(20 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by Christine Berrett
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone

No tags yet.

1. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

...is everyone on holiday?

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. I've been on holiday to Italy. Then had my mother in hospital after a fall and now got her in a care home. Plus it is school hols so on Grandma duty on and off. Today however meeting friend Pauline for lunch (those who were in France will have met her) and later I am determined to stitch. Where does the time go! Next thing you know it will be Ally Pally and then Leicester, also hope to get up to Harrogate if I stay with friends. Then the C thing, won't say the word.

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Brigitte Gant

I seem to be chasing myself these days, so not online a lot. Also trying to get organized for going to Germany on Sunday to see my Mum for a week. I bet when I get back there will be mince pies in the shops. Time races more than ever.

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Had good lunch with Pauline, went to a garden centre near her, always good lunch places to go. Forgot to mention earlier that I also had a long weekend with friends in Lincs at the end of July and have discovered a newish craft place near Grantham. Stitchcraft. If you are a patchworker it is to die for but they also haves lots of beautiful threads, also do many workshops. We got there in time for coffee in their little cafe and stayed for ages and had lunch! Have a safe trip Brigitte. It makes my trips back and forth from Kent to Essex seem a doddle

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. Barbara Stone

No, just not had very much to say, but I was wondering the same thing myself. Looking forward to Festival of Quilts tomorrow, and then I'll only have to work 7 more days before I become a lady of leisure. Bet I don't get more sewing done though. Hope everybody is well, and look forward to seeing everybody at Leicester. (or Ally Pally)

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Ann S

I've also been thinking how quiet this forum has been - I look in every day but do nothing to disturb the peace. Been at home since mid June and here until 2nd September when I'm off on the New Stitches holiday to eastern Germany and the Czech Republic for two weeks. I'll look out for a certain couple and will try to think of a discreet way to let you all know what transpires, without, of course, being too tactless. (Those of you who were on Jane's trip to northern France in April will know what I'm on about)
    Been very busy trying to reduce my disgustingly large pile of UFOs, with some success, but still some way to go. Couldn't stitch a lot during the July heatwave but made a quilt top for a 'quillow' for a grandson and also worked hard on a hand pieced quilt designed by a friend who is a textile artist; she set up a sewing group at her church and somehow, thanks to a mutual friend, I got involved and have been used by the artist/ designer as her 'technician' as most of the other members were new to patchwork and quilting. The quilt is to be raffled at the church autumn fair; proceeds to go to the church and to a local charity for people affected by head injuries. It's been a lot of hard work and, since I usually machine piece and quilt, it's been educational for me as well.
    Barbara retiring? Nowhere near old enough!! I'm going to FOQ on Sunday and will also go to Ally Pally on the Friday.
    Have a lovely trip to see your Mum, Brigitte.

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. parddu

The strawberry sampler book sailed down the Danube with me recently. It didn't help that one of the needles broke nor that having altered the cover and first page from English to Welsh and put the alterations on to graph paper the graph paper vanished without trace so I redid the title on a bit of the chart of the back cover in the magazine!!
    I did the strawberry alphabet on iStitch after I came home and the strawberry cottage alterations are ready for printing. I can say with perfect confidence that parts of this book will bear absolutely no resemblance to the original.

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. Barbara Stone

Ann, what a lovely thing to say, thank you so much. Unfortunately I'm fast approaching the age, so decided to go and have some 'me' time. Have a lovely time at the FOQ. Just take out a second mortgage before you go, they've got some lovely stuff there. Enjoy yourself.

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. Ann S

I meant it, Barbara!!
    I retired early (when my daughter had her first baby and I fell in with him) and have never regretted it - hope you enjoy your 'me' time as much as I am.

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. Jean Strange

Hi Barbara
    I took early retirement last December it is great but as you say not sure how much extra sewing etc gets done ( well it does if you ignore other tidying etc. chores). Just glad to be out of the bullying stressed cycle thank you. Got new grandson in Nov last year but unfortunately my daughter and family live about 5 hours drive from us so don't see much of him.

Posted 10 years ago #
  11. Rachel H

I'm not on holiday!! Husband going into hosp tomorrow for knee replacement operation; followed by 6-8 weeks of recuperation! Think of all the stitching I can do! yeah right!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  12. Su Maddocks

Hi Christine - glad you got the "chatter" ball rolling again - I too escaped the NHS early to care for my husband who sadly died six weeks later and despite all the UFOs and new projects I was, and still am, itching to attack, retirement drove me mad so I went back to work part time as a waitress in a Tearooms - now that's somewhere you can people watch and have a laugh (or despair !)But, like many others before me, the gals from the CSG have provided me with support and amazing friendship and have lifted my soul plus joined me in complete insanity - love ya !

Posted 10 years ago #
  13. Barbara Stone

I'm glad to be escaping the NHS - we've started looking at houses to move to, now that I've finally handed in my notice, and although I'll miss the companionship of everybody at work, I won't miss the hassle that has gone with everything lately. However, as I said, we're looking at houses, so I've got to pack up things, and that will include most of the sewing stuff, in order to tidy the house sufficiently to put it on the market.
    Rachael - hope your husbands knee replacement goes okay. Good luck looking after him during his recuperation.

Posted 10 years ago #
  14. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

If you need to tidy stuff away temporarily - like, for example, if someone is coming round to view the house, or you are having a guest for the weekend - then the boot of the car is a handy place to hide quite a bit of stitching gubbins...

Posted 10 years ago #
  15. Barbara Stone

What a good idea!! I rent a garage anyway, so Bob and I decided we would have to move my car out, and put stuff from the house in there, so the house looks tidy, but I never thought about using the boot of the car. Thanks for that.

Posted 10 years ago #
  16. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Barbara, I had to act on my own advice this afternoon (ironic, or wot) when the nice garage door man turned up and wanted to store the new garage door overnight in the garage!
    There was a hasty reorganisation of the rubbish in the garage to make space, and I had to turf a load of stuff out into my car boot...

Posted 10 years ago #
  17. Barbara Stone

He He He!!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  18. We've had a very busy summer
    Been away nearly every weekend with the bike
    Still got a few weekends to do, but it should calm down now
    Flowery Mead has become a well travelled project & has not always spent the weekend in the bag!!

Barbara, are you a "lady of leisure" now?

Helen

Posted 10 years ago #
  19. Auntie Beryl

Barbara may think she is a "Lady of Leisure" but by Christmas she will wonder how she ever had time to go to work !! Happy retirement , Barbara .

Posted 10 years ago #
  20. Barbara Stone

Had final day at work yesterday, and walked out in tears at 5.00pm. Odd that, cos I wanted to leave!! So today we've been at the Dorset steam fair all day (oh my tired feet!) and tomorrow we're looking at 4 houses, before having my leaving meal with girls from work in the evening. So already I haven't got time to stitch. Thanks for all the good wishes girls. See you all at Leicester!

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.