The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

new to cross stitch

(13 posts)
  • Started 13 years ago by hazellw
  • Latest reply from howlingwolf

No tags yet.

1. hazellw

i have a cross stitch where is the best place to start is it in the middle and work out or from the edge and work in i have a hoop should i use that from the start.

Posted 13 years ago #
  2. Flee

Hellooooo and welcome from me - Ive never used a hoop and it depends on the design I guess (with me) - sometimes I start at the top corner, sometimes in the middle - I have no set thing .........................

Posted 13 years ago #
  3. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hi!

I don't use a hoop either, but it's totally a personal thing.

I do tend to start a design in the middle and work outwards, unless it's something like a band sampler (or similar) when I will usually start at the top and work my way down.

Regards

Christine

Posted 13 years ago #
  4. hazellw

anyone live in oxford do you put tape round the edges to stop it from fraying anymore

Posted 13 years ago #
  5. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I overlock the edges (if I can be bothered to get the overlocker out) or otherwise I roughly hem the edges by hand.

But for very small pieces - for a small greetings card, for example - I usually leave the raw edges because you're not handling the piece for long enough for it to be a problem, I find.

Posted 13 years ago #
  6. Flee

I don't put tape round either - afraid I like in Middlesex, Id love to meet up and stitch with other people but theres no clubs around here at all........................

Posted 13 years ago #
  7. Elsa H

Welcome to this addictive hobby. Taping the edges depends on the size of the project and how much handling it is going to get. I use a frame and don't use tape. I stopped using hoops when I thoughtlessly left one on for a while and it permanently marked the fabric - urk! Hoops can also flatten your stitches. When I started cross stitching I used to fold the fabric to find the centre and sew a line of thread vertically and horizontally through the middle of the fabric and start from there.

Best of luck

Posted 13 years ago #
  8. Barbara Stone

Sellotape or masking tape is what I use. Don't use a hoop either, unless its a massive project, in which case I use a frame if it involces Hardanger, otherwise I don't use anything. I live in Bristol.

Posted 13 years ago #
  9. Elsa H

Just goes to show how everyone is different - I never use a frame for Hardanger. Sorry to go off on a tangent from the original thread, but I learned Hardanger from a fan of Janice Love, who wrote two wonderful books: Hardanger - Basics and Beyond and another called Fundamentals made Fancy. Progressed from Kloster Blocks to all sorts. Anyone who ever saw these books will be familiar with her "pinch and pull" advice. Brilliant for those who cannot make the classes for Hardanger for the Horrified, or who just want to have a reference for this lovely stitching method.

Posted 13 years ago #
  10. genypha

To seal the edges I use clear nail varnish

Posted 12 years ago #
  11. 140559

I find that pinking shears used round the edge helps stop fraying. I used to use a hoop but now find it much easier not to. For big projects though its got to be a frame

Posted 12 years ago #
  12. craftaholic

Always start from the middle unless you want to count it all out so you will have enough aida. I sometimes use a hoop, sometimes not, just depends really. I used to have a frame that sat over my legs but didnt like that, i like to have it closer. You will love it once you get going:)

Posted 12 years ago #
  13. howlingwolf

I always use a frame for bigger designs and hoops for smaller designs. Also I use masking tape around the edges. I don't do it all the time mind you. But working from the middle is always a good idea, unless the design tells you differently.

Posted 12 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.