The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

32 count linen vs 28 count linen?

(7 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by Marie Stein
  • Latest reply from ladykrose
  1. Marie Stein

I've seen some designs that are to be done on 32 count linen. I'm currently working on my second linen project, which I'm working on 28 count linen, and wondered whether it's much more difficult to use the 32 count. Is it much more difficult, or, as I've found with the switch from Aida to Linen is it just a case of getting used to working with a slightly smaller fabric?

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hi Marie!

I think it's a personal thing - for example, I always prefer linen to Aida, but I generally stitch on 28-count linen. I have stitched on 32-count linen quite satisfactorily but where feasible I will substitute 28-count linen. On the other hand, it's not really much more difficult - definitely a case of just getting used to the finer count.

Good luck!

Christine

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. Brigitte Gant

I, too, love stitching on linen or Jobelain. At times I really want to stitch a design meant for a coaster or frame and the only way it fits is, it has do be stitched on a higher count. I am not ashamed to use my magnifying glass when stitching on 38 or 42 count.

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. Su Maddocks

28 count linen is certainly my material of choice and although I am happy to work on 32 count, if the pattern calls for it, I wouldn't want to do a large project on anything finer. Small dainty projects look better on a high count but as I have to now use my magnifier for 28 count and higher I'd think twice !I think preferences often come down to the limits of your own eye sight as, like Christine says, there is little difference in the actual methods. Happy stitching Su

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. Tina Lamborn

I recently moved from Aida to Linen, using 28count, and though it took a while would now not sew on anything else. I also have to wear glasses, and use the magnifier/light! Good luck Tina

Posted 11 years ago #
  6. Marie Stein

Thanks for your comments - I shall try the 32 count sometime, but for now will stick to the 28 count until I'm a bit more experienced.

Posted 11 years ago #
  7. ladykrose

I just opened a kit named "Millenium" I bought in 1999 (like the Stone Age) to discover it is 28 count evenweave. Huge surprise to me. It is dense with stitches and has a dozen or so smaller charts that are done with one strand over one thread for faces, hands, and other details. So I went looking for info on evenweave counted cross stitch and found this site. I'm happy to find this site and some other stitchers who are glad to help others. ;~))

My first step was to grid the fabric to make it a bit easier to work on. That has taken me over a week to do. Had to find some magnifier clip ons to help me see the fine weave of this fabric. Hopefully this will be a very rewarding stitching project for me by the time it is completed. I do have a scroll frame to use which should help with this project.

All my prior cross stitch experience is with Aida cloth. And, I've done other embroidery too off and on since I was a kid. This is a challenge because it is a new format for something I already know how to do. We'll see how I fare with the new medium of evenweave.

Posted 11 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.