The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Working on linen

(11 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by lindashanks25
  • Latest reply from ladykrose

No tags yet.

1. lindashanks25

Hi, I have done only small projects on linen in the past, but now I have started on the Fleur Etui. It is a joy to stitch, but can anyone tell me how to stop it from looking like a dish cloth.
    Thanks,
    Linda

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. Barbara Stone

I know that I gather my linen into my hand, and it does crease, but when you've finished it, washed and ironed it, the creases will disapear and it will look pristine again. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the Fleur Etui. Its something that I will do, when I get the time.

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. lindashanks25

Thank you very much. At least I know the creases will come out now. It is really lovely to stitch. I am a bit wary of making it up, but .will just have to take my time

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I always work "in my hand" and yes, linen does have a tendency to end up rather crumpled, but a quick press on the back with a hot steam iron (over thick towelling, of course!) does help tremendously, even whilst you are mid-project.

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. Brigitte Gant

I roll the material rather than scrunch, so less danger of creases. Also that way the underside is touching the skin of my hand, hence keeping dirtying to a minimum.

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. lindashanks25

Thanks all for your replies.

Posted 11 years ago #
  7. RozMinis
    Blocked

Hi I'm working on the etui as well. Actually I've finished it apart from sewing on the beads, not enough of them to complete the top, and the finishing off. I didn't expect there to be enough of the clear beads to complete both sides of the biscornu, I don't want mine to be attached to the base, so it needs beads on both sides. I supplied those myself, but was rather miffed to discover that there isn't even half as many of the coloured beads as there should be.

I also found the card had been folded into four, so despite measuring all ends up, I do not have enough card to complete the box. I was also short of the Oliver Twist thread, but got round that by using a single strand of a DMC thread.

I use a frame when sewing, I can't hold it in my hand for love or money, never been able to work that way. I'm also one of those strange beings who grids out the fabric before I start stitching. True it takes forever, but should I make a mistake, I can usually spot it very quickly.

Linen does tend to look a bit mangy, but freshens up well after a quick wash and press. I know there are some who say you shouldn't wash pieces, but I always wash mine regardless. I've never had a thread run yet, well not DMC anyway, I can't be held responsible for the Madeira and other threads supplied in the kit. Hmmm, I might just spray the pieces with water before pressing.

A final note............. as a card maker I know just how destructive double sided sticky tape can be after a couple of years. Please don't use it. Use a very thin layer of Pinflair bookbinding glue instead, and I mean a 'very thin' layer. A little goes a very long way.

I will now go back to oversewing all the edges of each of the pieces, linen does fray so. I should be able to make up the biscornu and needlecase, and also the matching watbow I made with the leftover odds and ends. Hopefully I will be able to find some suitable beads next week, if not I fear this 'thing' could end up as a very expensive UFO, that shouldn't be but for the missing beads and the unfolded card.

Posted 11 years ago #
  8. Jane N

Hi everyone, just a quick word of warning: whilst Anchor, DMC & Madeira threads are colourfast, Oliver Twist and Steff Francis threads ARE NOT! PLEASE be very careful, even if you're using a steam iron on your work, as it would be so disappointing after lovingly spending time stitching a project, only for some colour runs to affect the work at the final stage :-(

Posted 11 years ago #
  9. RozMinis
    Blocked

Than ye kindly for that advice. As I said in my previous post I usually give everything a quick wash, not washing machine wash, but hand wash. But not knowing about either of these threads, both included in the etui, I now know not to. :)

Posted 11 years ago #
  10. Janet Nicholl

Roz (and anyone else too)
    The CSG kits are usually very generous with thread and beads - in fact at classes Jane gets quite cross with us if we are trying to use right to the last inch of the thread, as we tend to sometimes rather than start a new length for those last 2 stitches!
    If you are short of a particular thread or beads please do send Jane a quick email with the details and I am sure she will pop some in the post to you.
    This is of course unless you have done a lot of extra work beyond the pattern of the kit when perhaps you might need to top up with your own supplies.
    If I am using Madeira thread (I admit to prefering DMC and having a full set) I use shorter lengths as the Madeira thread seems to fluff up and/or seperate more quickly than DMC.
    As for in hand or on a frame I am a person who likes my fabric taut on a frame and I have made fabric slips that go over the top and bottom rollers to protect the linen and if it is a big project I leave beads and extras until last and roll some fleece between the stitched portions of the design if I need to roll on further and loosen the frame as soon as I have finished stitching for the session. This is easy with my "Necessaire" stand and frames which I love!

Posted 11 years ago #
  11. Jean Strange

It depends what I am working on whether it is in my hand or on a frame. Small things I often work in my hand, larger projects on a frame like Janet I have a "Necessaire" stand and frames which are great. They are expensive but I think well worth the money.

Posted 11 years ago #
  12. ladykrose

Thanks for all the helpful hints on this post. I'm starting a new kit that I bought ages ago and it is my first evenweave project. I'm taking my time so it comes out well.

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.