The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Guilty Pleasures

(14 posts)
  • Started 13 years ago by stitchcrazy
  • Latest reply from Su Maddocks

No tags yet.

1. stitchcrazy

Why do I feel so guilty when I take some time out of my busy schedule (part time working mum of two) and sit down to do some stitching. Instead of enjoying this rare moment spent stitching, I am busy thinking of all the other household jobs that require my attention.. Maybe it would have been simpler to take up golf like my husband does, because once on a golf course there are no household distractions!!

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Posted 13 years ago #
  2. Brigitte Gant

Not any more. Keep practising and the guilty feeling will go away. It takes the same effort and time to wipe away two weeks' worth of dust than two days'. However, it is very important that you are calm and relaxed to tackle the humdrum stuff whenever you need to.

Posted 13 years ago #
  3. I agree. Don't feel guilty just sit and relax with your stitching. Housework! what's that! Sally

Posted 13 years ago #
  4. Andrea Thompson

I live alone which is good on the one hand because it's only my own mess I have to clean up but bad on the other because there is only me to do it! I try and get myself into a regime so that before I do some stitching I have to have done at least one household chore. Washing up, ironing, etc... As long as I've done something then I can spend the rest of the evening with my feet up without feeling any guilt.

Posted 13 years ago #
  5. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Feelings of guilt are very bad for the soul. Make a New Year's resolution to give them up, right now!

Posted 13 years ago #
  6. Auntie Beryl

I hate housework!It interferes with all the other things I like to do. ie, crossstitch, embriodery , knitting , crochet , dancing , holidays.I work on the priciple that nobody died because there was dust on the mantlepiece ! It will all be there when you are gone and life is too short !I could go on ..........! Happy stitching.

Posted 13 years ago #
  7. EILeen

I am just leaning to forget everything els and do my crossstich it is much more relaxing than house work

Posted 13 years ago #
  8. 140559

I know what you all mean. I also try to do something for the house first. However, having been ill, I don't have much energy. I did the washing up and chopped some veggies for tonights dinner, and it left me a shaky wreck! I never have that problem with stitching!

Posted 13 years ago #
  9. I think we all identify with this scenario. Like Andrea I too work on the basis that if I do something specific in the housework line then it's okay to reward myself with some stitching after that. Personally I think it's part of a woman's make up that we have a little bit of a martyr in us. Tiresome.

What you must do is to book yourself onto the next Guild Weekend. I don't think anything's planned yet but when it is - get your name down pronto. I'm sure I speak for all of us who go on these weekends that it is such a joy to just run away from everything at home and indulge yourself with stitching whilst the hotel staff around us provide our meals and make our beds. It is BLISS! You will go home refreshed I can guarantee it.

Posted 13 years ago #
  10. Barbara Stone

Stitchcrazy, I agree with everything that has been written. We had a talk by a psychiatrist at work who was stressing that with such stressful job as I do, everybody needs to have a hobby that will help them relax. Okay, I think I've now taken it to extremes, but its very true. After a day spent arguing with surgeons, I come home, my husband has cooked dinner, and I can sit and relax with my stitching. It really helps, so don't feel guilty, just go for it. Leave the dust - it will still be there tomorrow, and just lean a new technique in your stitching.

Posted 13 years ago #
  11. EILeen

barbara I have just started doing crossstitch i was fine till the flower I was doing needed back stitching in just sections of the it drove me mad looking a every 2 stiches HELP Eileen

Posted 13 years ago #
  12. Cecilia

Stitchcrazy, if anyone moans about the lack of housework, just show them where the cleaning cupboard is.

Posted 13 years ago #
  13. Barbara Stone

Have you got a copy of Jane's bible? It will give you lotsof hints and tips about doing backstitch. I must admit its not my favourite stitch, but if you leave it out, the rest of the picture looks flat and unfinished. I found that out the hard way. It will be worth it, when you look at your finished picture, and are able to think "I did that". Keep at it girl, it will be worth it in the end.

Posted 13 years ago #
  14. Su Maddocks

I have just read through all your comments and I SO agree. Even though I am a retired widow I still have to "ration" my stitching. I too make myself undertake a chore such as ironing or vacuuming etc each day then I am "allowed" to settle down with a mug of tea and my stitching. I think it's partly a woman thing but also our upbringing. I bet many of you, like me, were made to complete your chores before being allowed out to play...and it's stuck !

Posted 13 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.