The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Joy and Jubilation

(29 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Helen Hawkins-Ainsley

No tags yet.

1. Just received a call from Andrea.......I'm off the waiting list for Leicester.....I'm going....I'm going.....YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy!!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Oh Brenda, that's brilliant! Three cheers!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. Great - looking forward to seeing you there

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

See you both in 45 sleeps {wink}

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. Rita Barron

So looking forward to seeing you all! Not long now!

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

37 sleeps :oD

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. Rita, it will be good to see you again - seems such a long time since I last saw you

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. Rita Barron

Is it too early to start packing??? Way excited!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. Hello girls,

No, it's not too soon to start packing Rita, I've already got some bits and bobs on the spare bed ready to go in my luggage...stitching essentials - you can never check often enough that you are not going to forget anything. Besides which, the build up of pleasurable anticipation is such a good feeling and all adds to the weekend even before you get there.

Haven't seen you for a bit - so it will be nice to catch up. My trouble is I get home and show Geoff what the project was and he invariably says 'Is that all you've done....' guilty as charged - I think I spend more time chinwagging than stitching.

How's your part of the world looking at the moment I wonder. In actual fact I did think of you the morning I travelled to Ally Pally - in relation to migrating birds. The train had slowed down in readiness to stop at Stafford station (I was travelling with my back to the engine) and I looked up at the sky through the window on my left and saw two large flocks of Canada Geese in their flying 'V' shape coming across the sky. They disappeared over the top of the train so I turned my vision to my right as I knew they would be coming down on the watery marshes area at Stafford. Absolutely magical....but that was when I thought of you as you must surely see some wonderful sights of migrating birds where you live. Mind you some people say we get too many of them - Canada Geese that is - but even so it was a wonderful reminder that there are some beautiful sights to be seen amongst the dross of life around us. Ukraine, the NHS, stabbings, the economy, railstrikes - a fun-packed life at the moment isn't it !! We need to be reminded of all the beautiful things the natural world bestows on us.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. We get the geese flying over us quite often as we live near a large RSPB reserve. The fly at night as well & you can hear them, but not see them.
    I can't use the spare room to put bit for Leicester in as our house has turned into "Poppy Central" this year - have to use the office instead.
    The 2 gentlemen who organised our local Poppy Appeal retired at the start of the year & their replacement pulled out last minute so Mick & I have taken it on. Fortunately they kept very good records that they gave us, so we have have managed to organise it in about 3 weeks flat.

2 weeks time & we will all be chatting, laughing & doing a bit of stitching

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

As at today, 15 October 2022, it is 20 sleeps to Leicester

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. Sorry, I've just wished a whole week away there
    These poppies are getting me very confused at the moment

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. JeannieQ

Helen, I hope you will bring a box of poppies with you to Leicester so that we can all buy one and boost your funds. I know what hard work it is, my sister does it up in Cumbria and it takes all her time. It's almost worse collecting them all back in again. Good luck.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Yes please Helen - I would sooner buy a poppy from you than anyone else!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. I plan on bringing some poppies with me - don't know what I'll have yet. As we took this on so late in the day the stock order was put in for us & some of the things we would have asked for aren't there and some of the other stock is in smaller quantities than we'd like

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. Barbara Stone

Talking about birds - Bob and I went to the Scilly Islands on 14th October, to scatter my mums ashes on the islands, as requested, and the boat was absolutely heaving with Twitchers. They took over 1000 in three days. All to go to Bryher to see a very rare bird - only the 4th time it had ever been seen in this country. The poor thing must have been terrified out of its wits! It was called a Black Bernian Warbler - don't know why, because it was brown and cream! We didn't go and see it, as it would probably have flown away as soon as Bob and I landed on the Island! I did hear a very good and true story about a previous rarity that turned up on the island. There were thousands of Twitchers all looking at a little bird that had arrived, never having been seen in the country before, until the local cat caught and ate it in front of all those spectators, who could do nothing to save it! They weren't too impressed, by all accounts.
    But its nice to see different birds, and I love watching them and the shapes they make, especially starlings, when they do their murmurations in springtime. We see them on places like the Steart Marshes, where they roost in their thousands at night. If you ever get a chance to see them, take it, you won't be disappointed.
    Sorting out my stuff to bring to Leicester - its all laid out on the spare bed, and I'm hoping I haven't forgotten anything.
    Brenda, you're lucky that your husband actually looks at what you've been doing. Mind just grunts and says something like oh, is that what you were doing. No enthusiasm whatsoever. Really getting excited now. See you all soon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. Ooooh - cometh the hour girls......not long now.......

I notice Mick Lynch has got his troops out again - with the intention of mucking up train travel prior to and post Leicester weekend. Bloody 'ell - that's the Festival of Quilts, Ally Pally and now Leicester that he's trying to mess up for us all......... I'm beginning to think he's anti-women - believing that we should all be stuck by the kitchen sink rather than going out and enjoying ourselves.......

Maybe we should buy one of Helen's Poppies and send it to him telling him where to stick it....

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

...point-y end first, or blunt end first?

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. Good question Mrs. Berrett - given it some thought - so the answer is TWO POPPIES so application may be made by both the suggestions you offer....... that'll make his bloody eyes water....

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hey - we could stick poppies in his eyes too!

(please note, I am NOT advocating violence, it's just wishful thinking)

Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.