The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Yahoo Group

(18 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by Janet Nicholl
  • Latest reply from Christine Berrett
  • poll: Would you join a yahoo group if one was set up?
    Yes please : (14 votes)
    100 %
    No thankyou : (0 votes)
  1. Janet Nicholl

Under a different topic heading we have been commenting about the wish to share photos of our work and some even want to put up a profile picture of themselves.
    There has been a suggestion to form a yahoo group.

I had a chat with Jane Greenoff, a must as far as I was concerned courtesy wise!

Jane has something in the pipeline but not this year and as long as we organise and moderate our group and she has no involvement (totally unable to take on anything else at all !!) she is happy that we as Counted Stitchers carry on spreading the word and sharing our work. CSG was set up in the days when embroiderers considered us the bottom of the pile and not worthy to be included in their groups etc! So even though times have changed (?) we need our own niche!

Jane is delighted to encourage us in the endeavor but asked for these few points to be included:

1. She is more than happy to have CSG mentioned in the group name and we would be allowed to use the CSG logo on the site but it should include a link to the CSG web site.

2. Maybe a tick box (don't know if you can) but something to say if you are a CSG member. The group must be open to all of course, subject to whatever we decide the membership criteria should be (again I don't know how new members are permitted to join the group).

3. I know from the VS group I belong to that each member can set up their own photo album. Jane is insisting that any photos posted MUST have an acknowledgement of the original designer, even if it has been adapted it must say "adapted from a design by...". There is a lot of noise about copyright issues and the internet so this acknowlegement is important.

4. No copying and swoping of designs or charts! Yes - info on where you sourced the kit, chart, design but no swoping - back to copyright and us wanting designers to continue to design for us not give up because they are unable to make a living.

So ladies (and gentlemen?) what do you think?

We had an offer to set up the group. I'm only the ideas person, I have no idea how to set up, moderate, approve members etc or the joining proceedure - maybe someone can give us some info on that?

We had an offer to moderate - Christine would this still be O.K. as checking that photos are acknowledging the designer might be more time consuming than you were prepared for? Also I have no idea how you moderate a yahoo group.

What do we call ourselves?

CSG Itch to Stichers ?? (might give the impression that it is only for CSG members)

Itch to Stitchers??

Ideas.........

Do we proceed?

Over to you all for comment please

Janet
    PS: See some of you at Pinks on Saturday (14th July)?

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. Su Maddocks

Hi Janet - I have been watching the chat on this subject with interest and am so glad you have spoken to Jane about it. I for one would love to be part of a google group. The Sampler Guild has one which, as a new member, I am planning to get onto - it will be interesting to see how their's functions. Sadly I have liitle IT knowledge so hope there is someone out there who can put us on the right track. Looking forward to hearing what others think - "Itch to Stitchers" sounds good to me and have a great time at the weekend at Pinks - I can't make another one till December so I am very envious

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. parddu

I can set the group up and make it as public or a private as we decide. We can moderate posts for first time users to eliminate any inappropriate mailings - that way we can catch any spam as well.
    It helps to have more than one moderator for a group this size. 2 or 3 would be best so if we want to have swaps within the group etc the burden doesn't fall on only one person.
    Itch to Stitchers sounds good to me as a name.
    I'll be at Pinks on Saturday so we can talk about it more then if necessary.

Rosemary

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Thanks to Janet for speaking to Jane about this!

Yes, I'm quite happy to moderate the Yahoo group altho' at the moment I have no idea how this would work. I assume that whoever sets up the group (thanks for the offer, Rosemary!) would be able to assign moderator status to specified users.

"Itch to Stitchers" sounds like a good name to me!

Just a question - does anyone know whether you need to have a yahoo account to be able to post on a yahoo group?

Christine

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. I like the sound of this as it would be good to be able to see other peoples work
    Unfortunately I don't have any idea how these things work either (and I work in IT !!)
    Helen

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. parddu

You need to have a Yahoo ID to post to a Yahoo group. Once you've joined the group you can opt to receive messages via email or just read them on the group website.
    Rosemary

Posted 11 years ago #
  7. 140559

I'd definitely be interested in this but can see the moderators will be busy at first. I think it would help those of us that aren't always able to get to events to not miss out on all the beautiful work that's brought to Bring and Brag. Being able to post photos would be a huge step forward. I really hope this project can get off the ground. Itch to stitchers - good name! Alison xxx

Posted 11 years ago #
  8. Gillie

Goodness, at last! Hello, everyone, have been a long time lover of Jane's designs, my name is Gillie and I hate forums, lol! Sorry, not really but Yahoo groups are SO much easier to get into and post! Took ages before the correct screen came up here to add a comment. I moderate a very active and friendly group on Yahoo and we have members from all over the world. We do exchanges, post pictures of our work and even have a book group and a round robin one! Do hope a group can get going here!

Posted 11 years ago #
  9. Brigitte Gant

Like the majority of memebers I am not IT clever enough to set anything up or moderate. Am glad I can just join in. My German stitching forum set up a yahoo group last year because the manager was expecting a baby and we wanted to stitch something for her and talk about ideas and show pictures withouth her getting a whiff of it, as there weren't any no go areas for her within the forum. I sometimes had problems to get into the group, but I did manage to post my pics. However, I will wholeheartedly support a group if one were to be set up.

Posted 11 years ago #
  10. Janet Nicholl

More news on this after Saturday when I will have a chance to chat to Rosemary and Jane.

Looking good so far.

Anyone else with name suggestions or do we go with "Itch to Stitchers" which sort of links us to CSG without appearing as though we are for members only.

Janet

Posted 11 years ago #
  11. Hi all - we are in Olympics year - how about Guild GB FotSpot. (well, we can't pinch Team GB can we!).

Good idea to have a group. Like Brigitte though, my knowledge of setting it all up stands at zilch.

Posted 11 years ago #
  12. Ann S

If set up, I'd be happy to join in: can't offer any help IT wise, I'm afraid.

Posted 11 years ago #
  13. Jean Strange

Like others my IT knowledge is not good but would join in. It might even make me know a bit more about the computer. I would certainly have to learn ways to transfer pictures to the Yahoo group site. Haven't had any inspiration for a name yet. Like Itch for Stitchers suggestion though.

Posted 11 years ago #
  14. Gillie

Ladies, you really do not need any IT knowledge to start a Yahoo group, trust me! And putting up pictures is simple, Yahoo provide the place and once you have opened a personal album for yourself you just browse on your desktop, or wherever your pictures are stored and upload.

Posted 11 years ago #
  15. Barbara Stone

Gillie, if other people are anything like me, I'd need to be talked through putting pictures onto a Yahoo site. I am definitely not computer literate at all, but would like to learn more, and be able to show off my work. ~Think I prefer Itch to Stitchers, Brenda. Sorry!!!

Posted 11 years ago #
  16. Gillie

Well, I can talk you through it, Barbara!

Posted 11 years ago #
  17. Hi Barbara - I think I'm broad enough across the shoulders to take rejection of my name suggestion for the group - (I'm certainly broad enough across the beam....!) Don't you dare laugh!

As regards putting pictures on a Yahoo site - I'm definitely there with you on that one. I have an IQ of about 1 where computers are concerned. Love Brenda

Posted 11 years ago #
  18. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

If there is anyone LESS broad in the beam than Brenda then I've yet to meet them....

Posted 11 years ago #
  19. Barbara Stone

Gillie, thanks for the offer - I might take you up on that. And Brenda I definitely agree with Christine. If you stand sideways, you disappear.

Posted 11 years ago #
  20. Would it be possible to have the web address for this group?

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.