The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

So new to Cross Stitching - Can you help me?

(12 posts)
  1. Deme

Hi everyone,

Thought I would join the forum and introduce myself. I live in Northampton and I am 45 years old and disabled, currently reliant on a wheelchair and oxygen.
    On a whim last week my freind took me to Hobbycraft and I seen a beautful card for a wedding couple which I thought would be perfect for my son who is getting married in September. My friend said the card was a simple cross stitch for me to do.

Oh dear, today I bought a magazine "Cross Stitcher" read through it and then opened the card and both had me totally baffled. I now realise what I need to do is go to some classes as right now I look at the materials and that's it.

Does anyone know of any classes I could go to for the total beginner in Northampton.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all

Deme x

Posted 13 years ago #
  2. Barbara Stone

Welcome to the forum Deme. I'm afraid I can't help, as I live in Bristol, but I'm sure that there are classes you can join, or somebody local who can help. Don't get disheartened, cross stitch is not only addictive, its also very therapeutic. Good luck with finding somebody to help and do let us know when you've managed to complete your card.

Posted 13 years ago #
  3. Flee

Hello and welcome from me too.

I actually taught myself to cross stitch, and if I can, anybody can. I still have my very first piece framed and on the wall - that was a really proud moment.

Posted 13 years ago #
  4. Brigitte Gant

Welcome to the madhouse, ehm, sorry, CSG forum, Deme.
    Would you be able to got to your local library where you might find a book with instructions. The magazines usually have 'Back to basics' or something like that which could help you. Maybe your local Adult Education Service can tell you if there are classes or know of a tutor who would be willing to help. It really is not difficult. The only really strict rule is that your topstitches should always be in the same direction. Good luck.

Posted 13 years ago #
  5. Deme

I tried looking on a site that showed you how to do even a simple stitch and I jsut couldn't fathom it, I am a hands on person and prefer to be shown than trying to follow instructions.

Hopefully someone will ocme on here that knows of classes in Northampton or even someone who does CS adn can help me on a one to one basis.

Finger crossed

Posted 13 years ago #
  6. 140559

I know what you mean when you say you'd rather be shown than follow instructions. I'm a bit like that too. However, like many of us on this forum, I'm self taught too. I've just been reading issue 176 of "The world of cross stitching" , I think it's the current one, and at the back of it (pages 96 and 97) is a beginners guide to cross stitching. It tells you about choices of fabric, threads and needle sizes. It has some pictures too and you might find it helpful. Enjoy! Alison xx

Posted 13 years ago #
  7. Hi Deme
    Welcome to this mad world of stitchers
    Try this link http://www.victoriasampler.com/StitchAnimations/Default.aspx it is for the Victoria Sampler site & they have stitch animations which you can play, pause, rewind etc.
    Helen

Posted 13 years ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

That's a great website Helen, thanks for introducing us all to it!

However, if you want a demonstration of what I'm sure we all think of as 'plain old cross stitch', you have to select "Surface stitches - Cross Stitch Danish" from the drop-down menu. Never heard it called that before...

Christine

Posted 13 years ago #
  9. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Also, don't forget that the main Cross Stitch Guild website has got a tab labelled 'Cross Stitch Basics' ...

http://www.thecrossstitchguild.com/Cross_Stitch_Basics.aspx

Posted 13 years ago #
  10. Hi Christine
    I think Victoria's Sample is a Canadian company, so that could explain the strange term for Cross Stitch. They have a lovely rhodes stitch butterfly on that link.
    They also have some lovely free patterns - I've used one in the flower sampler book
    Helen

Posted 13 years ago #
  11. Auntie Beryl

Wecome from me , too. If you can get to your Library ask if they have a class or would they be willing to start one . I go to one at our local Library that caters for all kinds of crafts . Our library is glad to get people in . Or if at all possible , try the weekend . All Holiday inn hotels have lovely bedrooms specially converted for the disabled . I know ,I have stayedin them .
    You could try putting a little postcard "ad" in a local shop ! Beryl

Posted 13 years ago #
  12. Michelle

Hi and Welcome. I too went to the Sewing for Pleasure / Hobbycraft show at the NEC. I live near Lichfield so quite close for me (I'm 45 too!). Have you tried You Tube - I found that really good when I decided to knit some face clothes for gifts and how to knit was really explained well. If you go onto http://www.youtube.com and type in How to Cross stitch - I am sure something will come up to help you. Good luck x

Posted 13 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.