The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Wells cathedral

(3 posts)
  • Started 12 years ago by GRAZIA.04
  • Latest reply from Brigitte Gant

No tags yet.

1. GRAZIA.04

Last year I visited Wells and I saw the cross stitch cushions on the choir seats. Could anyone tell me if there is some book about them or even the charts?

Posted 12 years ago #
  2. Hello Grazia - don't know about the stitched cusions on the choir seats at Wells; but I can tell you that in our church in Nantwich (Cheshire) - St. Mary's - there are at least a hundred kneelers all done in tent stitch. Each one is different and they cover many subjects. A dedicated band of ladies got together some years ago to do these and to my knowledge still meet up. The literature (fold up leaflet type things) covering the church and its history makes mention of the kneelers. As I understand it many churches have these type of kneelers.

There is a church somewhere else in my local area - and for the life of me I cannot remember where or what church it was that I visited one afternoon - but one section of their kneelers goes right across the front of the altar - each one a 'picture' in its own right but forms when placed side by side across the altar front - a landscape effect as you move from right to left. Quite fascinating and very beautiful. I've never looked into the subject but I don't doubt there is a 'following' of this type of needlework and no doubt libraries hold books pertaining to it.

With Wells being a cathedral I should imagine there may even be a website, part of which could give a history on their cushions. Do Google it and give it a try. You've got me interested now! - I might possibly do the same myself.

Posted 12 years ago #
  3. Brigitte Gant

Apart from the cathedral in Bury St Edmund's there is another huge church - I think it is called St. Mary's - which has hundreds of beautifully stitched kneelers. But the little village church of nearby Bardwell also has them, depicting local scenes. The most recent village church which was very impressive was in Glandford in North Norfolk. Most kneelers had a maritime design. DH and I visited the big stately homes in the region, but I was more impressed with the freize (not sure, if this is correct spelling and am too comfortable in my chair to get up and get the dictionary) done by John Craske, which hangs in the Shell Museum next to the church. If you put in John Craske in the search you get some info about it. Considering his circumstances it is amazing that he stitched such a work.

Posted 12 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.