The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Another new person! .... with a slight problem!

(12 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by Nozzerwad
  • Latest reply from Cecilia

No tags yet.

1. Nozzerwad

Now how can I introduce myself?
    I'm a really keen crafter - in fact started off with cross stitch some 25 years ago. Was really keen, then drifted to other crafts - in fact just love to meddle in anything I can actually make!

I'm back to cross stitch again, and have to thank Jane for re-inspiring me by her visits on C&C for making me want to find my UFO pile again...

However, I now have one big problem and I wonder if anyone can help me with it?

I'm really short sighted and used to wear contact lenses regularly. In that case cross stitch was OK as I used to wear these silly magnification glasses which were really superb. But time takes its toll, and I find now with lenses, that I can't see close up anymore and so now have discovered the great joy of varifocal glasses which I now wear most of the time.

Brilliant for day to day life. BUT, they're not powerful enough for my close stitching. So what can I use please? All advice is welcome. I have used one of those magnifying lenses that hang round your neck, but I really can't get on with it as I curl up on the settee to do my stitching and I'm always at the wrong angle to make me comfy!

Is there anything which will make my re-discovered hobby easier??

Thank you forum members,
    Barbara

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. margarita

Hi, Barbara, and welcome.

I do sympathise with you problem. I also wear varifocals. Mine are about three years old and are fine for everyday use but not good enough for close work such as cross-stitch. When I had my last eye test I explained the problem to the optician and I now have a pair of reading glasses with a stronger prescription. These are ideal for stitching. I can also read the pattern with them which I found I couldn't when I was using one of the round-the-neck magnifiers you mentioned.

Perhaps when you go for an eye test you could take a sample of your stitching with you so that the optician can measure your prescription accordingly.

I do hope you solve the problem and are able to get back to your hobby.

Maggie

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. Auntie Beryl

Hi! Barbara , I am also loosing the sight in my right eye . My answer is plenty of light . I always need a "spotlight " to read and stitch . Uplighters with a spotlight are good but any with an angled neck are the best .Welcome to the forum , I am sure there will be more "tips" for you to try .

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. Cecilia

Hi Barbara, welcome to the forum. How did you get your picture up in your profile?

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. Jean Strange

Hi Barbara
    I had special sewing glasses a few years ago and they were good. I also have a light like Beryl. When I go to the US I go to a little "club" where several members who wear glasses also use "Mag eyes". This is a sort of head band with magnifying lenses which go in front of your specs (there is a good gap between them). I just googled this and they are available from Amazon there are pictures there so that you could look and see if you think they would be any good for you.
    I'm about to get a pair of top of the range varifocals which hopefully I will get on better with than the last pair.

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. Hi Barbara
    I also wear varifocals which I find very good,but sometimes I need something stronger.
    Like Margarita my optician also reccommended strong reading glasses, which I find a great help. I also use a magnifying lamp when I'm at home.I also have clip on magnifiers which I use when I go on stitching weekends. I hope that you Find something to help you.
    Happy Stitching. Sally

Posted 11 years ago #
  7. Nozzerwad

Thanks so much everyone for your great replies, I reckon I'll talk to my opticians at the next appointment but will look at the other options in the meantime. It's a right pain in the neck!

Cecilia, my photo appeared by magic! I think it's one that I must have set up in another profile sometime but I can't find which one it was. If I find it I'll let you know..

Posted 11 years ago #
  8. Nozzerwad

My picture came from my WORDPRESS logon details. The cross stitch forum is sponsored by BBPRESS which is one of its associates so it picks up the details from there. So if anyone has a WORDPRESS blog, you can set your picture up there.

Should change my picture really as my hair is a lot lighter now (better to cover the grey you understand!!!).

Posted 11 years ago #
  9. Ann S

Hi from another newbie. Have you thought of talking to your optician about bi focals?
    Having worn varifocals for some years, I came to realise that my eyes were no longer adjusting to different distances so that if I looked up from my cross stitch to glance at the TV,the picture was not clear. I mentioned this to the optician who suggested bi focals with a very specific prescription for close work: these are small rectangles in the lower corner of each lens (near the nose) and have solved the problem completely. I only wear them when embroidering or machining, the varifocals remain fine for day to day use. It might be worth your consideration?

Posted 11 years ago #
  10. Jean Strange

Hi All
    Got my new glasses yesterday. Tried out the single lens "reading" glasses and all of a sudden I can see what I am doing the stitches are so much clearer!! Going to try the varifocals today while stitching/watching TV etc. As I don't really need distance glasses the top part doesn't have much of a prescription it is really to stop me going mad putting glasses on and off all the time. Oh and not being able to find them having taken them off and put them down, somewhere!

Posted 11 years ago #
  11. Nozzerwad

Have found a temporary solution until I next see my optician - and that's clip on magnifiers. They attach to my varifocals and so far the results are great! I look a right lemon - but what's new there then???

You've been so incredibly helpful and I'm so pleased I'm not alone in having this difficulty - I really feel cross stitch inspired again so thank you so much.

Posted 11 years ago #
  12. Cecilia

Thanks for the info about how to upload a photo. Unfortunately, I don't have a WORDPRESS blog so I'll continue to be a silouhette.

I'm glad that you sorted a temporary solution with your magnifiers. I think we've all looked like lemons at some time or other in sacrifice for our hobby. But, who cares!

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.