The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Re-framing old silk embroidery and preventing moth damage

(3 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by Emma Lane
  • Latest reply from Emma Lane
  1. Emma Lane

I was lucky enough to win a lovely silk embroidery at an auction this weekend. It looks quite old (but it doesn’t matter if it isn’t really – I just like it). It is silk embroidery (satin stitch and some couched threads) on a silk background. It is framed but it looks like moth larvae have got in and in a few places there are some holes in the silk and there is some dust-like ‘stuff’. I realise I can’t repair the holes but I think I need to dust off the fabric and re-frame. I was thinking of putting a piece of matching colour fabric behind the work to disguise the little holes. I wonder how I stop moths getting in again and if there is anything else I need to be doing to try to prevent any further damage. Any advice would be gratefully received. I can send photos if it would be helpful.
    Thank you. All good wishes, Emma

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. margarita

Do you live anywhere near a museum which may have have someone who could give you advice?

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. Emma Lane

Thanks for your reply Margarita. I do; I live quite near to the Ashmolean. However I'm not convinced it's old enough for them to pay an interest and I don't want to spend too much money on it. But it's worth a try isn't it. I'll contact them. Thanks, Emma

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.