The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

New to the Forum

(12 posts)
  • Started 12 years ago by Bea-stitching
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone
  1. Bea-stitching

Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum but not to cross stitching, have been a cross stitcher for about 25 years and love love it. Recently bought Jane's iStitch an upgrade from her previous CD rom, which I must admit I only used a couple of times, but the iStitch I am loving. My name is Barbara but my friends call me Bea, I am married with 3 grown up children all living away from home now. Adam is 28, Leanne 27 married with 2 boys, and Fiona 25 who has Phil as her partner. Phil is in the Army. Both Adam and Fiona live in Hampshire, Leanne lives in Geneva, Switzerland. My husband David and I live in France just over the border from Geneva as my husband works for a Swiss company in the city. We have been here for just over 10 years and have a Westie Maisie who is 8. My husband is Scottish and although we lived in Hampshire for several years before coming here I originally came from Essex. Well that is me! Anyone want to tell me about yourself would love to hear from you.
    Best wishes
    Bea

Posted 12 years ago #
  2. Hi Bea

Welcome to the forum. You will make a lot of new friends through it.I have a daughter who lives in Hampshire and I myself live in Dorset. Not far away. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Sally

Posted 12 years ago #
  3. Jean Strange

Hi Bea
    We have a caravan in The New Forest so all in the same sort of area. I have a son in law in the army too! So a few things in common. I'm a full time teacher but try to stitch as often as I can. Am stitching a chatelaine started at one of Jane's days at Pinks Barn and a Halloween hanging at the moment. You will soon have lots of friends on the Forum
    Jean

Posted 12 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

Hi Bea, I'm another Barbara, and I must admit I hate my name being abbreviated. I live in Bristol with my husband, but I originally came from London, and in fact was born in Essex (before they changed the boundaries so it became London) and I can hear everybody saying now "Oh, so she's an Essex girl" Yes I am and proud of it!! I work for two days a week in an operating theatre doing Plastic surgery and am currently doing the second year of my City and Guilds course in Patchwork and Quilting, so I'm quite busy. When I do have any free time, I enjoy bird watching, gardening and of course cross stitch. Welcome to the forum, and I know you'll make lots of friends through it.

Posted 12 years ago #
  5. Doris

Hi Bea, I'm Dee. hehe Really, half of my friends call me Doris, the other half call me Dee. I don't really like the name Doris because my mother always made it sound like she was yelling at a horse ... DORSSSSSSE. I live on the other side of the world, in Jacksonville, Florida and am very pleased to meet you. I am always perfectly behaved (shh Barbara)and love the company of the sweethearts of this guild.
    Happy stitching
    Doris

Posted 12 years ago #
  6. Brigitte Gant

Welcome to the madhouse, but we are all lovely with it. I have been a member of the CSG almost from the beginning, so now I HAVE to go to the Knitting & Stitching Show in Alexandra Palace every year to renew my membership. I live in Bedfordshire now, although I was born and brought up in Germany. I have a lovely patchwork family - I have a son and two daughters, DH has two daughters. All are married or engaged to be married. Only my elder daughter and her family live locally, so I only see two of my gorgeous grandchildren on a regular basis. I still drive to Germany 4 or 5 times a year to visit my Mum. So I enjoy the coach tours with the CSG all the more, as I don't have to sit behind the steering wheel for a change. Hope you like being amongst us.

Posted 12 years ago #
  7. Su Maddocks

Hi Bea (that was my Mum's name too but she adopted the name as she hated Bertha - especially after the gun Big Bertha was created !) - I live in the lovely village of Clovelly on the North Devon coast but was born in Kent (as was my late husband and my two lovely daughters.) I am retired after 42 years in the NHS, 27 years of it in Wiltshire which is where I became friends with Jane over 20 years ago (although I only got round to joining the guild a couple of years ago - to my shame) Both my daughters are guild members and we love getting together and stitching. I love reading all the banter on the forum and being part of this mad band of ladies - so welcome from me too - Su x

Posted 12 years ago #
  8. Barbara Stone

Su, just as interest, what did you do in the NHS? I'm trying to forget that I have to work for it at the moment, but I'm being extremely nosey. Its not what it was when I first started and I'm sure you would agree with that. And Doris, you're always perfectly well behaved, and if anybody says otherwise, we'll discuss it with them at length and in a dark corner, where nobody else can see us.

Posted 12 years ago #
  9. Su Maddocks

Hi Barbara - I trained in the 60's, and am proud to say, as an SRN (later to become RGN)I worked as a Senior Nurse then became a hospital Matron and then a Directotate Manager. I certainly agree it is not what it was and am often shouted down for my heretic belief that the rot started with the demise of the enrolled nurse and the old style (non university) training of our nurses and the constant government insistance on tables and number crunching rather than a patient-centred service. Anyway - soap box put away with an admission that I was very happy despite the long hours and hard work. Wisely neither of my daughters followed me - one is a Dental Practice Manager and the other a designer for Hotel Cocolat - so one ruins my teeth and the other sorts them out !!

Posted 12 years ago #
  10. Brigitte Gant

Su, that arrangement sounds perfect bliss.

Posted 12 years ago #
  11. Andrea Thompson

ummm Hotel Cocolat
    Let us know if they want any taste testers! I'm sure we'll all form an orderly queue.
    :-)

Posted 12 years ago #
  12. Barbara Stone

Hi Su, I totally agree with you about the time the rot started - I was an SEN beforeI retrained as an RGN and I still think they should bring back the SEN's or something like it, because everybody on the wards has a degree, but nobody can make a patient comfortable in bed!! Incidentally, my husband (who got made redundant from Cadbury's a couple of years ago) can actually put down on his CV that he IS a chocolate tester, as that was part of his job, so can he be first in the queue please for the Hotel Chocolat?

Posted 12 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.