The Cross Stitch Forum » CSG Forum

2014 2014 2014!!!

(46 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by Rachel H
  • Latest reply from Barbara Stone

No tags yet.

1. Barbara Stone

What an educated bunch you lot are! I went to the nearest technical high school, and had a choice of French or German. I picked French, and in three years we had 19 different teachers! I don't know why they all left, but nobody in the French group managed to get an O level. Sewing was not an option - we actually did Domestic Science, so consequently I can cook, but not to my mothers standards.

I remember that we did do sewing at junior school, but I hated it, cos the teacher insisted that I did it her way, and would brook no change. Only realised years later why I was unhappy - she was left handed and was trying to teach everything the wrong way to a right handed person. We never saw a sewing machine at school, so I'm self taught in that respect and I can do dress making as well as patchwork.

I can still remember bits of French which is helpful, but I wish I'd learnt it properly - it would have been such a good idea.

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. Brigitte Gant

I chose the language branch at grammar school, so 'Handarbeit' stopped after year two. However, my darling grandfather taught me the basics of cross stitch, crochet and knitting, in that order. He had been invalided out of the coal mine, so could spend the time with me. My grandmother had to earn their living by dressmaking. She was amazing on that Singer treadle. She could look at a dress on a shop's dummy, go home and make up the pattern for it. Unfortunately I have not inherited her skills on the machine, although I had some modest success with making simple dresses for my girls and myself when we lived in Dubai. I did make all the curtains for my first house and those for the children's rooms in the last. After that I gave it up and prefer to use the manual mode. DH uses our sewing machine these days and loves tinkering about with the two vintage knitting machines. But then he is very technically minded. I just drive the car.

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. 140559

I went to grammar school and we had to do French and Latin to O level. The only sewing we did was to make a hat, apron and tablecloth to use for domestic science. I hated it! So, after that I didn't touch a needle for about 15 years. Now I need to learn again once I get some feeling back. Don't think I'll go back to school though!

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. Jean Strange

I was the first year that didn't take the 11+ in Bristol and so went to one of the first comprehensive schools. We did sewing and cooking. Had to make a cookery apron and head band too I still have the apron 50+ years later with my then initials embroidered in chain stitch!

Did well in cookery.

The best memory is of my parents going to a meeting when we were choosing O level subjects. The sewing teacher was a large tall person. She first said I wasn't very good as I had not completed the compulsary garments. My Mum informed her that I had in fact completed these and made 2 other things. Teacher then said well I probably wouldn't be any good at the academic side. At which point my Dad said "Oh really but I've just been told my daughter is good at academic subjects." Reply was "Well I can have her in the class as anything I can teach a girl will always be useful." At which point in time my Mum drew herself up to her full 4foot 10inches and replied "I don't need you to teach her thank you I am a bespoke tailoress!!"

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. Brigitte Gant

Yes, sometimes teachers can be dreadful. As I told you, my grandfather taught me the basics of needlecraft, so by the time I was in 3rd year at elementary school (I had just turned 9) I could knit one, purl one with my eyes shut. So when 'Knitting' was on the time table after the summer break I took yarn and needles to knit a scarf for my brother for Christmas. After the teachers intro and demo I got on with it while she went round to the other girls to help them. By the time she got to me I had done a few rows. To my amazement she stood there, belting at me who had told me to start before she had shown me how to do it? Durrrrhhh.

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Jean Strange

Oh Brigitte I had a similar experience with knitting I could knit by the time I went to school at 5. One of the first things they wanted us to do was learn to knit I handed the needles and yarn to the teacher and asked her to cast on as I was not good at that. She did but looked as if she didn't believe I could do it. When she got to me a bit later and there was this neat strip of stocking stitch she said "you did mean it then"

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Barbara Stone

Just to let you know girls, that the panto is on again, so I'm going to be very busy from now until February 3rd.
    Going back to the subject of knitting - my mother has a very old photograph of me aged 3, sitting with my sister and grandmother, holding two knitting needles and a ball of wool, and I was "tinning". I'm a lot better at it now, than I was at that age, but at least I was showing willing!

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.