The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

I stitch unintended additions

(13 posts)

No tags yet.

1. Tinouche24

Hi

Have just transferred a design I created on graph paper onto I stitch. No problems there, however when I go into stitch count it tells me the design is 182 x 142. I know it is 142 x 142. I have enlarged my stitching area looking for a rogue backstitch, cross stitch etc. Despite spending over an hour looking for it yesterday I still can't find it. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could have unintentionally added before I delete the design and redraw it.

Also my computer isn't connected directly to a printer. What is the best format to copy it onto a usb so I can print it elsewhere.
    Many thanks in anticipation.

Posted 11 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Suspect it must be an unintentional stitch somewhere. It may be easier to spot if you do get the chart printed out?

As for the second question, I presume the best format would depend on the printer you are intending to get it printed out on. But JPEG is generally a good bet (don't quote me on that!).

Posted 11 years ago #
  3. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

PS. Have just checked and there is a Print Preview option within the iStitch Print function which still works OK even when you don't have a printer attached - well it worked for me, anyway. You might want to try a Print Preview to see whether you can spot the rogue stitch that is throwing your stitch count out?

Posted 11 years ago #
  4. margarita

I don't know this program but on the program I use there is a facility to highlight or flash each of the colours. I have found this useful for finding rogue stitches particularly in a light colour.

Alternatively switching the view between crosses/symbols/blocks/blocks with symbol may help.

Posted 11 years ago #
  5. Tinouche24

I gave up in the end and am in the process of redrawing it, however I cannot get the eraser to work. What happens when you want to erase more stitches than the "right click" will allow. I have pressed on the eraser but nothing happens. Starting to get frustrated now thinking it was so much quicker with graph paper, pencil, colouring pencils and a rubber, I know it looks better on the computer but it is just taking me so long to get my head around the istitch.

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Can't understand what the problem is with your eraser, I've never found a limit to the number of stitches that I can "right-click" erase. As a last resort, you could always save at the point you've got to, close the program then open it again and carry on from where you left off.

Please, I beg of you, don't give up on iStitch - it really IS better than paper and pencils in the long run!

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Jane N

Like Christine, I've not found a limit to the number of stitches I can erase with the 'right click' facility. When you select the eraser, it doesn't show until you put the cursor back over the design, and then you should be able to hold down the 'left click' button and delete any stitches that fall under the cursor.
    As to locating rogue stitches, I've found that it's terribly easy for these stitches to appear accidentally, and quite often, they may be from colours & symbols unassigned in the palate so they're incredibly difficult to find just by looking. The best way I've found of eliminating them is to use the 'select area' tool to select & delete the whole of the top, sides & bottom borders around your design to clear anything unseen. If you then 'auto centre' it should allow you to confirm that you've sorted the rogue stitch problem.
    Hope this helps xxx

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

That sounds like very sensible advice, Jane!

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. Tinouche24

It is the back stitch that I am trying to erase. I am clicking on the eraser over the back stitch and nothing happens. It all needs to be erased as I plotted it 3 stitches out be error.

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Ah, deleting backstitch - now that's another matter!

For a start, you don't use the eraser. Here is the relevant information from iStitch Help:-
    "To delete backstitch simply draw another backstitch over an existing backstitch line using the same start and end points."

In practice, it can be quite difficult to know exactly what the start and end points of a line are. This may seem obvious, but if a straight line has been drawn as a number of segments then each segment has to be deleted individually and exactly. I find that the best way is to use a different colour to the backstitch being deleted and use a bit of "trial and error" - that is, if a line of backstitch just changes to the new colour then the correct start and/or end points haven't been found so click "undo" and try again with a different end point. It can get rather frustrating when what looks like one long line turns out to be half-a-dozen short lines stuck together :o(

It's a bit late now, but one answer might be to always draw lines in single-stitch segments rather than long lines and then you would know that each backstitch could be deleted stitch-by-stitch - a bit like unpicking it!

Posted 10 years ago #
  11. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Alternatively, if it is possible to draw a select box round the backstitch you want to delete, without including any stitches that you DON'T want to delete, then you can do that and press the delete button on the keyboard. But I'm guessing that the backstitch goes between other stitches? If it's on the absolute outside edge then you can select the empty square to one side of the backstitch, press delete and see what happens.

Good Luck!

Posted 10 years ago #
  12. Tinouche24

Thanks Christine - problem solved. I just need to print it off and stitch it now.

Posted 10 years ago #
  13. I bought IStitch at Swindon but haven't had a chance to load it yet! I am determined to learn hardanger! I'll keep you all posted with how I find the software. The current software I have is Jane's Stitch Perfect and I thought that was pretty good!! And to think I used to use graph paper and crayons!!!

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.