The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

A Little Plea

(7 posts)
  • Started 12 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Doris

No tags yet.

1. Now this will sound a strange request - more shortly - but in the meantime do we have a Welsh speaking stitcher out there who can tell me what is the Welsh for Rest in Peace.

Yes, I know this sounds a bit macabre - sorry about that. To explain I had a lady who sat next to me at choir for 31 years who has recenty died. It sounds morbid I know but I want to put a little entry on my band sampler in honour of Jean's memory. She was tremendously proud of her Welsh ancestry and I felt a Welsh 'Rest in Peace' would be a nice way to finish the entry.

I want to remember her for the fun we had. She was brilliant where music was concerned - that was possibly part of her 'Welshness' coming out (?) and she knew I can't read a note of music; it's all by ear with me, so we often had a laugh about something.

She never had a pencil on her and always had to borrow mine when the Conductor gave us instructions to write on our music sheets. I have my own way of writing things down - "What's that" she would say and point at the dead worm I'd drawn on my page. "It means 'carry on singing through without taking a breath" I'd reply. Next our Conductor might say "Change the quaver to a crochet rest" - Jean would borrow my pencil and change hers. Handing it back she'd say to me "Aren't you going to change yours?" "No" I'd reply adding patiently "Jean - I wouldn't know a quaver if I fell over one - it's all just sticks and blobs to me" and we would once again convulse in giggles.

Just happy memories of a lovely lady who fought a long and brave battle against illness. If anyone deserves to rest in peace it is her - so can anyone please help with the Welsh? Thank you. Brenda

Posted 12 years ago #
  2. Tinouche24

Try - babelfish.com It is a translation site on the internet, put in what you want, state the languages and it will do it for you.

Posted 12 years ago #
  3. Sandra Harris

Gorwedd Mewn Hedd

Gorwedd means to lie / rest
    Mewn means in
    Hedd means Peace

I'm not fluent in Welsh but have been learning for a few years. I'll check with my tutor next week to make sure.
    I'm so sorry you have lost such a true friend. I lost such a friend 18 months ago. She was English and I'm Welsh so you can imagine the banter we had going between us. Like me she loved cross stitch and we often went to the needlecraft shows together. We would have a brilliant day out. I still go to the shows but it's not the same. However, as her husband told me, she'll be back to haunt you if you don't go. I feel I was so privelidged to have known her.

Hope this helps in some way. Keep smiling because I'm sure that's what she'd want you do.

Love and Best Wishes
    Sandra

Posted 12 years ago #
  4. Ladies - thank you so much for your help - and Sandra especially - I am sorry that you too have lost a friend dear to you. As you say doing the things alone which you once did together has such an empty feeling. I now sit in my seat at choir with an empty one beside me - the end one of the row so I can't even encourage someone to move along a seat to fill the gap. Horrible.

We've had our Christmas break now though and start a new term tomorrow evening. It could well be that someone new will walk in and just sit in the seat without knowing. Let's hope so - although if such a person turned to me and asked to borrow my pencil - it might make me gulp a bit! Love Brenda

Posted 12 years ago #
  5. Sandra Harris

Hi Brenda,

I met a fellow tutor yesterday who's first language is Welsh. I told him about your little plea and what I e-mailed you. After he'd stopped laughing at me he said I was technically correct but, Welsh being quite a complicated language, it would translate as an order. Basically you would be ordering someone to lie down in peace. He suggests that it should be GORFFWYSA MEWN HEDD. Apparently this is the way he would say it about a friend. Although it translates the same it becomes a much more personnal meaning. I hope this all makes sense and if you need anymore help just let me know.

I can't get over this forum. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I have just done a swap through this site and aquired Jane's Hardanger for the Horrified. The patterns are GORGEOUS. I want to do them all !!!!!!

Regards
    Sandra

Posted 12 years ago #
  6. Hi Sandra - thank you so much for the additional information regarding the Welsh for rest in peace. I think I can see what you mean about ordering someone to lie down, Bit like telling the dog to go and sit in the corner! Anyway I am now all correct thanks to your further endeavours.

I know what you mean about Hardanger for the Horrified. I have only seen the general blurb that's been in Stitch That but it does look lovely. Hopefully we shall get a bit more info when we have the Guild weekend at Swindon - I shall look forward to that.

Thanks again, Love Brenda

Posted 12 years ago #
  7. Doris

So sorry for your loss, Brenda. Sometimes losing a friend is as painful as losing a family member. Giving you a biggg hug.
    So, when do we get to hear you sing?
    Dee

Posted 12 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.