The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Festival of Quilts

(13 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by brenda midgley
  • Latest reply from brenda midgley

No tags yet.

1. I am feeling rather cross about the ticketing arrangements for Festival of Quilts at the NEC in August.

Having been on the website last week to organise an advance entry ticket for myself I found - even on a debit card - that I would be incurring an extra 95p on the price of the ticket; my 'saving' therefore being only £1.05 as against buying a concession ticket on the day. I, therefore, decided that I would send a cheque and the form at the back of the F. of Q. leaflet. Otherwise, my thinking was that it was hardly worth the saving to buy an advance ticket.

This morning I've had a call from their office to say that I owe them 95p. 'What for' I enquired. 'It's a booking fee' was the reply. 'What, even on a cheque' 'Yes' she said 'it tells you on the form in the small print that you have to pay it'

So the moral is - an advance booking ticket isn't really worth the myther of organising it; so if there are any of you out there who plan on going, please just try to get together and do one booking - then at least you will only be paying the 95p just once.

I am really peeved about this. I know it goes on in the world of entertainment with people wanting to see their favourite pop group or whatever - but a Quilting Show! I ask you.

This comes under the umbrella of Twisted Thread so I shall no doubt come up against the same situation when we get to Ally Pally time.

I feel it's a bit of 'sharp practice' and I am very annoyed. It takes a lot for me to chuck teddies out of the pram, but I well have today! It's not the money it's the principle.

I asked her if I am the only person who's applied by cheque and now still owes 95p, to which she said no. That means, therefore, - and she confirmed my way of thinking - she's phoning all round the b---y country asking women for an extra 95p. I rest my case on the absurdity and greediness of it all.

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. Barbara Stone

Our quilt shop found out about the 95p charge, and have told everybody who told them that they were going, not to pay it. They've organised tickets for everybody, even if they're not travelling on the coach organised by the shop to go to it, which has entailed a lot more work for them, but has saved everybody money. I quite agree Brenda, its a blooming cheek, and just an excuse to get more money out of people who try and get an advanced ticket to save the problem of queuing on the day. Incidentally, what day are you going? Our coach is going on the Thursday, so if its then, I might see you at the show. And its my turn to buy you the coffee this time.

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Barbara! - hello darling, might have known I'd get some back up from you on this annoying pricing policy. My little Bristolian blonde bombshell - you've annointed me with soothing words and I feel better.

I must say that after having a rant on the forum yesterday I was all fired up with energy and I thought - as you do - well, I'm not letting all this go to waste so I got a mop bucket out and filled it with hot water/disinfectant/bleach and went outside. As a result the wheelie bin got mopped out, the window ledges got wiped down, all four steps got scrubbed and the drains had the dregs of leftover water. Calm was restored in the Midgley household and I felt that I had at least turned something negative into something positive.

In answer to your question I had intended going to the show on the Thursday and - and you can all howl with laughter at this, - I shall buy my ticket on the day. Yes, I know I shall be cutting off my nose to spite my face and will, therefore, be paying full whack; but it gave me intense satisfaction yesterday (albeit, I hold my hand up, very childish of me, to tell the lady where she could put her ticket and I would like them to send my cheque back please. It'll cost 'em the postage and serve 'em right!

I had only the one leaflet so I couldn't check the small print on the order form to see what it said about the extra 95p. Had it been that they were making it a policy that for every ticket they sold they added on another £1 to go to a charity I would've willingly coughed up, but no - it probably goes into 'administration' or something - well, er - I would've thought that was incorporated in the ticket costing anyway.

Flipping 'eck Barbara - I'm getting all fired up again! - time to stop, haven't got time this afternoon to go outside and do any more much-needed jobs!

May see you at the show then; I'll keep my eyes open for you but don't worry if it doesn't happen, your actual attendance time at the show is probably quite short I should think with a coach ride before and after. Love Brenda X

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Barbara Stone

Cor, weren't you good with the hot soapy water yesterday. If you come and visit, can I get you annoyed so you can do my housework as well? Our coach normally gets there just after 10.30 and we leave about 4.00 ish, so I should have some extra time after I've gone on a shopping rampage. I'm determined to be good this year, and not spend lots, but my willpower is sadly lacking in that direction. So, I'll hopefully see you there, and in the meantime, try not to let the blood pressure rocket upwards, with disgust at the extra payment. Love B. XX

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. So sorry you had this problem. It happened to me a while ago at the March show at the NEC. They phoned me to say I owed them 95p and I was well a little short with the woman on the phone. I told her it was costing her to call me to tell me and she said I wasn't the only one. She also tried to tell me I had to pay 95p on both tickets I had ordered - the cheek of it but I wonder how many fell for that and paid however many 95p's if they had ordered more than one ticket. Told her to cancel it and send me my cheque back which they did. I never bother ordering them in advance now doesn't seem much point so I always purchase on the day. Besides we can get there early, so get a good parking spot, get our ticket and sit down with a coffee and thrive on the atmsophere as we ponder the day ahead!

Michelle x

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Hello All! - back on the website after a few weeks of not being 'available' (other stuff going on at home).

I shall blame Michelle for bringing up this 'thread' again, as it was me who started it about a month ago. Flippin''eck - I do go on a bit don't I - sorry about that.

Anyway, just to report - I went to the Festival yesterday and had a brilliant day. Bought quite a lot of fabric (what the hell am I going to make with it all? - dunno, but it was just so lovely I couldn't walk away.) Never saw you Barbara although I kept an eye open - no doubt you too had a lovely time though.

Found the Oliver Twist stall so bought some of their hand dyed felt in a burgundy colour (so's I can use it to tie in with our Leicester project). Also found the Stef Francis stall so bought some of their lovely silk variegated thread. All just so delicious.

Big sigh as I got on the train to come home again, but never mind - there's Ally Pally to look forward to as well now. Had the bumph through for that so must go on the website and look up the classes to see what takes my fancy. Maybe I shall bump into Brigitte again there - this happened a couple of years ago - we stood chopsing as you do when we inadvertently meet up - and then found we were booked into the same workshop! - so we chopsed all the way through that as well. I've never yet worn that b---y necklace though Brigitte have you?

Mind you, you can get carried away at these shows. I know three girls who - like me - felt they would die if they went home without one of those sari things that that woman sells on her stall. You know the woman I mean - she stands there wrapping this flipping thing round her in all directions and looks really good. I got home and tried to emulate her with the one I bought and looked like a sack of potatoes in mine. I've come to the conclusion you need a good sized womanly bust for these things to look great, but sadly with my 'front furniture' I only resemble Olive Oyl. Ah well, can't have it all ways. Maybe Olive Oyl can't do french knots.

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Rita Barron

Just had to write and say how much I have enjoyed reading this thread! Brenda you are a tonic you make me laugh and really cheer me up!! Sadly I have not been to any of these shows as working and living up in the far north of the country both get in the way! Perhaps one day when I retire? They sound like good fun although advanced ticket purchase sounds a bit of a con so I'll watch out for that !
    On the 'front furniture' topic I too am lacking but console myself with the thought that at least they won't droop in old age unlike my stomach which seems to be favouring that tendency?!! I doubt Olive Oyl has ever heard of French knots so we're definitely ahead there!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. SallyH

Unfortunately I've not yet managed to get to the FOQ but my daughter has booked for us both to go to Ally Pally on the Thursday so maybe we will meet up there Brenda. So pleased you had a good day. It sounds as though it was a great show. If I don't see you there we will probably catch up at Leicester.

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. Barbara Stone

Back to the 95p charge on credit cards - got the bumf about Ally Pally, and again, they are charging 95p for pre-booking tickets. As you only save about £1.50 per ticket by pre-booking, and you then have to pay 95p, it doesn't seem worth booking in advance does it?
    Glad you had a nice time at the show Brenda. I did look out for you, but I thought you were hiding from me. Spent a lot, but don't seem to have bought much, but certainly enjoyed myself. Roll on Ally Pally, when I shall buy tickets on the day.

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. Jean Strange

When I go to Ally Pally with Fiona and other friends we book a "trip" with a local coach company which includes tickets. We find this very good value.
    Mind you talking about charges my son-in-law drives a car which is registered to my husband. When meeting his ex-wife to collect his daughter he overstayed the 2 hour parking at a service station. This was because the ex-wife had a problem with her car and he stayed with her until the breakdown people arrived. My husband got a parking ticket issued £50 if respond within 14 days £90 if within 28 days. My husband phoned explained position, asked to send e-mail told response would be up to 10 days. He got a reply within 24 hours all charges dropped!! There are some good guys out there!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  11. Interesting to read your story on the car parking Jean! - Now what I want to know is - when your husband rang did he speak to a man or a woman. I often think that when you have a situation like this you get a better response if you speak to someone of the opposite sex. Don't know why this is, but maybe our approach to someone of the opposite sex is different from the very beginning and then they respond in a more positive way as well.

Ah - the problems of the universe - just ask Mrs. Midgley if you need assistance.....
    (it didn't work for me if you recall when I spoke to a WOMAN about that flipping 95p booking fee!)

Oh - I can hear you all groaning - 'she's going on about that again'!.......

Posted 10 years ago #
  12. Jean Strange

Don't know if it was a man or woman Jeff spoke to Brenda but it was actually the slightly cheeky e-mail that did the trick and have no way of knowing if it was a man or woman who dealt with it. He just stated that we know he overstayed but it was beacuase he was being a good guy looking after his ex-wife and he hoped they would be good guys too. They had CCTV pictures of arrival and departure of car so I bet they had CCTV of RAC or whoever arriving too so knew we were not making up a story. It just proves that it is worth trying sometimes!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  13. Hello Jean - yup - absolutely worth trying, so well done to Jeff!

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.