The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Identity theft

(5 posts)

No tags yet.

1. Doris

Has anyone experienced this crisis? My husband just got hit twice yesterday, by 2 different people doing 2 different frauds. We're going through all the riga-marow to get back on track. The first was someone trying to get a joint credit card but Bank of America is no dummy and caught this even tho we don't do business with BofA. The really bad 2nd one is someone got hold of my hubby's # and in a wild, mad dash started using it. Our credit union is highly suspiscious of everything (ask Jane lol) and got on to it within hours of them doing this.
    Let me tell you something, it doesn't matter how well you monitor your accounts and information. Doesn't matter how safe you keep your info .. these crooks can get to it. We use a shredder, and my hubby checks the accounts every day. But they got us just the same. So, sweet ladies, please stay safe. I don't want to have to come over there to terrorize some bad guys.

Posted 12 years ago #
  2. Brigitte Gant

Oh yes, I know the feeling, Doris. 14 years ago we had just returned from the continent when I opened our company's Barclaycard statement which ran over two pages where normally four or five lines were the norm. Initially ranting at my husband for buying jewellery and hifi stuff when we had just beggared ourselves buying the upstairs flat at our let property I ran the card insurance company to report the fraud as all the purchase had been done while we were out of the country. However, since neither of us had lost our card the fraud department had to be notified. Somebody had cloned our card - I suspect it had been done at the petrol station before we left England - and gone on a spending spree until it had reached its limit. I leaves a funny taste in your mouth, doesn't it? Why do people who are so clever and do stuff like this cannot put their talents to good use, beats me.

Posted 12 years ago #
  3. Jean Strange

Our daughter had a dreadfull experience when she tried to apply for a visa for I think it was South Africa when she was possibly going there to live. She was told she did not exist, her name was an alias, she was not my daughter, she was not born where or when she said, and she had a string of criminal convictions as long as your arm!!! At the time of the criminal convictions she was still at school!! We are convinced that someone typed in the wrong info on this one as she has had no problems since then and has had CRB checks etc. after this time. The going to South Africa got called off which we were grateful for too. My husband discovered that if the problem continued she would have to go through Scotland Yard to clear this confusion. It wasn't money this time but it was a dreadfull feeling that someone could do this to anyone.

Posted 12 years ago #
  4. Doris

Exactly, Jean. My hubby keeps saying "They know everything about me!!!" I told the credit union the same thing, Brigitte. If these ugly people put that effort toward good, we'd have no wars. Usually, I look for and find something humorous to keep our heads up in a crisis. With this one, I can't.

Posted 12 years ago #
  5. 140559

We had a nasty experience when we were in Las Vegas. It was about three in the morning and the phone rang. It was our local branch of the Halifax asking had I made any purchases on my card. I said I hadn't and she said that she didn't think I was the sort of person to spend £7000 on a truck! Fortunately they hadn't accepted the transaction but they did have to stop my card until we returned and could sort out a replacement. Luckily we had Mastercard too.
    Now EVERYTHING that comes into this house with a name or address on goes through the cross shredder.
    My daughter's boyfriend spent 12 hours in a police cell accused of armed robbery. It turned out that someone had cloned his car number plate! It's still a good story though!!
    Everyone needs to be careful. Alison xxx

Posted 12 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.