The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

2014 2014 2014!!!

(46 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by Rachel H
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone

No tags yet.

1. Rachel H

I'm booked in for Swindon! So is my partner in crime for Leicester "mad max midgley"

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. Rachel H

Sorry meant partner in crime FROM Leicester!

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. Rachel H

Nancy-with-the-lovely-hair - are you coming to any weekends next year?

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Carol

Wow I am booked on the Swindon weekend, a lovely Christmas surprise, look forward to making new friends.

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. That's a lovely present to get for Christmas
    Look forward to seeing you there

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Rachel H

I'm booked for Swindon and Leicester! Staying the Sunday night on both! Don't like driving in the dark from Leicester and Swindon is too far away to start driving at 5 pm.... Oh yes it is!!! Look forward to seeing everyone again!

Midgers: where are you?!!

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Jean Strange

Booked in for Swindon too. Living in Bristol as I did until I got married have visited The American Museum a number of times and I always loved it. The quilts were amazing. Hope to see some old friends at the weekend.

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. Whadja want Mrs. Harman? - I'm here but have been messing around and not come onto the Forum for a bit.

Like you, however,I do feel really sorry for those caught up with floods and loss of power. Here in Crewe we haven't had anything of note really. You hesitate to say it 'cos it sounds like you are crowing at your own good fortune.

Have had my head down working on my version of the Ackworth Sampler - and am really chuffed with how it's turned out. I shall be bringing it with me to Swindon so you can all admire it. I've turned it into a sort of open box and was able to have a final fiddle with it yesterday afternoon because we had our security alarm chap here. The system's been playing up and he banished me to the kitchen whilst he and Geoff tested sensors 'n' stuff. Well, what would you do if you were confined to the kitchen? I made the obligatory cup of tea and then got the stitching out. This is not a household in which, in such situations, the baking tins come out instead. The thought of rubbing all that flour and fat together just gives me the shudders........

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. Rachel H

What happens when you rub flour and fat together? Does it turn into a cake or cupcake (which is the modern thing, is it not?) I've never been one for cooking, try as I might. I can do it, don't get me wrong, but there are usually too many other things to do (eg stitching, stitching, stitching, playing games on my ipad). I have to admit stitching has been low priority with the unwell husband, who is now MUCH better and on the mend; but gosh they need a lot of attention don't they!!

Onward and upward girlies! I'm ready for April (once I find the compass, the thermos and the blanket - well, you never know do you!!).

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. Oh Rachel - I can see cookery lessons at school were wasted on you too or you would remember that rubbing fat into flour ends up with crumb-ly things. Mind you, I'm married to a crumb-ly thing - dunno who rubbed him together..........

Posted 10 years ago #
  11. Rachel H

I didn't do cookery at the convent! Nor sewing! I did Latin instead which has helped me with crosswords but not with domestic chores! Shouting amo, amas, amat at the cooker never worked for me! Finishing the Telegraph crossword always seemed more satisfactory than baking a scone!

Posted 10 years ago #
  12. Barbara Stone

Rachel, I now have a mental picture of you standing in front of the cooker, yelling Latin verbs at it!!! I'm sitting here chuckling at that image.

Posted 10 years ago #
  13. Barbara Stone

Rachel, I now have a mental picture of you standing in front of the cooker, yelling Latin verbs at it!!! I'm sitting here chuckling at that image.

Posted 10 years ago #
  14. Oooh clever you Barbara - you've come up in tandem!

I still can't get my head round the fact they even accepted her into a convent, let alone tried to teach her Latin. I only learnt a bit of Anglo-Saxon myself, mind you I don't think they would have ever accepted me into a convent. Even the Girl Guides kicked me out after a bit.

Now how comes Mrs. Stone that you've found time to come onto the forum amongst all the 'oh no he isn't - oh yes he is' bits of the pantomime. Has it finished now or have they just given you Friday afternoon off?

Perhaps you've got nothing else to do - I should imagine the allotment is out of bounds at the moment - can't have you going toddling off there only to sink down in the mud to your little blond bob.

Posted 10 years ago #
  15. Christine Berrett
    Administrator

Barbara's on a tandem? Not on my watch, she isn't!

Posted 10 years ago #
  16. I'm with you Rachel. Did once make a marvellous Vic sponge at my convent but was moved sideways to do Latin as being more that way inclined than domesticated, comes in handy now and then. At my Knitting group yesterday a friend and I were discussing sitting rooms etc and I said I only went into mine later in the day to stitch, knit or whatever. And she said, well for in the mornings for housework of course - silly girl. What planet is she on!

Posted 10 years ago #
  17. Barbara Stone

Okay Mrs. M. To answer your question - the pantomime hasn't taken place yet, and unless we can sell 900 tickets by next Wednesday, they are going to pull the plug and all the work I did on it will have been for nothing! To say that I'm an unhappy bunny is a bit of an understatement.

I could grow rice on my allotment, if the weather were warmer - there's about six inches of standing water which would make it ideal, so waders would be required.

However, the much beloved and I have been sorting out his mothers house and getting rid of everything to charity shops so we can sell the place, so I can't really say I've got nothing else to do. This afternoon, its time to paint some of the walls and get rid of the last few bits of china, make up adverts for the furniture nobody else wants and then start cleaning. Ho hum - at least reading the forum makes me smile. So I'm off now to load up the tandem and I'll be away.

Housework? What's that Monica?

Posted 10 years ago #
  18. More or less what I said Barbara! As to furniture my mother's is being collected by a charity. They take it for free and then can benefit by any sales they make. China - well that is sitting in my spare room and some of it was Mum and Dad's wedding presents, what to do. By the way I did half a term at school doing dressmaking, made the most hideous pea green pinafore dress you have ever seen

Posted 10 years ago #
  19. You lot do make me laugh
    I'm blessed with a husband who cooks & cleans - working part time has benefits
    Weekends at home are for stitching or biking - depends on weather. Stitching at bike weekends as well - what a lovely combination.
    We have been lucky with the weather being on the dry side of the Penines.
    I remember doing needlework at school, coming home & being made to re-do it all by my mum. Have never been confident with a sewing machine since - mum is wonderful in that department.
    Mick's mum bought me a 3D penguin to do for Christmas, a Nutmeg Company kit. The stitching has taken no time & now it's in the pile of UFOs to be made up
    Getting the needles & threads out now
    Love to you all

Posted 10 years ago #
  20. Ann S

Sewing, Latin and housework; what a varied topic this is becoming!! Did Latin at school to A level but at the cost of acquiring any domestic skills - the staff seemed to assume we were all going to an ivy covered seat of learning where we would have college servants to take care of such things !!!! We were given a year's sewing but it wasn't successful; the teacher rather scorned this so called 'clever' class and was so condescending; I didn't like her at all and she didn't like me!!!. In the 70s I acquired a Jones sewing machine and, inspired by Shirley Conran's 'Superwoman', I beavered away in the evenings - once children in bed - (daytimes not possible as I worked full time) trying to master the craft. The Jones was a horrid rough cast thing but I did eventually manage to conquer it and made all my daughter's dresses and used the machine to endlessly 'repair' my son's jeans.
    Nowadays, with a much nicer machine, I still sew but no longer attempt to make clothes; I make curtains and also do patchwork and machine quilting.
    Latin? Yes, it does come in useful in some ways; it certainly helped when I decided to learn Italian but my knowledge of the grammar is now almost non existent.

Housework - I hate it. For the first time in many years we are trying to cope with keeping the house clean without outside help; it's not working very well and I keep saying that we need to look for a cleaner. DH doesn't agree and then spends a morning hoovering etc (groaning throughout) which really winds me up when I should be grateful.
    Trouble is I've been spoilt for such a long time by having help and also that I hate seeing the dust pile up almost as much as I hate doing anything about it!! Perverse, or what? Ah well......

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.