The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

The New Thread

(102 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Christine Berrett
  • Latest reply from Helen Hawkins-Ainsley

No tags yet.

1. Barbara Stone

Helen, would you believe my mum is moving to Hinckley, which is 8 miles from the Leicester hotel! She’s going to be nearer my sister, which will be a weight off my mind, as she is definitely getting frailer. So we’ve got the unenviable task of whittling down the contents of a three bedroomed semi, to a one bedroomed flat! I’ve had the sewing stuff, now it’s everything else that needs to be sorted and got rid of.
    Hope everybody enjoyed their weekend - the weather wasn’t great but there again I wasn’t going anywhere to have to worry about it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. Jean Strange

Morning all
    In caravan lovely and quiet. Several of our friends are here too. Charlotte and Luke a young couple we made friends with a couple of years ago we went to their wedding here. I actually managed to give them the wedding sampler I made, just 2 years late!!! Just don’t seem to have been here when they were last year and of course I spent most of last summer in hospital. At least it was appropriate as today is their anniversary.

It has been quite warm and sunny here if rather windy. Luke helped Jeff put the awning up so can sit out in the warm with my Kindle and stitching.
    Back home tomorrow for another quote for blinds and Chiropractor appointment.

Hair cut today at village hairdressers where we always go can’t wait to stop looking like a shaggy dog and being able to see without pushing my fringe out of the way all the time!!!!!!

At the moment we are going to a 3 bedroom cabin in North Devon for the first week in August taking Judith and the family with us. I haven’t seen the boys since last October other than on WhatsApp. Should be a good few days.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. Hi

Barbara, does that mean your mum will be able to come for Sunday dinner if we are allowed to go to Leicester? I do hope we can go, I really don't think I can stand a year with none of my weekends away. I saw a Stitchtopia trip to Latvia & Estonia in early December that I fancy, but it is expensive & I'm not sure about going abroad this year.

Jean, where is your caravan? If you've already told us I apologise for not paying attention. I hope you're having a relaxing few days.

I have just signed off on the extension today - just got the monthly payments to make for the next 3 years :(

I'll have to go & do some work now

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

Hi all. Helen, yes if Leicester runs, (which is up in the air st the moment) mum could come to Sunday lunch. It would be great if it does run, and we could all get together again, but the way things are going, I don’t know if it will. Bob and I are meant to be going to Nepal about 4 days after Leicester, and the company we are going with, are waiting to hear from the Foreign and Commonwealth office before they will make a decision about that! They still want the money though, so if it doesn’t run, we should get everything back. 11 hours on a plane, wearing a mask - yes, not really looking forward to that, I can tell you. You would have thought that after wearing a mask every day I worked for the last 20 years (operating theatres insist on them being worn) I would have been used to it. Perhaps since I retired, the face got used to being exposed! Makes me mad when I see people wearing masks that don’t cover their mouth and nose- don’t people realise that droplets can come from both mouth and nose?
    Glad you had a nice few days away Jean- sounded as though you had a good time.
    Finally managed to get hold of hairdresser to make an appointment - just got to wait now until August 1st! I don’t have a fringe any more - I have curtains that need to be parted so I can see!

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. Jean Strange

Afternoon everyone
    Home after peaceful couple of days in caravan and catching up with a couple of friends who were also there. The site now has so many season pitches it is like a small community!! Helen the caravan is on a small privately owned site in a village called Bransgore just outside Christchurch. We have been going there so long now we are even known in some of the small shops e.g. bakers and very well known in the hairdressers as we have been going there for years. Had lovely haircut there yesterday.

Carpet in conservatory on Friday! Can then put chairs in and start using while we wait for blinds.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. Hello girls,

Sounds as if your few days at the caravan went well Jean - and you've had your hair cut too! so all in all it turned into a really nice little break for you.

Interested to see your comments on the wedding sampler. How often do these things end up never being ready for whatever the 'big day' is...but even so to be able to hand it over on their second wedding anniversary was really great. I bet they love it and it would of course have instantly brought back memories for them of the wedding day itself.

My haircut went well on Tuesday afternoon. I was very impressed with the safety measures etc. they had in place to protect customers and I felt like a million dollars by the time I got home - felt like a ton weight had been removed from my head! The only thing I didn't like - which Barbara typifies above, is how horrible it was to have to wear a face mask whilst the hairdresser was doing her stuff. She managed to cut it all round and then when she got to my ears I held the mask in place and slipped off the elastic from round my left ear while she cut that side and then we did the same with the right side. As son as I came out of the salon though the mask came off. Didn't like the sensation at all of being smothered round my nose and mouth. Had to laugh last week when doing the Asda shop - there was a chap in front of me who was planning to go into the shop as well - he put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a mask - only to drop it on the floor. He picked it up and then put it on his face. Really hygienic that eh!!

Last programme tonight on the t.v. on Yorkshire Walks. Has anybody else seen this little gem I wonder..... 7.0 p.m. on BBC4. It's a series of 4 programmes and I just happened to chance on to Episode 3 last night and was instantly smitten, so Geoff and I after our dinner sat and watched episodes 1 and 2 on BBC IPlayer. The lady in question- whose name I've now forgotten walks around with a hand camera doing these walks over areas of Yorkshire and it's just such a laid back atmosphere - no music, nothing much from her in the way of commentary, beautiful scenery but as she's walking along we get little snippets of information printed up on the t.v. screen - such as grid references and 'miles to....' You can hear bird song and about twice through the half hour programme she will quote a little poetry...absolutely delightful...I felt I was walking the countryside with her and some of the little villages she goes through could be in 'now' time or from 100 years ago.

Great pity it's only 4 programmes.

Right - I'm jiggering off. Geoff's out today so I'm having a domestic morning and then hopefully will spend the afternoon playing. Probably something in the stitching line, or, if the flippin' weather will only brighten up, I might go into the garden. In fact, I might go into the garden anyway....the rain (so they used to tell us) does wonders for the complexion....... mind you at 77 it's perhaps a bit late for that......

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

LOL Brenda, it's never too late!

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. Barbara Stone

Yes Brenda, watched the Yorkshire walk programme, and like you, absolutely loved it. So simple, but so very good as well. Perhaps the producers of other programmes will stop putting so much background music in them.
    Weather in Taunton is horrible today- rain, wind but still warm. Think I might go out to the cabin this pm and make more masks for the family, while watching the re-runs of past Wimbledon finals. Great entertainment.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. Oh - I'm so glad Barbara that you liked the programme as well...wasn't it heavenly - calming, quiet ....and I found the snippets of information printed on the t.v. screen to be quite charming - the grid references and mileage distances of course one can pick up from Ordnance Survey maps anyway, but it was the little extra bits that were so interesting - as for instance in last night's programme she pointed out the Painted Lady butterfly and then we got a little print -out that they come across to us from Africa. Well, probably a lot of us do already know that anyway, but even so it did make you stop and think 'how on earth does something so fragile and delicate fly all that way' do hope they make some more programmes in the future.....

As for tennis, I do remember that you like that. Sadly men (sorry - and women) knocking balls about does nothing for me, but - we are all different - just think there are ladies too who don't like stitching!! WOT - I think all ladies should like stitching..... A certain Mrs. Langstaff likes her tennis as well so she's probably watching the same programes as you too at the moment.....

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. JeannieQ

Hi Brenda, That programme sounds lovely I must go and watch it. The BBC made a similar one a good few years ago, just sitting at the front of a canal boat and floating along the Kennet and Avon canal from Bath for 2 hours and the snippets of information were written on the canal in front of the boat. All you could hear were the sounds of the countryside and the birds singing, it was so relaxing. I believe they also made a programme on a sleigh but that wasn't so interesting as the scenery was all very white with snow.

Speaking of canals, we are off on our holidays tomorrow on a canal boat down the Oxford canal - a very isolating holiday but I just hope the weather improves - no fun messing about on boats in the rain.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. Hello Jeannie - I can't remember a programme about a canal boat in the way you describe so I must have missed that one. Usually though I do follow canal boat programmes as, like you, I love canal boat holidays.

Always makes me laugh though to see brochures for this type of holiday - they usually have girls lounging about on the top of the boat wearing either shorts or trousers - in white...WHITE and sometimes with sandals on.....I have never worn white 'bottoms' and sandals on a boat - usually it's wellies and anorak......you do need decent weather - especially for the poor devil doing the driving as of course that person is always at the back exposed to the elements!! I love to do some of the driving and am not a 'Timothy West' type of driver (assuming you've seen some of those programmes). Considering he and Prunella Scales are supposed to be 'boatees' of long duration he's a terrible driver.......and why do these people always slow down for bridge holes. Personally I've always found it best to eye up my oourse and get myself lined up properly then keep to the same speed as you go under the bridge - you have much better control of the steering I always find. At the end of the day as well, you never go over 4 miles per hour anyway 'cos that's all that's allowed isn't it......

Have you ever fallen in I wonder. I have. We were a crew of about 6 or so and had moored up and been to the pub at lunchtime. I'm not a drinker so I was the only one sober by the time we got back to the boat. I was last on and the chaps had started up the engine and were moving away from the bank as I was getting on....and you can guess what happened then.... It has to be said canal water is usually quite awful and it took a very long shower before I felt clean and hygienic again!! Oh - such good fun....a few years now since I've been boating, but I'd go like a shot again tomorrow. Wonderful too if you can get yourself comfortable up the front with a bit of stitching......

I prefer canals to rivers though as of course you can get off the boat periodically and walk part way - it's not as if you are going to be left behind by much with the boat at 4 miles per hour....in any case you need to get off on canals - someone has to work the locks. With rivers the bank is too far away usually for getting off and walking ...and one year someone in the crew I was with then suggested we took a boat on the Thames. I wasn't at all keen on that - the Thames is very tidal and very busy......fortunately the idea was vetoed. In any case I don't think we would have got the same 'laid back' and away from everything feeling that you get on the canals.

I see your post was done 11 hours ago so you may well be en route now to wherever you ae picking up your boat - or even actually on it and putting all your gear away.... You must report back when you get home. I do so hope you have a really lovely time. I envy you........

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. Jeannie! - how extraordinary - can't believe this........ I've just been sitting having a cup of tea and looking through the Radio Times for programmes starting tomorrow. (It's arrived late again this week....was delivered about 3.00 p.m. ish.....)

Anyhow, just browsing through looking at various bits and bobs and turned to Sunday programmes - and there on BBC4 at 7.00 p.m. it shows the very programme I'm sure you are referring to above!! A real-time two hour trip along the Kennet and Avon Canal.....

Isn't it amazing how these coincidental things happen from time to time.... anyway - that's my viewing sorted out for Sunday evening.....

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. Morning Ladies

Just to let you all know I'm still in the land of the living.
    I was having a bad day on Thursday - couldn't get motivated to do anything. I think it's being shut up for so long that did it.

I think I've seen the walking program before, but didn't see the canal one - was catching up on the motor racing last night.

We went for a ride on the bike yesterday afternoon round the bottom of the Yorkshire Wolds. Selby, Beverley, out to Hornsea (very busy), down to Withernsea (much quieter, so stopped for a walk & ice cream), almost to Spurn Point, then back via Hull & the M62 - that's for those who know that part of Yorkshire.

I did one of Jane's hardanger watbo's last weekend - they come out quite large - it's almost as big as the small pair of scissors it's looking after.

I'm back to the mouse house now. Found some fabric for the last 3 rooms. I'm starting the Mr & Mrs Claus's living room - just need to make the designs I've chosen fit the fabric - may be some one over one involved !!

I want to know who said it could rain this morning - we had more than enough last week.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Unfortunately, I think the weather gods only look at the forecast to give themselves a good laugh.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. Barbara Stone

Brenda. Referring to falling in the canal, one year, my mum, dad and brother sloped off along a canal and enjoyed themselves. Anyway, going through one of the lochs, Mum was holding onto s rope, the boat moved away a bit sharpish and in she went. My brother was having hysterics of laughter, but dad, very carefully slung her a rope, and started pulling her to the bank. She got halfway out, when he found a loop in the rope, holding it together,, so he just let it go, in order to straighten the rope and mum went back into the loch. More hysterical laughter from Steve, before mum got out of the water and into s hot shower. She never forgave dad for that, On another occasion I was with them, w were mooring up at Fort William on the Caledonian Canal, it was blowing half a gale, and a boat arrived and wanted to moor. The wife jumped off, holding onto s rope, and a gust of wind took hold of the boat,, pushing it away from the bank. She held on for as long as possible until she was practically horizontal, before landing in the canal. Steve and I were both having hysterics at this point, as was the husband, but the wife wasn’t laughing, and we next saw her, as she got into a cab that had arrived to take her to the station, complete with case. End of that holiday, and possibly also their marriage!
    Missed the programme on Sunday, as I was cooking, but hope to catch up with it soon. Despite the forecast which said it was going to be dry today, they lied, and it’s just started raining. It might bring the slugs out tonight for the hedgehogs. We had four different ones on the patio last night, all very Grateful for their food, as they are having difficulty finding stuff to eat in the garden. One of the males is trying to have sex with any female that comes near him, and it’s great entertainment watching her shuffling around s plate, eatiing, whilst at the same time, stopping the male from getting anywhere near her. We do have babies however, and we occasionally see them with their mum.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. I've never been canal boating, but my brother has several times.
    The first time he went was with friends. He stepped of the boat in to the canal because the boat was the wrong way round !!

Barbara, I'm so glad you have so many hedgehogs - wish we did.

I'm actually going to visit the office next week. Need to have some meetings with people - there is only so much you can do over the phone, video calls, etc and the car need a good run.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. Jean Strange

Morning everyone
    Sat in new conservatory with a cup of tea. All done except blinds which are on order!! It is lovely warm and out of the wind which is the problem in our garden.

Managed to visit Jeff’s Mum in Chepstow now that Welsh government have relaxed the 5 mile travel restrictions. Also went to see his brother who lives about twelve miles from Mum. Went to see his building site of a home. Just don’t ask!!!! Enough to say started before lock down, builder self isolated with them for a number of weeks to keep working. Work not likely to be finished before Christmas!!!!!! I don’t think I could cope with it.

Weather dull and overcast today so looking forward to being able to stitch in lovely light conditions this afternoon only trouble being pollen levels affecting my eyes. Oh well off to do the ironing now.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. We went last Saturday to pick carpets. They are coming to take measurements on the 31st & hopefully they will be fitted by the middle of August.

The pictures are starting to go back on the walls.

We haven't got as far as blinds yet - one thing at a time.

With the pubs reopening Mick has been really busy up at our club where he is on the committee. I keep getting roped in to do door duty when they have their meetings.

Jean, I really feel for you with the hayfever. I have done nothing but sneeze for the last few days. I find the overcast, windy days the worst.

It's nearly lunchtime, then back to work for the afternoon. Stitching will have to wait until tomorrow.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. Jean Strange

Morning everyone
    Helen the reason we seem to be rushing ahead is I have a husband who under most circumstances stances wants things done ASAP. The only exception to that was my first refurbished kitchen which Jeff did when I joke that the units had their first birthday flat packed in the garage!

Our carpet tiles were laid so quickly because we dealt with a small local company that we have dealt with a number of times before and they can get things in a matter of days normally. We wanted carpet tiles as we have had to have a man hole sealed and built over we have never had to access it in the 40 years we have been here, but you never know, and with tiles we can just take some up and not have to replace the lot!!!!!!! Were also told most big companies don’t do carpet tiles any more.

Blinds are going to be necessary as we have already discovered and were advised by a neighbour who had a conservatory built last year and didn’t have roof blinds fitted and is now going out for quotes to have them fitted. His wife uses the conservatory for her crafts too.

Having a few social distancing visitors a friend i taught with this morning, my ex head teacher who I am very good friends with on Tuesday afternoon and Fiona on Sunday a busy few days.

Hope everyone has a good weekend weather forecast sounds good.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. Hello girls,

Going back a few e-mails - Barbara - I was horrified to read of your mum falling into a lock - my God they are just so deep when full of water; but even if they were using it to go down to a next level of canal she would then have been just as much, if not more, at risk having a long drop before reaching the bottom where the water level then would be.... When I went in I got wet right through and at the time couldn't swim, but even so I wasn't in as much danger as your poor mum...... it makes me shudder just to think about it...... As for the poor lady at the Caledonian canal........wonder if she ever went back to boating holidays after she'd calmed down!

Pleased to see both Helen and Jean that the conservatories have come on a storm since I last looked on the Forum. I can envisage you both spending many happy hours in them with your stitching.

Lovely day today and I'm waiting for the dew on top of the grass to dry off in the sun then I shall get the mower out and give the back lawn a haircut. Been walking round having a general inspection this morning....weeds growing well again despite my efforts a week or so ago, after rain, to pull them out roots and all......

We have a new section at the bottom of the garden after having some work done down that area and I've put in a white Clematis montana which is going great guns up the fencing. That was especially sourced for me by a chap in Nantwich market as nowhere was open at the time for markets and it was a bit difficult to get hold of specific things - so I'm pleased with that; and then besides that I did manage to pick up a Passion Flower from a trolley outside our local Asda. It looked healthy enough but in a very tiny pot so I bought it (£2 - what a bargain) and immediately transferred it to a very large pot when I got home and that too has taken off well and now has several flower buds on it waiting to open......so exciting to see them, I've never grown a Passion Flower before. That too is tied up to the fencing.

Gardening is such a lovely hobby and like stitching, is very therapeutic. I often say to people I have a mantra on gardening: Get down on your knees, put your nose to the ground, your bum in the air and your brain in neutral......

Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.