The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

i-stitch questions?

(10 posts)
  • Started 12 years ago by Crafteresa
  • Latest reply from Crafteresa
  1. Crafteresa

I am considering buying the Jane Greenoff's i-stitch software and just want to ask a couple of questions before I decide!

if I see a design i like say in a magazine and want to change it for myself(colours or personalize it or add something to it) would I be able to upload it to the
    i-stitch and work on it?

if I want to create charts from photographs and sell them, like offer a service for charting, would I be allowed to do that or is there a licence "for personal use only" on the software?

is there a facility to store my own designs like borders etc and add them to the library of designs on the software?

is it as good as it looks?

sorry to ask the questions but I am going to buy a cross stitch software this week and can only afford to buy 1! I really dont want to buy anything and wish it did this or that!!
    I want to offer to make charts from photographs or personalized designs for sale to raise money to fund my hobby and a little bit extra.
    I would rather ask now than regret not asking later!

thanks

Posted 12 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hi! As I use the iStitch program I'll try to answer your questions as best I can...

As far as I know, there is no way to automatically 'upload' a chart from, say, a magazine into Stitch. In other words, you would have to sit and copy the chart yourself into iStitch by hand/mouse.

I believe that you are free to sell any chart you make from your OWN ORIGINAL photograph or design. You obviously can't sell or make money from other people's designs or photographs without the copyright-holder's permission.

You can certainly store your own designs on the software, eg. by using the motif library, but personally I always store my designs in a normal folder on my computer, like any other document.

On balance, cross stitch design programs are probably all much-of-a-muchness in what they can do. The big plus with iStitch is the very wide range of designs available in Jane's motif library - I've no idea how many designs there are on the program, but it must be hundreds! Maybe I'll go and attempt to count them....

Posted 12 years ago #
  3. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

.... over 2000 motifs, and over 100 'instant designs'. Phew!

Posted 12 years ago #
  4. Crafteresa

thank you very much
    think I am gonna order it
    and give it a try

thanks again

Posted 12 years ago #
  5. Stitchdesigns

I would like to add some questions about iStitch. Maybe somebody who already have it can help me. Unfortunately there are lack of information in official description here on the site. And I have got no answer on my questions sent through the question form.

So if somebody would be so kind to tell about:
    1) Have the iStitch virtual framing?
    2) Is it possible to import virtual view of the chart in any graphic format?
    3) Can I import chart in pdf, jpg, bmp, gif (or any other) in black&white symbol format?
    4) Is it possible to see somewhere a result of converting illustration into chart (its virtual view and symbol view)?

Many thanks to the person who will answer me. Or I would be appreciated for your answers on my mail: StitchDesigns@i.ua (be my guest).

Posted 12 years ago #
  6. Crafteresa

I have another question too....
    say i import a photograph and create a chart
    can I myself decide the size of the finished work it will create?
    for example can I make a chart so that the stitched size
    of the work can be larger or smaller hence more or less detailed
    (I don't mean by using different count fabric)
    like if it were a square 200x 200 or 150x 150 or 50x 50 stitches etc

Posted 12 years ago #
  7. Stitchdesigns

I think it must be set in the prosess of converting photo to chart. As I know from my experience of using other programs it is not impossible to change size in stitches of already made chart. The only way is using different count fabric. So it is better firstly to make some attempts to convert chart in different sizes and to choose the best for you.

Posted 12 years ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I can't answer 'Stitchdesigns' questions, however I think I can answer 'Crafteresa'.

When you import a photograph to make a chart, you can decide how big the finished piece will be - that is, how many stitches. So you can determine how big the finished picture will be.

Of course, the fewer the stitches, the less detailed the result. That is to say, if you start out with a photograph which is 600 x 800 and reduce it to a more manageable size - 150 x 200 for example (which is still quite a big chart) - then the end result will be much more 'coarse grained' and less detailed than the original.

In any case, the maximum chart size in iStitch is 500 x 500 stitches, which is nearly 36 inches square at 14-count.

Also, there is a 'resize' option within the program so it is possible to reduce or enlarge a chart once it is on screen.

Hope this helps.

Posted 12 years ago #
  9. Crafteresa

that's the exact information I needed
    thank you very much
    I was hoping for the answer to be very much the same
    so know now the software is what I want
    and ordering it first thing in the morning
    thanks to everyone who helped

I have been asked to make a cushion for the ringbearer
    for my sons wedding its quite different to the usual so I am
    looking forward to making a chart for him as my very first design