The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

French Trip

(35 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by junefromak
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone

Tags:

1. Hi Barbara, yes, I'll give him some names, but as often as not it's me that answers the phone!! We're in Hull (for our sins)!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. franfletcher

Hi everyone. I'm in agreement about the Arena tours, lovely as they sound. I would also be interested in your idea Barbara if Jane is unable to do anything (I used to work for a coach company and helped to organise tours )

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Hi again everyone,

Hubbie just back from abroad and I've been discussing the trip scenario with him. As an example for you he's just come back from Normandy (Villedieu-les-Poeles) five nights in the hotel and an overnight each way on the ferry with cabins, and including full buffet breakfast each morning and a four-course evening meal with wine and coffee (or tea) chucked in was £440, with a single supplement of £100 (singles are dependent on what the hotel has). We would need 16 people for it to be a viable proposition really, but we could take as many as 29. There is (in a village 15km away) a craft shop with a studio run by an English lady who would I'm sure be pleased to have us all in there for some fun and shopping, and there are lots of other nice things to do and see in Normandy.
    He's also happy to look at England for us, just let him know. If you want to message me direct Christine might (on receipt of the appropriate bribe) be prepared to release my email to selected members of the forum (I believe you call yourselves The Usual Suspects). Much love to all, Annie

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

Thanks for the info Annie. We'll have to talk things over and find out whether Jane is going to do a trip after all. Might be in contact with you soon.

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. No probs Barbara, was really just an illustration of what can be done with the contacts that Simon has.

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Barbara Stone

Ladies, many thanks for your confidence in me, assuming I could arrange a trip, if I were going to. Everything seems to have snowballed from a simple remark. As I told a few people on Saturday at Swindon, all I was going to do was arrange a simple trip for a very few people (and they know who they are). I thought that people had understood that. However, everything came to a head yesterday when I received a phonecall at work on my mobile, (and not a lot of people have got that number). It was from a lady who I've never heard of before, and she told me that although she's not a member of the guild yet, she's heard I'm organising a trip and wanted me to put her name on the waiting list!! I did explain that I wasn't going to be doing so, and gave her Janes name and number to contact, So, please ladies, I'm not going to organise a holiday for a coach load, but I just hope we'll all be able to go on another one with Auntie Jane and I'll be able to see you all on the coach. So sorry if everybody has got the wrong idea about my intentions.

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Janet Nicholl

Hi Barbara
    Unfortunately that is the problem with a public forum when chats amongst us regulars can be viewed by all.
    However, whoever gave out your private mobile number was seriously out of order! I would NEVER pass on a phone number or email address if requested, certainly not by someone I didn't know. I always go the other way - eg: give you the contact number or email of the person asking so that you can contact IF you want to.
    Hope you don't suffer any more consequences from this thread.
    XX Janet

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. Barbara Stone

So do I. Especially as I got the call while I was at work, and the surgeons don't take kindly to phones ringing in theatres, unless of course they are theirs. Like you, I don't pass on mobile numbers especially to people who I don't know. If I find out who it was who gave it out, a friendship might be ending!!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. Ann S

Oh Barbara, I'm so sorry to hear that your jokey little remark resulted in this. I'm not the guilty one, couldn't be since the only way I know how to contact you is through this forum, but wouldn't have given out a number had I known it. It must have been so embarrassing for you! I can just imagine how I would have reacted had it happened to me when I was working - fire and brimstone come to mind.

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. Jean Strange

Barbara I can't believe someone would give out your mobile number!!
    I got annoyed when I got calls on mine from people during negotiations for my "retirement" regarding my long term sick leave from Occupational Health. School must have given it to them, but like you I only give it to certain people.
    We think one of the official organisations I gave my number to have sold their list of numbers as I occasionally get calls from organisations I have never heeard of. I ask them where they got the number and say I only give it to certain people and organisations. One person told me the area the company/person who gave my number was located in and my husband thinks it could be MBNA who I no longer deal with.
    I also got one person who when I said this apologised very politely and rang off!!! He must be as they say the exception that proves the rule.
    Like Janet I would ask for their details and pass them to the person concerned and let them decide.
    In fact I had an experience like that this week a man rang up looking for Jeff, house phone, (someone he worked with years ago) he actually told me why he wanted to contact him and said "Can I give you my details? Would you pass them on and he can contact me if he wants" Much the best way.

Posted 10 years ago #
  11. Barbara Stone

I was so gobsmacked that I forgot to ask her how she got my mobile number, but I'm hoping now that this whole little episode can pass, and we can all be friends again in forum land. I did see the funny side of the whole thing when the shock had worn off, but it was an interesting experience!

Posted 10 years ago #
  12. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Barbara, I am speechless with horror that such a thing could happen to you - especially at work!
    I can't believe that anyone with any sense at all would pass on your mobile phone number like that...

Posted 10 years ago #
  13. Barbara Stone

All has been sorted out! I had two more phone calls requesting info about this supposed holiday, so this time I asked them how they had got my number. I was then given another number to phone, which I got my other half to do, and he blew his stack at them, and found out that the assistant, who was dyslexic, had been reading the last two numbers of the phone number he was meant to be giving out as 66, which is mine, instead of 99, which isn't! Duh!!! So I think there is now somebody who will be looking for another job. So it wasn't anybody from the guild (which I didn't think it would be) but at least I've had an answer. Hopefully that will now be the end of this horrible saga, because he reckons that he's only given that number to three people, all of whom had phoned me. I've had profuse apologies and the promise of a cheque to come, to apologise further. It was just a horrible coincidence that it happened when it did. Thankyou for all your kind thoughts at this time, and I'm glad I managed to find out how it all happened.

Posted 10 years ago #
  14. Ann S

What a relief to know that this unfortunate matter was not caused by anyone in the Guild or on this forum - that's that nasty taste dealt with!!
    We're off on Saturday for three weeks holiday in Cornwall - no mobile signal, and no wi-fi (therefore bliss in my opinion). When I next look in on this forum I hope to find everyone has been enjoying a happy and uneventful time!! Bye for now...

Posted 10 years ago #
  15. Barbara Stone

Have a nice time.

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.