's probably feeling jiggered - standing up all day is incredibly tiring and she must be longing for home. Should imagine she packs up now but actually travels home in the morning.....I could be wrong though. Wish I had her energy!!

Posted 8 years ago #
  19. Barbara Stone

No chance of getting into the garden at all today. Much worse than yesterday. However, the tennis was even better and I thought yesterdays match was exciting. Well done GB. The Davis Cup at last!!! Did absolutely nothing for my idea of sewing all afternoon. I think I got about six stitches done.

Posted 8 years ago #
  20. Well Leeds was a wash out yesterday - howling wind & icy rain. Saturday was a little better, but still not fit for the garden. It's just as well the girls have a sheltered greenhouse to hide in.
    Barbara, as I live with a sportsaholic (don't care if it's not a real word it should be) I think I know all the footie results from the weekend, along with tennis, cricket, boxing & the American idea of football. It does mean I get plenty of stitching done while not "watching" the telly. All I can say is "Team Scotland" did very well & you need to go sort out the overpaid team of 11!!

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.