The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

Ah, me hearties!

(19 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by Jane N
  • Latest reply from brenda midgley

No tags yet.

1. Jane N

Ahoy there, me hearties! Shiver me timbers, but 'tis that day of the year when all good scurvey naves celebrate that great shipmate, Long John Silver, aha! For all you lilly-livered landlubbers who don't know, 'tis International Talk Like A Pirate Day, so I say to ye, splice the mainbrace, raise a tot of rum to Robert Newton and shout "Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, ....... Jim Lad!"

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Oh dear, she's been at the grog again...

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Brigitte Gant

I dare to agree, Christine. I am glad I can speak English which can be understood. Just can't do any impressions or dialects (not in German either).

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Jane N

Hey ho, just thought I'd post something a little light-hearted but perhaps I shouldn't have bothered :-( People who really know me know that I'm teetotal but in case some think I've completely flipped, just google "International Talk Like A Pirate Day" and you'll see there are people who like a bit of silliness and whimsy. "The rest is silence."

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. Ann S

Don't be upset, Jane - I thought it was funny!!

BTW, got back Monday evening from the New Stitches holiday: it was super and relaxing, no trouble makers/moaners on the tour. Apparently the idea of the shuttle was unattractive.

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

I thought it was very amusing - especially as I know that Jane doesn't drink!

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Jean Strange

I thought it was funny and remembered a conversation whilst going round Hardwick Hall last year about Pirates of the Carribean and costumes. How many layers etc. and something about what you could and could not do wearing them especially in the loo!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. Never mind Jane, I have a friend who works on the SS Great Britain in Bristol & thinks she's a real priate - must be something in the water down there

Jean, I'm glad I wasn't party to that conversation (I think) it was hard enough trying to get Pat G not to tip Anne W out of her wheel chair

Mick has lots of pirate jokes - what is a pirates' favourite shop? when you figure that out the rest are just as bad !!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. I remember that conversation at Hardwick - I think no knickers was the order of the day otherwise it was pointless trying to go near the loo. Also remember four of us with Anne's wheelchair, one on each corner! What a good day it was.

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. annew

With you lot "helping" and Pat practising wheelies I am still in shock.
    Yes, a really good day xxx

Posted 10 years ago #
  11. Brigitte Gant

No, Jane, you misunderstood. I just joined Christine's comment as it was so funny because it definitely would NOT have been the grog.

Posted 10 years ago #
  12. Barbara Stone

Tried talking like a pirate to my brother while we were laying a floor - he gave me a pitying look, and told me to hand him the mallet!!! I knew when I was beaten and gave up after that! And anyway, after that I was too tired to think about it again.
    Top Tip!!! Never volunteer to help your brother lay a wood floor for your mother which took two days and then assist your husband to re-roof the shed in her garden which took another day and a half. After all that I'm too tired to stitch.
    Incidentally Jane, I thought it was funny.

Posted 10 years ago #
  13. Brigitte Gant

Oh, Babara, your account of helping with DIY brings back some memories when I was the permanent assistant to whatever job there was. I can understand so well that you are now too tired to stitch. I think I managed a Christmas card for my parents and teeny tiny ones for the grandchildren during that time, best part of 10 months. Also, don't your hands get rough so the thread sticks? Put your feet up now and rub a lot ofcream on your hands.

Posted 10 years ago #
  14. Oooooh how lovely! - you've all been having a bit of silliness while I've been away at the weekend playing chuffer trains.

Love the idea of a Pirate's Day; although I usually have a variation of it when at the RSPCA as very often when cleaning out a moggie's pen (specially the kittens) they like to jump up on your shoulder - I normally say to them Aaaha Jim Lad (and they understand every word of course). Difficult bit comes when you want to put them down, tying yourself in knots to reach them and then they dig their claws in 'cos they like it where they are - God,just so painful.

A useful tip for the rough hands bit. I use a product called St. Ives Apricot Scrub (comes in a small tube) It's meant for the face really but I don't buy it for that. It's one of these cream wash things with lots of little bits in it which I find really buffs up and takes off the dry skin. After rinsing it off of course you just dry well and rub in whatever your favourite hand cream is. I really hate it when you have threads catching round your finger ends and between your fingers generally. So there, you read it here first.

Feel a bit mean now. I've gorn and put something sensible in and interrupted the silliness.

Posted 10 years ago #
  15. Barbara Stone

Brenda, when my Tashacat jumped onto my shoulder, as she did fairly often when she was younger, she would say "Pieces of fish", instead of "Pieces of Eight". And of course they understand every word you say. They don't do what you want them to do, mind you, but they do understand.
    And although I do try and take care of my hands, cos I use lots of handcream, I did have a bit of foresight, and used large rubberized gloves, when re-building the shed. With large lumps of rotten wood flying around, I wasn't going to take any chances!
    Just thought I'd get back to a bit of silliness!!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  16. Absolutely agree on getting back to the bit of silliness!

Ah - so you have an awareness of the puss-cat psyche Barbara - you've said it all in one sentence 'they don't do what you want them to do, mind you, but they do understand'
    Yes, sums up a moggie completely. As anyone knows who is a moggie lover - you are there for their benefit, not the other way round!

Back at the RSPCA in the morning. Eager to see the two new strays that came in last week - young and in a bit of a state 'cos they'd been dumped. Someone at the RSPCA must be watching all the detective things on the telly as these two have been given the names of Scott and Bailey (yes we have silliness at the RSPCA too!) We also have a Vera - she's okay now but came in peppered with shotgun pellets. Can't understand how people can be so cruel. Not the first time we've had a case like that.

Don't think we have a Jim at the moment - I'll suggest it to our Joyce (cattery manager) in the morning in the event we get a boy puss come in, to commemorate Pirate's Day! Joyce is daft enough to agree to it.

Posted 10 years ago #
  17. Rachel H

Johhny Depp's parents live near me!! Does that qualify me for anything I wonder?!!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  18. Barbara Stone

Funny story about Johnny Depp coming up. My friend who knows lots of people from Star Trek conventions (don't ask) but can't always remember peoples names, was walking down Oxford Street a few months ago, when she saw a man she recognised walking towards her, so she smiles, stops and starts chatting with him, asking how he was and what he was doing nowadays. She said they chatted for a few minutes, then she said goodbye and walked away. It was only when she'd gone about 100 yards further on, that she suddenly realised that she'd been talking to. Yes, you've guessed it - Johnny Depp! Lucky woman.

Posted 10 years ago #
  19. Hello Rachel - Yup - you qualify - for the thumbs down award as you can't spell Johnny. Just read Barbara's entry - now she's got 10 out of 10 for it.....

Hope you still intend coming to Leicester - you can thump me one then. Love Brenda

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.