[closed]

Sewing Bee

(148 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Christine Berrett

No tags yet.

1. Morning Ladies

How did it get to Wednesday again?

It's now 10 weeks since I last went to the office. I know I only go once a week, but I'm really starting to miss my trip out. I think we're going to put the bike back on the road on the 1st & then we can at least go for a ride out.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. Hello Helen,
    Oh - we mustn't complain about Wednesdays! - our most favourite day of the week at the moment 'cos of Sewing Bee...... wheeeee.......booked my seat for tonight in front of the t.v. and a Fry's Chocolate Cream is nestling quietly in the fridge awaiting attention at 9.00 p.m.

Yes, why not go out for a ride on the bike......trying to think - but can't remember - where it is you and Mick go to where you sit on the sea wall and eat fish and chips from a local place there...I know you always make my mouth water thinking about it!

Oh Barbara - fancy you being in Oklahoma as well...we only need Curley and a leading lady (can't remember the character's name...) but we'd almost have a cast ready to put on a show at......um..Leicester perhaps??

I do remember there being an Addo Annie character in it...I distinctly remember that because she has a kissing scene in it with someone (who? - can't remember) but what I do recall is that our Addo Annie obviously enjoyed the part because when she got to that scene she all but devoured her 'oppo' at that point. He came up gasping for air every time....she had me rocking about laughing watching in the wings as we all waited to go back on stage for our next entry.... Happy dsys....

Interesting about Top Hat....I did record it the other day, but haven't yet watched it. I too now then shall watch for feathers either floating or on the floor when they dance. Thank you for letting me know.....

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. Hi Brenda

You always manage to cheer me up. Was just feeling a bit down this morning - there are a lot of people still working who never get a mention (not knocking those who do), but who are needed to support the ones we see on the telly.

We've quite often gone to Bridlington on an evening. If we have all day Whitby is a good ride, up over the North Yorkshire Moors & then drop down to the sea. We also have all the Yorkshire Dales to explore - Malham, Skipton, etc

I think I'm going to go & sit on the patio now with some sewing or knitting & chill for a while.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

Oh Helen, you're making me jealous. I love going to Whitby, just to eat fish and chips, but I normally go on the train. Of course that's not running at the moment, and from what was said by our chairman a couple of days ago, its likely that no heritage railway will be running at all this year, and that might mean that a lot of them (including mine) will go out of business. And we both love the Yorkshire Dales, and we've had happy times in the past. Skipton on the other hand, brings back very bad memories cos that's where the van broke down, last year. Anyway, enjoy yourselves won't you.
    Brenda, Addo Annie in our production was played by a friend of mine, who also liked the kissing scene. Unfortunately the guy who was playing the person she had to kiss, was gay, and he would fight to get her off of him. Very funny when you're watching from the wings! Carousel, which is my favourite, reduced me and the chorus to tears, every time Billy does his final scene where he's talking to his daughter, who obviously can't see him as he's dead. Enough reminiscences about times when I was young, but it'll be great to have a long chat with you when we meet again.
    As you say, its Wednesday, and only a few minutes before the great evening watching (Repair shop and Sewing Bee) starts, so I'm off.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. Barbara Stone

Okay, not sure about wearing anything that's made from a clothes bag, especially as they would be cold, slippery and a bit scratchy! But the recycled dress challenge from old woollens was interesting - not too sure about some of them, but they all looked very good. Didn't manage to watch Repair shop, as Bob was watching Springwatch, (and I did too), so have got it on record.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. Hi Barbara

Agree with you about the bag transformations - sort of thing they might do on college courses though - you know when you see weird things on the catwalk
    Some of the jumpers to dresses were very good

Didn't tell you there was a hedgehog wandering round the next garden to us a couple of nights ago (9pm ish, so still light) - looked quite small so may be one of last year's babies. Don't often see them these days

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. Hello girls,

Yes, I wasn't sure about the bag transformation either; but I suppose they are looking for new ideas to use when each new series starts.

The jumpers to dresses was interesting though. I rather agreed with Patrick's choice rather than the one Esme plumped for... her choice having started off looking okay from the neck going down but by the time it reached the vary-coloured 'handkerchief' section I thought it looked rather heavy and cumbersome....maybe had it been shorter and not so many inserted panels it could have been better.

We too had a couple of hedgehogs last year but we've had some major work done in the garden starting just before last Christmas - landscaping and paving, so with all the grinding and mini digging and small crane (with a bucket) dredging soil and mini trees and 'scrub' away, I felt sure the hedgehogs had got fed up with all the disturbance (this too being through their hibernation period) - and had buggered off to someone else's garden. Anyway, paving finished out the back and sides of the house but lo and behold - just the nightime after the paving had been given a sealant finish (and smelt like a heavy glue sniffing session had been going on) I got up the next morning and found some hedgehog poo on it down the side of the house. There! - of all places! right by the kitchen door. I scrubbed it away before the paving chaps came again that morning although they must have wondered how they'd managed to miss an area the size of a saucer - and had to seal it again... poor hedgehogs probably don't know if they are coming or going - still - they must've gone to bed on a 'high' that night with the pong of sealant in the garden..... Same as Geoff and myself really - didn't dare have a window open in the bedroom that night !!

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. Barbara Stone

Evening all, it was a lovely day yesterday and we had the patio doors open until quite late, the hedgehog food had been distributed into their feed plates, and we were watching the box, when Bob whispered at me to have a look outside, and there on the patio, was Big mummy eating the food, before disappearing into the rest of the garden to see if she could find any slugs. She wasn't fazed by the noise coming from the TV, and it was a real privilege to have her there, so close to us. We've been lucky, as they have learnt that there will be food on the patio, and they come and visit us regularly. Haven't seen any babies yet, but I'm sure it won't be long now. The most we've had on the patio this year, has been three.
    Okay, its getting darker now, so I'm hoping to see more hedgehogs tonight. Its when they start mating, they get very very noisy and if we've got the windows open, its a really odd sound. As you can probably gather - I like hedgehogs!

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. Morning ladies

Wednesday again. Have you got the telly controllers ready for tonight?

Barbara, I'm so jealous of your hedgehogs - I love them too. Have you any babies yet?
    Brenda, your's will still be around. They just need to figure out their route again. Hope they didn't get too high from the sealant.

Our tadpoles are starting to get their back legs, won't be long before they are froglets.

It was raining when I got up, but seems to have stopped now. The garden & pond really need it.
    It'll rain all day tomorrow as we are planning to take the bike up in to the Dales for the day - should be less people around than on a weekend. If it isn't fit for the bike I'm having a sewing day instead.

Mick is still working hard on the extension. As it is straight off the living room we are redecorating that as well. We've take most of the York stone fireplace away & the room looks to much bigger. I've ordered some new bookcases. One is on a 4 month lead time so everything should be done by the time they arrive. We used composite decking for the patio (a type of plastic) so no need for sealant. It should all be done by Leicester & I'll be able to bring some pictures.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. Barbara Stone

Hi girls, Tonights the night I fight for the controller as Bob will want to watch Springwatch, and I'll have to record the Repair shop and watch it on another occasion. We've seen them before anyway when they were on BBC2 in the afternoon, but I can't remember all of them.
    Helen, no babies yet, but the size of Mrs. Pale Bum (she's got a light patch on her rear, hence the name), I wouldn't be at all surprised to know that she's going to have them quite soon.
    Raining here at the moment - the dance did the trick! Actually I think it wasthe fact that we put shading over the greenhouse, cos the sun was so hot on it, the tomatoes were fading. Our water butts and the pond were so low that the fish were practically begging for some fluid!
    Look forward to seeing the photos if we all get to Leicester. I don't think a decision has been taken yet about whether we can have a gathering, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. Yes, I do still have a hedgehog in the garden......I saw him (I'm calling it a him) just 2 nights ago having a drink at one of the bowls of water I keep on the grass. Can't tell you how delighted I am - I felt sure he would have had enough of all the noise and disturbance during his hibernation period. I then went out yesterday evening just before it got really dark to chuck my tea-time washing up water over some plants - and there he was again having another drink. Good innit......

Some lovely rain this morning. I'd got up about 5.00 a.m. to go to the loo and as our weatherman had promised us rain for roundabout that time I went into the little bedroom and opened the window wide so's I could stick my head out. I could smell the rain but it was not that light and I couldn't see any puddles or anything. However, when I finally got up and went outside to put some breakfast out for the birds I could feel very soft rain coming down and the grass already has a slightly greener look. I was chuffed to little mintballs - just the right type of rain. No use if it comes thundering down for short periods as it hits the ground and runs away but today's stuff is sinking in and you can hardly feel it's raining really - but the proof of the pudding is in the waterbutts. I lifted the lid of the one by the kitchen window and it was three quarters full. So pleased.

Sounds like you are really getting everything organised to come to fruition Helen with your decorating etc. You re going to be so posh you won't want to talk to us when we do all next meet up. It's such a lovely feeling isn't it when a plan comes together.

Right kitchen duties are calling me now so I'm toddling off. Looking forward to a nice sit down later on to watch Sewing Bee. Wonder who will go tonight....it must be awful to have to walk away from that lovely sewing room environment knowing you can no longer take part......

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. JeannieQ

Hi All, I really enjoyed last night's Sewing Bee, it was proper sewing. Loved the 1980s tailored jackets with the massive shoulder pads - unfortunately I can remember wearing those, although my shoulder pads were never quite that big. The cocktail dresses were good too and most of them were quite well made. I was amazed that the man (Matt?) didn't go home after the awful mess he made of his dress. I was sorry to see Therese go as she is quite a good seamstress just not quick enough like I would be. I couldn't make those things in the time allowed. I don't know who is going to win, there isn't one outstanding one.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. Barbara Stone

Jeannie, quite agree with your surprise that Matt didn't go last night. He did the pattern himself, so I don't think there was any surprise that it didn't fit! But I did like the cocktail dresses they made. However the one that won garment of the week wasn't really to my taste. Sorry but its just my opinion, , but I really didn't like it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. I'm with you Jeannie ! - I too can remember wearing shoulder pads in jackets. Nowadays I much prefer the 'softer' look of tailoring.

Yes, Matt really threw a wobbler with his cocktail dress didn't he and I felt sure he would be the one to leave - as he probably did too. However, it was lovely Therese who got the chop.....I was so dismayed about that as I felt she still had a lot to offer.

I also agree with Barbara in that the garment of the week wasn't something that attracted me - not a design I would wear myself, but generally the cocktail dresses weren't bad.

I meant to check how many more weeks we have left - we must be about half way through now.........what on earth are we going to do with our Wednesday evenings when it finishes........

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Only 3 more episodes to go, according to the Radio Times. Wednesday evenings will not be the same again

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

As I recall, I always used to take the shoulder pads out of any garment I bought, can't be doing with 'em.

I think Therese went rather than Matt because his pattern challenge jacket was very much better than Therese's (altho' I preferred Clare's jacket, but there you go). Therese has been struggling with actually getting things finished for a couple of weeks and I hate to say it but it was probably right that she went this time.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. Flippin' 'eck Mrs. Berrett...... wouldn't want to be in the sewing room under your regime then....you'd have me out after week one, 'slow' is my middle name....poor ol' Therese - I still think you are a bit harsh on your judgement of her.......

When you think about it - she might have been running close to the wind to finish - but Matt totally buggered up his cocktail frock really by having to leave the sleeves off because he'd made a mess of them and that to me was a more viable reason for leaving......nothing to do with the fact that he sobbed into his hanky like a big girl's blouse then and gained Patrick's sympathy???

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. Morning all

I remember the 80's as well - didn't like shoulder pads
    I thought Matt was going to eliminate himself when he threw a wobbly
    I'm not surprised that Therese went - she really has been struggling with timings for a few weeks now. I did think Clare might have won the jacket challenge.

Back to the garden. Our Jenny Wren has a mate - I saw them both at the weekend with beaks full of food so they must have babies. That's really good news - looking forward to seeing them when they fledge.

Took the bike out for a run on Thursday - cooler than it has been lately & slightly showery. For those that know Yorkshire we went through Wetherby, Harrogate & Rippon. Up over the Buttertubs Pass to the Tan Hill Inn (closed). Back past where the Yorkshire Shepherdess & her 9 kids live (if you have watched that). Then through Malham, past Skipton & through Ilkley to get home. 120 miles of stunning scenery - felt so much better for it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. Oh - you think Therese should have gone as well Helen - oh well, tht's me out of the judging team then.....

How lovely your Wren now has a mate. We get them in our garden too, but so rarely do you actually see them - such shy little birds.

Loved your description of your journey round Yorkshire - yes, I know the areas to which you refer ....and Amanda and Clive Owen are probably very well known now for anyone who has read her books and followed t.v. programmes. Had to smile re the 9 kids - everytime I read a book or saw a t.v. programme the number seemed to go up and up. I think she's quite an amazing lady actually, especially in the way she's brought up all those children - their lives seem quite idyllic, despite the hard work, remoteness of their farm and the incredibly harsh winters they work through. Sheep farming is not an easy job in the snowy months they have to contend with up on 't'moors!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. Jean Strange

Hi everyone
    Don’t think I will be seeing many birds in my garden for a week or two. Builders arrived at just before eight this morning to start our conservatory. Now allowed to start work again keen to get on. Only placed firm order last week after doing a few changes to original design. So looking forward to being able to sit out there with my craft projects out of the wind and lovely and warm!
    Thought it was a 50/50 whether it was Matt or Therese who went but agree Therese has seemed a bit behind the others on a few of the makes so yes it probably was right for her to go. Let’s see what happens this week.

Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.