The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

(244 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Helen Hawkins-Ainsley
  • Latest reply from Jean Strange

No tags yet.

1. I'd just like to wish you all a very happy New Year ????

Hope you all got some nice new projects to do

I have done a birth sampler in record time & will send some pictures. Sadly we can't go & see the baby tomorrow as my step daughter has tested positive for covid - they are all ok though. So I'm going to see if I can finish the latest cardigan that I've started

I started the nice big project that I found in the draw, but have changed the fabric it came with for band material. I think I bought it on the first CSG trip to Norway - it was definitely bought in Bergen on a CSG trip. If you want to look it up it is a Perkin kit of all the Norwegian regional costumes & am treating each "band" as a separate picture

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. Barbara Stone

Same here, hope everybody has a good New Year.
    Sorry to hear that you can’t go and see the baby yet, but hope that she and her mother will be fine, and hope they get over it quickly
    Thankfully my boiler was repaired on Friday, so I’m a bit warmer now and grateful for the hot water that is flowing from the taps.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. Hello girls - yes, happy new year to one and all.

So pleased to see Barbara that your man turned up on Friday to put your boiler to rights again - what a relief that must have been after the cold weather we are currently experiencing!

We had snow here again yesterday afternoon, came down fast and furious, but was beginning to melt by late evening and then we've woken up this morning and it's all gone. Sunny now and I think a touch warmer........ Scrubbed out the bird bath and water drinking dishes so they've been enjoying themselves have a wash and brush up and knocking back their breakfast....

The 'nice big project' you're talking about sounds good Helen - and well done on finishing the birth sampler in such record time - must've been those two lots of lights Santa brought you that helped with that one,......

Anyway, onwards and upwards, time to get on with the day job.......

We've now passed the shortest day and have turned to the light. It feels like there's something symbolic in that so I hope it's making you all feel bright and positive as we head towards better things - oh - and our jabs of course........

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. Hi all

The Sampler is now framed, so I will email some pictures soon. It is a very simple design though.

Brenda, don't get me started on jabs. Why have we done so few compared to other countries. Why are only 1 million doses available to give to people this week & why have we only done 600,000 people since the first lady. Looking at the BBC website I'm in the last age range due to be done so at this rate it will be another year before I get done - totally ridiculous in my opinion -rant over now

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. Barbara Stone

Totally agree Helen. Our GP surgery has no information on when they will be getting any doses, and my mum, age 95 hasn’t even got a hospital anywhere near her that will be getting any does very soon. Leicester, near where she lives I might add, has been in almost complete lockdown, since the start, apart from a couple of weeks, yet they don’t even have a hub hospital there. I’m sorry, but I would have thought that for a big town like that, that is so badly affected, they would have done something about it. Or is Boris and his cohorts saving all their vaccines for London, and celebrities, like Tom Jones, who announced on New Years Eve, that he had had his jab, cos he’s over 80! Oh don’t get me started.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. Hello Barbara and Helen,

Had to laugh - I've opened a can of worms there haven't I with what was just an off the cuff remark about our jabs.......have to say though all your comments from the two of you are justified from what we can see.

Also last Wednesday in the letters page of the Daily Mail they have a corner given over to a specific subject with letters 'for and against' whatever the subject is. Well, last Wednesday the letters were all 'against' - and the subject related to those retired medical people who'd stepped forward as volunteers (as asked for by the Government) to help out in the administering of injections as they roll out the vaccine for everyone. Apparently there is such a long-winded procedure to go through to become accepted to carry out this task that it seems as if it's bordering on the insulting as the volunteers are expected to go through such a rigmarole of pages of test questions before they would be told they had 'passed' the entry requirements - so in the main the volunteers are just saying 'sod it' and not bothering to further their enquiries any longer. Now we find in any case that we actually haven't got enough vaccines anyway.....

We used to be Great Britain - just wonder what's happened to the 'Great' over the years - it seems to me we just have fumbling buffoons telling us what to do these days......

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. It seems to me that because London & the South East have been hit with this new strain then the rest of us have to suffer. I'm fed up of constantly seeing it all on the news now.
    My dad is over 80 & was in the "at risk" group so he has actually had a jab, but my mum hasn't because she's under 75 - you would think that it they are going to do one person in a house they'd do everyone !! Mick's mum is well over 80, his aunt was 90 on New Year's Eve and her husband is nearly 90 & very frail but none of them have had a jab yet - so it also seems to be down to different doctors' surgeries not just different health authorities. I totally agree with Barbara about Leicester - the worst hit areas should be done first to try & stop it spreading out.

Enough ranting.

Who saw the Sewing Bee over Christmas? I still have part 2 to watch but did see part 1

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. Jean Strange

Afternoon everyone
    Jabs, well Jeff’s Mum who will be 95 next month hasn’t been offered a jab yet in Wales. Sister in law, also in Wales asked her surgery as she is vulnerable due to under lying health problems and they said they weren’t doing them until the Oxford vaccine was available. Jeff looked on internet and although I an clinically extremely vulnerable I am in fourth group to be offered vaccine as I am under 70. No news here at all about availability of vaccines. Also don’t know which if any of them I can have as I cannot have any live vaccines due to taking immunosuppressant meds. When it seems likely I might be offered will have to check with Kings College Hospital in London.

Yes I watched both Sewing Bee programs good fun and the celebrities did quite well considering most of them had never done any sewing before.

Am enjoying stitching the kit I bought from Jane with my birthday and Christmas money. Almost finished the stitching on the front of the bag. It is a very pretty design.

Waiting for Boris’s announcement tonight. As for fumbling buffoons Brenda at least we don’t have Donald Trump in charge!!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. Barbara Stone

Watched both Sewing Bees and like Jean, quite impressed with the celebrities. Patrick and Esme seemed to enjoy themselves, especially at the end of the second one - no I’m not going to spoil it for Helen, but carry on watching to the end.
    Watched our local news last night, and apparently one of the volunteers for giving the jabs had to give her employment history back to 1973! Why on arth do they need to know that far back? She got so fed up with filling in the forms, that she said ‘sod it’ and won’t volunteer now. Is it any wonder that they are having troubles trying to recruit people. Also saw details of the NHS people who had volunteered to go back to work at the start of the pandemic, and out of 36,000 who volunteered, they only managed to recruit 5,000. Again, mega paperwork was the problem. I’m glad I didn’t volunteer now.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Patrick Grant in a kilt (Swoon, thud)

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. Watched the second Sewing Bee last night
    Just the tonic I needed - it looked as if they really enjoyed making that one.
    Didn't the celebs do well with the party dresses? I love Joe & hope he will still be on it when they make a new series, I just find him really funny.

Went to work yesterday & now have a letter that says I can keeping going every week - you don't know how good that made me feel.

Christine, I can't quite see you swooning. It's amazing how good some men look in a kilt though - Mick had to wear one for a wedding !!

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Helen, don't you believe it, I can swoon with the best of 'em {wink}

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. I too thought Sewing Bee was good. I especially liked Sally Phillips, who, although she didn't seem to rate herself as much of a sewer, she had the most wonderful imagination I thought and was able to put something into the programme that the others didn't seem to have.

The programmes were also very welcome being 'new' when set against the appalling amount of repeat offerings. Awful !! especially as some of them concerned past comedians - Larry Grayson, Bob Monkhouse etc. I mean, we probably thought they were okay in their day but I bet there were many young people, on seeing them advertised, thought 'Who the heck is Larry Grayson (etc.)

I was desperately hoping for a showing of the film Downton Abbey. If you remember it was in cinemas earlier in 2020 and had been given a viewing too on one of the Sky t.v. channels. We don't have Sky, but I had thought it might come to what I call 'proper telly' as a Christmas Day special, but no....... and how disappointed was I about that.

So - I bet we all reverted to our stitching amongst all the cooking and washing up that went on. Helen it must be noted - and applauded - sent me a picture of her birth sampler which she finished recently. My goodness - I love it so much.... so I hope you all get to see it on Facebook or something.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. Barbara Stone

Quite agree Brenda. Its a lovely sampler, and Helen is definitely to be applauded for her stitching and for getting it done so quickly.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

It was a beautiful sampler and quite unusual. Thank you for emailing the picture Helen!

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. Auntie Beryl

Happy New Year everybody. Hope its a good one.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hello Beryl, I'm really pleased you've joined us!

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. Hi Beryl so glad you've joined us.

I've tried to put a post on the CSG facebook (twice) with the picture of the sampler - it's not showing up yet, but might later !!

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Helen, I'm not sure how the CSG page 'works' on Facebook - you might do better to email the picture to Andrea and ask her to post it for you.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. It's there now - I managed to put it on Mick's page & the CSG !!

Posted 3 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.