The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Can You Help?

(10 posts)
  • Started 13 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Su Maddocks

No tags yet.

1. I am after a little chart of a Spitfire aircraft - not a cartoon or 'funny' one - a proper one. As I would like to sew it onto my band sampler (which is approx 4" width) - the design cannot be too big.

I have vague recollections of once seeing a two page leaflet - similar to the Cattitudes type thing - which had lots of small aircraft designs. Am I dreaming this or can someone else verify that such a thing does exist.

I did an entry on my band sampler for Remembrance Day Sunday last year - which was the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. I wanted to stitch a Spitfire but couldn't find one, so I did a poppy and 'Lest We Forget' instead; but it's still bugging me and I don't feel I can move on to the next entry until I've exhausted the search for a Spitfire.

Hope you can point me in the right direction!

Posted 13 years ago #
  2. Su Maddocks

Don't know if it will be of any help but many moons ago I remember stitching one as part of a larger piece of work for Jane's book "At Home with Cross Stitch". It might be too big or perhaps could be adapted for your band sampler. If not I hope someone can come up with a pattern for you. It's so frustrating when you have set your mind on something and can't find it. Good Luck ..Su

Posted 13 years ago #
  3. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Brenda, have you tried designing one yourself, from a photograph or other image?

Posted 13 years ago #
  4. Oh Mrs. Berrett luv - you have such faith in me!; but yes, I think I shall have to resort to having a go at a do it yourself job.

The book Su refers to isn't one of Jane's that I've heard of before, so can only guess it's going to be a book that's now out of print. I am frequently at our library and often browse through the handicraft books but have never seen this one of Jane's there. It did get my brain working though having these two messages; because I put them together as it were and thought when I am next in the library I shall go to the Aircraft books and look for something along the lines of Second World War Aircraft and then hopefully find a picture that I can do a tracing of and then transfer it to graph paper - so thank you, both of you, for your suggestions.

Posted 13 years ago #
  5. Su Maddocks

Brenda...if it's any help the book was Published by David and Charles in 1994..so a couple of years before Jane formed the Guild. Might help your library track it if you go down that route...have you thought of asking Jane if she still has a copy of the pattern she could let you have ?...anyway happy hunting..Su

Posted 13 years ago #
  6. margarita

Jo Verso's books 'World of Cross Stitch' and 'Picture it in Cross Stitch' each has an aeroplane motif which may give you a starting point for creating your Spitfire.

Posted 13 years ago #
  7. Thank you to all for the suggestions - I feel I am getting somewhere now as you have all inspired me to get the brain box working!

Posted 13 years ago #
  8. Su Maddocks

Brenda - was at the stitching day at Pinks Barn yesterday. Mentioned your query to Jane who admitted she had forgotten she had designed a spitfire. I said I had told you it might be worth asking her. She said she didn't still have the pattern herself but could probably get one for you. Hope this helps. Su

Posted 13 years ago #
  9. Hello Su - it was so kind of you to mention to Jane about the Spitfire chart. In actual fact someone else had the same idea and just yesterday my little chart arrived, with permission from Jane to use it so at last I can go ahead with what I want to do.

This is the nice thing about the forum - our media for keeping constantly in touch and all pitching in to help out where we can. The Sisterhood of Stitchers - can't beat it! Love Brenda

Posted 13 years ago #
  10. Su Maddocks

Hi Brenda - so glad your query is resolved and yes, this forum is great....wish I had joined is sooner...good luck with your project. Love Su

Posted 13 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.