The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Back stitch text - circles and curves

(7 posts)
  1. NIKKID

Can anyone suggest a [fairly simple] method of arranging text for a sampler into a circle? I've tried shuffling the lettering about with a clock face as a basic guide but it just didn't work as I would have hoped.

What I would eventually like to do is arrange text in spirals and curves but until I can figure out how to make a simple circle this is a distant thought.

I'm currently using mainly Istitch but I am also running Cross Stitcher still on occasion.

Any help gratefully recieved

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. Janet Nicholl

This may sound a bit way out but do you use MS word? I think I might try using word art in word, printing what I come up with and then scanning it in to istitch as a picture and see what it comes up with. No idea if it would work or whether istitch would throw a wobbly, maybe others will come up with more sensible ideas!
    Good Luck, I am sure someone here will be able to help, they are a very knowledgable bunch.......
    Janet

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I haven't tried this so I don't know if it would work, but how about printing something off from WordArt* as Janet suggests, and then tracing over it on to graph paper?

* Other software applications are available.

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. Brigitte Gant

All I could think, when I read your request, is nightmare. I nearly had kittens just getting a single capital M to fit at a right angle. I could have stitched a whole alphabet in the time it took me to sort that out on paper. I do hope there is some brainbox out there who can convey an easy way to solve your problem.

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. NIKKID

I know what you mean Brigitte. I've tried all sorts. The word art idea is fairly sound except you can never be sure what the end result will be when you import it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it's a disaster. I was hoping to come up with some way of using backstitch rather than chunky lettering but it seems nigh on impossible.

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. margarita

I have a program called Draw Plus from Serif which enables you to put text in a circles or spirals. I haven't used it for text in cross stitch but I am sure it is possible.

You can download a free version of the Starter Edition from

http://www.serif.com/free-graphic-design-software/

Maggie

Posted 11 years ago #
  7. NIKKID

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll give that a try. I have tried doing text from wordart etc but I do find using that method often gives a bit of a 'lumpy' effect. The image import facility is great but it has some limitations. To work effectively you often need things much larger than you would like to get any sort of detail - there doesn't seem to be a half way stage. It's either massive with more detail than you want or tiny and lumpy looking. I have had some success with text when I've done wording in wordart or something but usually I've had to make it larger than I would really want so the letters are distinct.

A curving text facility would be a godsend wouldn't it?

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.