The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

embroidery hoops

(11 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by Tina Lamborn
  • Latest reply from Tina Lamborn

Tags:

1. Tina Lamborn

Does anyone have a full proof way of covering hoops other than tape on both sides to help prevent a mark being left on the work, even when the hoop is taken out when not being used.

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hello Tina

I realise I'm not being helpful here, but I think the best way to avoid hoop marks is to not use a hoop!

Seriously, I find it much easier to work without a hoop, so the question doesn't arise. However, I've read about binding the hoop with tape - are you saying that this still leaves a mark?

I'm sure there are many members out there who prefer a hoop and hopefully they will come up with some suggestions for you.

Christine

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. Tinouche24

Have you tried using a spring tension hoop. As long as you always remove it when you stop stitching you should have only a slight mark (if a mark at all) which is easily ironed out.

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. carly

I've heard that if you use strips of fabric around your hoop then it stops marks. I don't use them so I'm afraid I can't tell if it works or not.
    Let us know if you try it and if its any good.

Carly

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. Ann S

I don't always use a hoop but, when I do, I use one which I've previously bound by using bias binding on the inner ring - winding it round and round and using the stretch of the bias to pull a little so that the binding doesn't have lumps in it. I've found that this prevents marks from the wood getting onto your embroidery fabric. A hoop bound in this way will last a long time. Last year an assistant in a shop advised me to use cotton tape instead on the basis that it's cheaper than bias binding but it didn't work for me; the tape was much thicker than the BB and, not having any cross stretch in it, was difficult to apply without getting lumps and bumps. Hope this helps!

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. Tina Lamborn

Hello, thank you all for your suggestions. I really only use a hoop when the piece I am working on is quite large and I find it easier to handle. I have both my outer and inner hoops bound with a thin cotton tape. I am still trying to work without a hoop wherever possible, but having been taught with one this is not so easy! I have found today that if I do not pull the hoop too taught like you would normally an embroidery hoop that has helped and the marks are far less noticeable. I have not tried the spring type hoops as someone told me they do not advise for cross stitch work. I will just have to persevere with out I think, but thanks again for all your suggestions. Tina

Posted 11 years ago #
  7. Rita Barron

Hi Tina! I almost always use a hoop as I prefer it especially for Hardanger. I bind both inner and outer hoops with cotton bias binding. In addition if I have to put the hoop over any stitching (bigger pieces of work) I always put a folded piece of white kitchen roll over my stitching before tightening the hoop as extra protection. I use a small screw driver to tighten the screw and find this works well. I always take the work out of the hoop after a stitching session. I like using linen and I find if there are any slight marks they are easily ironed out. Linen is very forgiving!! Rita

Posted 11 years ago #
  8. Tina Lamborn

Hi Rita,

Just read your comments, many thanks. I will try using some white kitchen roll the next time I need to cover my stitching. I too, need to use a hoop for hardanger and any satin stitches as I find the stitches sit better. Tina

Posted 11 years ago #
  9. MaryAKe

Hello Tina

I have just joined the forum and seen your post. While at Alexandra Palace la couple of years ago I watched a lady demonstrating crewel work. I was more fascinated by the way she used cling film to protect her work. I decided to try it out as I do a lot of work including goldwork, which can take some time and it can be annoying having to remember to take he work out of the hoop. My gold work teacher thought it was a splendid idea and now I use this method all the time. Simply place a piece of cling film over the work, place it between the hoops and tighten. Ten cut out the cling from the work area. With this method you can get the work as tight as a drum which is necessary for goldwork, and does make cross stitch very easy.
    Mary

Posted 11 years ago #
  10. Rita Barron

HI Mary!
    Oh wow I have never heard of using clingfilm! I will try it tonight! Thank you!
    Rita

Posted 11 years ago #
  11. Tina Lamborn

Thank you Mary, I have not heard of this before, but will give it a try. I still try and work without a hoop but have to say am working on a larger piece at present and for me, anyway, using a hoop makes it much easier to stitch. Tina

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.