The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Fresh out the box

(13 posts)
  • Started 12 years ago by katherosthepure
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone

No tags yet.

1. Hi there :-)
    I'm a new convert to cross stitch, and I'm slowly stretching my feelers out through the various online stitching communities. I started stitching before Christmas with nothing but a 'Learn to Cross Stitch' kit and I haven't looked back since :-) I hope to benefit from the oodles of experience floating around, and hopefully create things I'm not too embarrassed to show off in likeminded company.

To that end, a question: I have stitched a sampler as a wedding present and am looking to frame it. Any advice? Are there good sites to buy self-built (rectangular) frames from? Or should I put it in the hands of framing professionals?

Thanks in advance for any advice, and I look forward to joining the fun :-)
    Catherine

Posted 12 years ago #
  2. Brigitte Gant

First of all, welcome to the madhouse, Catherine. Yes, cross stitching is very addictive, but very therapeutic, too.
    I am very fortunate that we have a market stall where I can order bespoke frames. I never part company with my stitched effort and get it into the frame, even though it takes me ages. However, I have not had any returned because they have fallen out, so I must be doing it okay. Have a practice with a smallish item and see how you get on doing it yourself. It's a lot cheaper. Good luck.

Posted 12 years ago #
  3. 140559

Ditto from me! I had a couple of large projects framed before Christmas and it was expensive. I've framed smaller stuff myself before. Brigitte, I think I'll have to come and meet your market guy!
    Catherine, welcome! I hope you really enjoy this site. It's members are always very supportive, but we are all a little insane!
    Love Alison xxx

Posted 12 years ago #
  4. Su Maddocks

Hi Catherine, welcome from me too. I am very lucky and one of the framers nearby employs a lovely lady who is herself a gifted needlewoman so she is tasked with framing any needleworks that come in. I had a large project that had taken a very long time to work and was made to be a familly heirloom so I did pay for her to do it professionally and I am so glad I did (and was well worth the expence) Usually, however, I prefer to frame my own work as I see it as part of the whole process and again the same shop will make frames in odd sizes for me if standard off the shelf ones are the wrong sizes - especially for long band samplers for example. M&S had some very nice box frames which I have used in the past so good luck and happy stitching Love Su xx

Posted 12 years ago #
  5. Barbara Stone

Hi Catherine, welcome from me as well. I got so fed up with paying megabucks to have projects framed, that I went to evening classes and learnt how to do it myself. That I know doesn't help you at the moment, but its a thought for the future. Failing that, at stitching shows you often see stalls selling frames, and you might be able to find one there if you can wait that long for another show. Failing that, you might like to get in touch with Maggie Pattenden who is a member of the guild and is also a professional framer. She might be able to help you, and I'm sure Jane would be able to give you her address. Good luck and happy stitching, Barbara

Posted 12 years ago #
  6. Thanks all for the advice :-)
    I have until about mid Feb to figure this out, as I have a friend visiting up from London then who I will use as a courier (rather than risk the ravages of Royal Mail). I will have a scout around for frames on my next day off - unfortunately it's a bit of an unwieldy size, being about 9.5"x5.5"
    I'll probably have a cast around for framers while I'm at it. It is a wedding present for quite a good friend, so I figure he's worth the money :-)

Also I have just remembered that a friend of my mother's is a member of the Embroiderers guild up here, so I'll see if she has any words of wisdom.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be piping up with more questions before too long :-)
    -Cat
    (if anyone's interested, a link to a wip shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/katherosthepure/6686023357/)

Posted 12 years ago #
  7. Doris

My goodness, Catherine. You are an incredible stitcher for "just" a beginner. Very nice to meet you. I'm the wayward child ... WAY west WARD of y'all.

Dee

Posted 12 years ago #
  8. Thanks Dee :-) I've never been very good with a needle and thread (or any craft supplies at all really) but I tried this and it just seemed to 'fit'. My fiancé's quite the artist so it feels good to have an arty skill of my own :-)

Posted 12 years ago #
  9. Barbara Stone

What the heck do you mean?? You've never been very good with a needle and thread!!!! For goodness sake - if what you've done is "just" a beginning, I'm going to give up stitching and take up something different like pole dancing! No, on second thoughts perhaps not, but don't put yourself down. What you've done so far is very, very good and I'm not the only one on the forum to be impressed. Keep on stitching Catherine, and we hope to see you at a guild meeting sometime.

Barbara

Posted 12 years ago #
  10. Doris

Oh my word. How do I get that image out of my head now?

Posted 12 years ago #
  11. Barbara Stone

Sorry Doris!!! Try a large brandy - that might help to eradicate the image I planted inadvertently. Barbara

Posted 12 years ago #
  12. Pole dancing is actually quite a good form of exercise ;-)
    Truly though, thank you for the compliments. It means quite a lot coming from people who obviously know what they are talking about.
    Proof that I've got the stitching bug bad: I had a dream last night where I gave someone the CS'd gift I'd made for them and somehow in the process of unwrapping the hasty covering we managed to unpick all the stitches and she was left with a mostly empty fabric filled hoop.
    Nightmare.

Posted 12 years ago #
  13. Barbara Stone

What HAD you been eating before you went to bed?? My nightmares are not normally stitching based, but if I will eat something that gives me nightmares I've only get myself to blame. I'm definitely not going to be taking up pole dancing I've decided, I think I'll stick with the birdwatching instead.

Posted 12 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.