The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Outing to Ely

(6 posts)
  • Started 12 years ago by Brigitte Gant
  • Latest reply from lkdgoegdd

No tags yet.

1. Brigitte Gant

Had a brilliant day out to Ely today. Went by coach with 23 other ladies - partly WI, partly Wing Stitch members to see the Quaker Tapestry in Ely Cathedral. It was fabulous stitching work. Just simply terrific. There were 39 of the 77 panels so far in existence (or is is it existance? I am too lazy to get up and get the dictionary, so take your pick. Remember I'm foreign) This link is on the back of the booklet I bought: http://www.quaker-tapestry.co.uk Have a look.
    Had great weather, too. So had a little taster of things to come.

Posted 12 years ago #
  2. Barbara Stone

Quite agree, I went and did a course at the headquarters of the Quaker tapestry, and saw most of the panels in existance, and its fantastic. I know it goes on tour every two years, and goes to different cathedrals, but I didn't know it was at Ely this year. Its a completely different tecnique to ordinary embroidery, and I've still got a kit up in the loft to finish, but goodness knows when thats going to get done. If you get a chance to go and see it, do so. (Incidentally, I think its e not a) Glad you enjoyed yourself, cos our weather has been disgusting here in Bristol, cold and damp.

Posted 12 years ago #
  3. Barbara Stone

Quite agree, I went and did a course at the headquarters of the Quaker tapestry, and saw most of the panels in existance, and its fantastic. I know it goes on tour every two years, and goes to different cathedrals, but I didn't know it was at Ely this year. Its a completely different tecnique to ordinary embroidery, and I've still got a kit up in the loft to finish, but goodness knows when thats going to get done. If you get a chance to go and see it, do so. (Incidentally, I think its e not a) Glad you enjoyed yourself, cos our weather has been disgusting here in Bristol, cold and damp.

Posted 12 years ago #
  4. Elsa H

Hi there, I visited the Friends Meeting House in Kendal last year, and was my usual bothersome self as the audio system thingy kept breaking down on me and I had to keep asking the staff for replacements. I too gave in to temptation and bought a kit - they look so delightful. It is safe and sound in my "to do" stash. Wonder when!

Posted 12 years ago #
  5. Cecilia

Hello, I 'dragged' my husband for a day out to Ely cathedral last Saturday to see the Quaker Tapestry and even he thought it was lovely, which indeed it is. I spoke to a very nice lady who was demonstrating the technique and when I told her I do cross stitch she said "well, if you can do cross stitch, you'll have no problem doing this". So, maybe if I win the lottery and can give up work, I'll give it a try. Failing that, I'll have to wait until I retire. Anyway, I've bought their book on Quaker Stitches in preparation.

Posted 12 years ago #
  6. Jean Strange

I remeber a number of years ago when I was a member of a lace making group, they had a speaker come to talk about the Quacker Tapestry. At that time there were not many panels finished and the speaker brought a "work in progress" for us to see. Even then it was impressive and I seem to remember having a go at one of the stitches but cannot remember it now as it was so long ago. Must try to make a trip to see it one of these days when it is somewhere near me here in Berkshire.

Posted 12 years ago #
  7. lkdgoegdd

It can be hard for a bride with wide feet to find a shoe that fits comfortably and are flattering on her feet. Brides having Nike Everyday Black Gray trouble fitting into a regular width shoe should shop for wide bridal shoes, which are designed with a wider sole in order to achieve ultimate comfort and style.

Posted 12 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.