The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Where to start on large project?

(6 posts)

Tags:

1. Hi, my first post here. I've recently joined the Guild & started stitching a few months ago. I'm about to start my first substantial project which I'll probably be working on a scroll frame so that I can "wind up" the finished parts of the work as I go along. I'm trying to decide where to start the project - everything I read says to start in the middle but it seems to make more sense to me to start at the top if I'm working on a frame. Any advice would be appreciated!

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hi Bernadette!

Given that you're using a scroll frame, I'd say to start at the top and work down. But before you start you should make quite sure that you're not going to run out of space at the bottom!

The reason that you are generally advised to start in the middle is so that the design is centred on the fabric, but I should think this would be tricky on a scroll frame.

Christine

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. Barbara Stone

Hi Bernadette, if you're working on a scroll frame, you could start in the middle and work either upwards or downwards, before returning to the middle and going the other way. As long as you ensure you've got enough material not to run out of space as Christine says, you could start at the top, but I think its personal preference. Good luck with your project, and we all want to see it when its finished.

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. Thanks for your helpful replies - I wasn't sure whether there was some sensible technical reason for always starting in the middle but of course it makes sense to be certain that you've got enough fabric! I can't wait to get started but I'm making myself do a couple of small practice pieces of the design first to get used to using a large chart. I'll post some piccies as and when it's finished and if I'm happy with how it turns out and the quality!

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. Jane N

I too often work on scroll frames for large projects. As I always put a vertical & horizontal centre running stitch on anything I'm working, I tend to do something similar to that which Barbara was suggesting: ie, start somewhere near my marked centre. However, I then work any small pieces of the design that allow me to navigate up to the top of the design as soon as possible, then complete the work right the way across and down from the top, scrolling as I go. Sounds complicated, but basically it's just a way for me to work from top to bottom, whilst being sure I don't run out of fabric because I've made a horrible mistake with any measuring!
    The other thing I do is roll the fabric round the rollers with the right side in. The downside of this is that it's harder to make the fabric drum-tight, but I think it has two advantages: one is it minimises the risk of wear or rubbing/catching the front of the stitches, and the other is that the bottom roller gives me somewhere to lean my wrist/forearm when I'm working, again without marking/rubbing the surface of the unworked fabric. However, Barbara's right: it's all a matter of personal preference :-)
    Enjoy your project, J xxx

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. RozMinis
    Blocked

I always mark out the fabric in blocks of ten using a polyester thread, removed as I am working. I've done that ever since the day I discovered the fabric in a kit was way too short. I know it takes time, but less time than having to frog and/or buy more materials.

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.