The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Cross stitch and beads. Help

(7 posts)
  1. spudger

For the first time I'm trying to incorporate Mill Hill glass beads into a project. They are to represent stars one bead one star. They are placed randomly on dark perforated paper in an area with no other stitching. How do I secure the beads without running thread from one bead to another. The thread shows up through the perforations. There is plenty of information about beading on the internet which deals with groups of beads but nothing I can find applicable to my problem. I hope some member can provide a solution.

Thank you in anticipation

John

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. Nicola Fisher

Hi John

I can't say I've ever had to attach single beads where I couldn't carry the thread across the back of the work, but the only solution I can think of is maybe to pass the thread through the bead a couple of times (if possible) when attaching it - this would then give you a loop on the back of the work to secure the thread in when finishing off...........

I hope this helps!

Nicola

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Tinouche24

For individual beads randomly placed, I would leave a tail of thread, stitch the bead on securely i.e. pass the thread through the bead a couple of times (and then do the thing we are all told not to do) and tie a knot and cut away the remaining thread. I also do the same for random single stitches when working on light fabric with dark thread. I know this isn't the ideal but it does make life easier. Hope that helps.

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. junefromak

5. junefromak

I'm so sorry. That doesn't work. Try this from Funk and Weber Designs.
    http://www.funkandweber.com/starting-thread-with-a-pinhead-stitch/
    June

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. junefromak

I'm so sorry. That doesn't work. Try this from Funk and Weber Designs.
    http://www.funkandweber.com/starting-thread-with-a-pinhead-stitch/
    June

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Hello John - Now you've set us a poser! Can't say I've come across this question before. All I can think to do though is to sew on the beads with a white thread, carrying acoss the perforations from star to star and then put some iron on interfacing on the back of the perforated paper. This will still show some white iron on interfacing but will at least show through every hole of the paper, which hopefully would give it a uniformity and will sort of mask the carried across thread. Alternatively why not do some silver cross stitches on the squares round the square where the bead is to be placed - that will give you four thread stitches to use to feed in the thread and out again for the bead.

Whatever you do eventually end up with please do another posting for us - I'm sure we will all be interested to see how you solve the problem. Brenda

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. spudger

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful advice. You've certainly given me some alternatives.

Brenda's suggestion has give me an idea of backing with paper the same colour as the perforated paper. I would then stitch through the perforations and backing and go from bead to bead without the thread showing through the perforations. No sure if I've explained that clearly. All revolves round getting the exact colour match between the two papers.

I'll certainly post again when I've completed the project.

Thanks again for you advice

John

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.