The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Twisted bars

(6 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by Linda
  • Latest reply from Jean Strange

No tags yet.

1. Linda

Can anyone help, I've searched the stitch bible can't find it. Does anyone know what they are

Thanks lin

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I don't think I've come across 'twisted bars' before - at least, not in needlework!

Can you give any more details, eg. which pattern or kit they are in?

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. Jane N

Hi Linda, 2 thoughts: are you doing drawn thread work? If so, you may be looking for somersault stitch, which gives a twist to the vertical bars. If not, could it be a long buttonhole bar? If you work this stitch on a long foundation, it can twist as you work it. Any help?

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. Jean Strange

HI Linda, looked in several stitch books including some old ones, came to same conclusion as Janet. Then I googled "twisted bars" and low and behold amongst the info on twisted metal bars was a post from the Nordic Needle (American company) with instructions for twisted bars!! Guess what they are somersault stitch, but these were worked with a slightly different edge to the one we use (not hemstitch). The link if you want to look is nordicneedle.net/2010/04/22/twisted-bars/
    Hope this mght help.
    Jean

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. Helen F

There's also a hardanger stitch called "twisted bars", though I can't find a description of it on the web. Its in The Anchor book of Hardanger embroidery, page 34:

These bars are normally placed radiating out from the centre of a block of four cut holes, although they can also be worked diagonally across a single cut hole.

To work a Twisted Bar radiating out from the centre of four cut holes, bring the thread through the fabric at the middle point of the remaining solid fabric block at the centre of the square. Take the needle back through to the wrong side at the point where the other end of the bar is to be placed, and bring it back up through the cut hole. This diagonal strand of thread forms the basis of the Twisted Bar.

Take a stitch under the diagonal thread so that the thread is twisted around this diagonal strand. Continue in this way until the original diagonal thread is well covered. Take the needle and thread back to the wrong side at the original starting point of the first stitch and fasten off [or continue to the next stitch]. This completes the Twisted Bar.

They're also used in other filling stitches, for instance, the Spider's Web Filling Stitch. (There's a description of this on the Caron Collection site.)

Best wishes,
    Helen

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. Jean Strange

Just looked in another book found whilst tidying up. Found twisted bars in Hardanger section says they are "overcast" or what Jane calls wrapped bars. The book is Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches revised new edition by Jane Eaton. It does seem as though it is definately Hardanger or hemstitch.

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.