The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Ackworth

(9 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from Su Maddocks

No tags yet.

1. Only just had chance to catch up with myself after getting home from Leeds. I'm sure all concerned will agree we had a brilliant visit to Ackworth and once again - as I also found at the George Muller orphanage in Bristol a few years ago looking at samplers there - it was a very moving experience.

What was also incredible is the very close access we were given to study these samplers in detail - such good lighting,no glass over the exhibits and although exhorted not to touch anything (which I'm sure we all obeyed implicitly), we all felt compelled to hover a finger just a quarter of an inch above the fabric as we pointed out details of the work to each other. The very thought that you were so close, so very close, to something held by someone else's hand over 200 years ago, was awesome.

Tagged on to that was the wonderful lunch served to us and the warmth of the welcome we received. For those of you not able to be there - you missed a treat.

How very lucky we are that in Jane we have someone who is both willing and able to search out these treasures for us.

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Hear, hear!
    It was a brilliant weekend, and getting so close to the samplers was a great treat.
    And the lunch wasn't bad, either :o)

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Rita Barron

I had to write and agree with you both! A fabulous weekend and a real treat to visit Ackworth which will stay with me for a long time. I too was moved not only by the wonderful samplers but also the history of the people who created them. A very interesting place and a wonderful welcome and yes a lovely lunch too!

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Pam D

I agree, I am sure tnat we will remember our favourite samplers for years to come and stitching in the Library was memorable.

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. Janet L

I really enjoyed the whole weekend and think it must have been one of the best yet that I have been at. Almost as good as the Scottish weekend! (no bias honest) The samplers were incredible and to think those girls stitched them in their own time ie not as part of lessons is amazing.

Enjoyed the projects and some of the "bring and brag" items were stunning.

Keep up the good work gals!

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Brigitte Gant

I am really fed up that I could not go to this one as I wanted to Ackworth. Maybe next time. However, I am glad that you all had a brill time.

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Do you know I thought I made a comment on this, but obviously not

It was a wonderful day at Ackworth. I had no idea that such a treasure was on my doorstep. Not just the samplers, but the school & village as well.

I was lovely to be able to gatecrash & see so many of you

Helen

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. Rita Barron

It was lovely to catch up with you too Helen also everyone else! I probably won't manage another weekend until after next May due to work. That is unless my lottery numbers come up in the meantime and I can retire early!
    Just finished the projects from the weekend. They look good although I have altered a bit. I changed the wording and have done them all in red instead of different colours. A nice momento of a lovely time!
    Rita

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. Su Maddocks

I loved my trip to Leeds - Ackworth was amazing and not to be missed - but for me it was being able to put faces to names - I have laughed so often at the writings of Brenda (Midgley) and can now picture her as I read - it was great to meet Rita and Andrea and to catch up again with Christine and my amazing pal Pam took me to Hardwick Hall on the way - it was all just fabulous x

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.