The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Help wanted

(29 posts)
  • Started 12 years ago by 140559
  • Latest reply from brenda midgley

No tags yet.

1. I've always thought what sensible girls Janet Nicholl and Andrea Thompson are so in future when I think of window cleaning or car washing - I shall remember their pearls of wisdom - and refrain from filling the bucket with water.

Sat and stitched a bit this afternoon, working on the band sampler at the moment. I've got to the bit where I want to do an entry about Gaddafi being shot dead. Bit gruesome I suppose, but it is (or was) newsworthy at the time. I need a motif and have this afternoon sat with a bit of graph paper drawing a pool of blood (supposed to be his) - even more gruesome - (honestly; some of us need to get a life!) - I can't think of how else to record it. Could do a coffin I suppose. What a cheerful Friday afternoon this is turning into!

On a lighter note I am really quite chuffed that also this week I have finished off two UFO's - only little things, but it's two off the list (and sadly it's really rather a long list)

Oh well, back to the drawing board - and if anyone else can come up with an idea of how I can record Gaddafi's disposal from this mortal earth please let me know....... Love Brenda

Posted 12 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

A right Cheerful Charlie you are, Mrs Midgely! Is it absolutely necessary to do anything quite so graphic? I mean, wouldn't the simple text "Gaddafi shot dead" do?!

Posted 12 years ago #
  3. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

OK Brenda, how's about this - Lybian flag with a bullet hole?

(genius, or wot!)

Posted 12 years ago #
  4. Only just see this post - does anyone else need any of the Oliver Twist. I got some extra as I expanded my version of the square, so must have some left email me on helen.hawkins.contegopackaging.com. For any one who wants the chart it's in Hardanger for the Horrified

Brenda good to see you don't change, are you going to Norway with us?
    Flag with bullet hole is a good idea for your sampler - better than blood

Helen

Posted 12 years ago #
  5. Hello Helen - you've been in my thoughts recently as I wore on my jacket collar earlier this month the little Poppy pin you sold us last year at wherever we were. I gave the chaps in Asda some money for their boxes this year but I told them I had a pin poppy and was also recycling some previous ones. I did ask them about purple poppies and where I could get them (they have come into being this year, as you may or may not know, to commemorate the animals who died in the wars.) Being an animal lover it's important to me. I did discover after the event that there is a Vets surgery in Crewe who had them; so at least I shall know where to go next year.

Christine's idea about the flag is a good one. Funnily enough we have a little book at home with Flags of the World in it - I bought it for Geoff as a 'tree' present one Christmas (my generosity knows no bounds)- but I use it more than he does.

It would be easy to convert it to a cross stitch pattern but I'm not sure whether it's a wise thing to do - somewhere at the back of my pea-sized brain I have the thought that it's an insult to deface a flag - bit like sticking the Queen upside down on an envelope. I don't want some Libyan knocking on my door and putting a bullet hole in me just 'cos I put a bullet hole in his flag! Nah! - think I'll stick with the pool of blood - good colour on the sampler anyway, livens things up a bit - apart from Gaddafi himself that is.

As for Norway - unfortunately I'm not able to do that trip. I am hoping for weekends at Hiltons though so hopefully Jane will come up with the goods! Hope to see you then. How are the chickens doing by the way - are you feeding them with Paxo so they come ready stuffed for Christmas? Love Brenda

Posted 12 years ago #
  6. Hi Brenda
    Only got 1 hen now - she wants some friends from Santa. Might let her have some if she stops breaking the eggs, else it's the pot for her!!
    Mick says "it's a secret recipe of 'erbs & spices she's getting - finger licking good"

Sorry you're not going to Norway - who's going to entertain us now?!?!?!

Helen

Posted 12 years ago #
  7. Andrea Thompson

I think it's opnly defacing a flag if you have a flag then put a bullet hole in it...Because you are stitching it, the hole was always there...
    but you can get clothing artivles with flag designs on them so I think it's only defacing if the sentiment behind it is intended that way.

you could try the outline of Libya ? and have your words slightly overlap, or a machine gun over the top of it.

Posted 12 years ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I agree with Andrea!

Cab.

Posted 12 years ago #
  9. Couldn't help a giggle - flipping 'eck Andrea - a MACHINE GUN! Even I hadn't thought along those lines!

Interesting though all these useful comments about defacing flags.

Now the outline of Libya idea is a good one - I must get out my Girl's Atlas of the World to have a look. Thank you for that.

In the meantime ..... machine gun indeed - have you been a rebel in a previous life? To think you sat at Beryl's table on Saturday looking like butter wouldn't melt.

Helen - chickens - yes, why can't I think of something to do with chickens for the band sampler, got quite a few designs of lovely chickens; maybe I do a headless chicken running round a Fir tree - we all feel a bit like that by the time Christmas arrives! Love Brenda

Posted 12 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.