The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

What's going on with the weather?

(12 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by Andrea Thompson
  • Latest reply from Monica Langstaff
  1. Andrea Thompson

I've just been on holiday to the Norfolk Broads for a week and had lovely weather. Blue skies. Warm, even properly hot on some days.
    Yet this was the same week that they had flash floods. Lightening hitting the Tyne Bridge, Hailstones the size of golf balls.
    When I got back into work this morning, up in the North West of England, got lots of comments from my workmates about the rain when we barely saw a drop.
    It's not a huge country so it just amazes me that Norfolk saw a glorious week whilst elsewhere it was like the apocolypse!

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

We were in Yorkshire over the weekend and saw spells of torrential rain like a Monsoon, with much localised flooding. I'm surprised (and gratified) that the weather in Norfolk was so good for your holiday but believe me it was the exception :o(

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. Brigitte Gant

Glad someone else is puzzled by this strange weather. A little while ago I just managed to get across the supermarket carpark into my car before the heavens opened. I phoned my husband to check he had put his motorbike jacket and trousers inside which he had hung outside after waxing. He laughed, saying it was warm and sunny. I was only 3/4 of a mile away from our house.

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. Jean Strange

Here in Berkshire it is the wind as well as the rain that is the problem!! Even if it has been fine and sunny (like last Friday) it has been blowing a gale. I had new fence panels delivered and they were stood leant against the back of the shed next thing I knew half of them were flat on the ground blown by the wind. The landscaper came to put them up yesterday but couldn't do it because of the wind.

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. Barbara Stone

I was talking to my mum on the phone - she lives in London, I live in Bristol, and our weather was awful. Grey skies, torrential rain and a howling gale. Mum on the other hand, had blue skies, a light breeze and it was warm. Thats just 140 miles apart, and the weather is totally different. We've been having strong winds for the last few days, so its not just in Berkshire that the wind is a problem. Perhaps the atmosphere needs some Alka Seltzer??? Glad you had a nice holiday Andrea

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Sounds like Andrea did well not to be on holiday this week!

Posted 11 years ago #
  7. Jean Strange

Here I am watching the tennis at Wimbledaon, nice sunny weather Centre Court no roof. I live in Bracknell in Berkshire only about 30 miles away and it has rained just about all day!!!!! Raining quite heavily at the moment. I think the weather definately needs some sort of pick me up Barbara.

Posted 11 years ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

The weather needs to go somewhere where the rain will be appreciated....

Posted 11 years ago #
  9. Barbara Stone

What, like the Sahara desert Christine?? And talking about the weather, its been raining so hard this evening, our drains can't cope and there's water everywhere. If anybody now tells me that we've got to have a hosepipe ban, I think I might try and drown them in my overflowing waterbutt!!

Posted 11 years ago #
  10. Watched the tennis yesterday, while wondering if Leeds was going to see the sun.
    It's come out today, but keeps hiding
    All we can do is make sure we have brollies & rain coats with us when we go out
    Helen

Posted 11 years ago #
  11. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Washing has been in-and-out like a fiddler's elbow today :o((

Posted 11 years ago #
  12. I just came back from Bavaria last night, it was over 30c with very high humidity - not complaining though as it was so beautiful. However the rain started almost as soon as I set foot in England, very disappointing as I thought I might have brought some of the good stuff back with me. Thank goodness for the roof at Wimbledon, good luck Andy for this pm.

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.