The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Sewing Bee

(28 posts)
  • Started 11 months ago by Jean Strange
  • Latest reply from Helen Hawkins-Ainsley

No tags yet.

1. Jean Strange

Hi Ladies
    The Great British Sewing Bee starts again on 24th May at 9pm. Hurrah something to look forward to. Who will be watching?

Posted 11 months ago #
  2. Barbara Stone

I think you and I started this topic at the same time! Carry on with this one I think. Big article in RTimes this week about it.

Posted 11 months ago #
  3. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I will be watching it, for one

Posted 11 months ago #
  4. I'll be watching (or at least recording) it

Posted 11 months ago #
  5. Yoo-hoo - me too......I shall be watching. Having to record it first though - as with all Wednesdays until the series ends as it clashes with choir rehearsal nights. Useful to record it though even if you do watch it while the actual programme is showing because you can go through it again - stopping and starting the recording - if you want to make notes (which I do) or take note of the contestants names. I always get the people muddled up on the first one or two programmes as there seems to be so much to take in - it's all so interesting.

Hope you are all enjoying the summery weather we are having. I am already though saving my washing up water to throw over plants I do not want to lose where the ground is drying up - already! and we are not up to the hottest part of the year yet. I have a lovely white rhododendron in the front bit of garden which 'came and went' so quickly earlier in the year - I'm sure from lack of water being administered last autumn. My Girls Guide to Gardening tells me for this type of plant that we should water prolifically in the autumn time for abundance of flowers the next Spring, trouble is though - as all you gardeners will know - it's an acidic plant so loves only rainwater,and my poor rhodi obviously didn't get enough moisture last autumn. Must do better this year. We have several water butts collecting rainwater but it gets used up very quickly.

Posted 11 months ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

What are our thoughts on the first programme?

I think the correct person went but I'm not so sure about Garment of the Week

Posted 11 months ago #
  7. Jean Strange

Hi all
    Managed to watch Sewing Bee last night. Yes I think the right person went home. I think garment of the week was chosen because it fitted so well and was sewn well. It might not have been the most striking but it was definitely the one that fitted the model best.

Posted 11 months ago #
  8. The correct person definitely went home last night
    Seemed to be on their own planet

Certainly some different challenges last night

Posted 11 months ago #
  9. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Definitely the right one to go this week

Posted 11 months ago #
  10. Hello all, finally caught up to date with Sewing Bee by last night. Flippin' 'eck, just as well seeing as episode 3 is on tonight!! I shall have to record that too now, seeing as I shall be at choir rehearsal. Anyway.....

Yes, I agree the first week with Catherine leaving. As for Garment of the week. I can't say I liked the fabric choice and 'cut out' dresses aren't my bag, but I did think that overall it looked the best sewn one - so, that was that.

Episode Two - Oh, I was heartsore that Gillie had to go. Okay, she wasn't the best sewer and didn't necessarily have much eye for pattern or imagination with what she sewed, but there was something about her that appealed to me. I really thought 'in real life' that I would have loved her as a friend. She had a caring sort of face to my mind.

As for Garment of the week, I didn't approve of the judges choice of Mia's offering. Might have looked okay for just parading about in but those big floppy sleeves could have been a nuisance when trying to swim in the darn thing. Much more to my style was Lauren's rusty red offering (with the one strap over the right shoulder). I thought it was stylish, sleek and made the model look elegant in it. Of course though, that wasn't what the judges were looking for was it.

Don't know about the rest of you but I would have hated having to make a backpack.....phew.....to me it looked a really difficult piece of work to put together.....and then it had me thinking.... if you recall back some time ago Andrea's Newsletter said she'd been contacted by the Sewing Bee team to ask if there was anyone in the Guild who would like to be considered as a contestant......good job I for one didn't rise to the challenge!! - that backpack would've seen me being sent off instead of Gillie........

Posted 11 months ago #
  11. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

This week's made-to-measure was a bit odd, I thought - more like another transformation challenge

Posted 10 months ago #
  12. JeannieQ

This week's transformation challenge was even more odd - a canvas!!

Posted 10 months ago #
  13. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I was relieved to hear that the canvases had been specially commissioned, and that the art students had been told that their canvases were going to be cut up

Posted 10 months ago #
  14. Barbara Stone

Decidedly odd was my thought on last nights competition. Maybe I'm just getting old, and can't imagine ever making anything like those. There are now two people who should have gone, (in my opinion) - perhaps when I get back from holidays, they will have!

Posted 10 months ago #
  15. Jean Strange

Morning ladies. Nearly time for the next Sewing Bee and back to normality with children’s week. I like this one it’s interesting to see what some of them think children will like to wear. Looking forward to seeing what the dinosaur dressing gowns look like.

Posted 10 months ago #
  16. Hello girls, Catching up with your comments on Sewing Bee - and I have to agree with you Jean - great to be back to normality with children's week. Haven't seen any of it yet - intend to start watching tonight, but after the last two weeks of - frankly to me - rather obscure tasks using materials and designs slightly 'off piste' with the usual concept of Sewing Bee, it will be nice to see items more in line with the type of machine sewing that we would usually be undertaking.

Can't say I've enjoyed watching them chop up crochet blankets or trying to machine art canvases into dresses. To my mind Bee has been concentrating more on what they see as 'fashion' rather than the down to earth enjoyment of sewing the kind of things we might like to wear ourselves.

Sad to think though that we are now about halfway through the series.......

Posted 10 months ago #
  17. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

No argument with this week's result

Posted 10 months ago #
  18. Yet to see last night's offering, but have caught up with children's week. An absolutely delightful episode and those darling children walking 'the catwalk' in their made to measure garments was so lovely.

Must say though, I didn't like Lizzie's dress - she wasn't able to finish it and I thought the colours were rather dull for a little girl. I feel Patrick and Esme are showing a strong preference for everything Lizzie does whereas I think Asmaa is on a parallel with her......interesting to see where this goes.

Must start watching last night's episode now........

Posted 10 months ago #
  19. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I think the right person went this week, but I wouldn't have given Garment of the Week to any of the made-to-measure - none of them really fitted well and they were all (in my view) badly sewn

Posted 9 months ago #
  20. JeannieQ

Couldn't agree more Christine. I thought one of the Audrey Hepburn dresses should have won. They were much better made.

Posted 9 months ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.